how cardiologists observe jugulars (w/beam of light on neck)

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

how cardiologists observe jugulars (w/beam of light on neck)

Postby Cece » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 am

"Cardiologists can estimate the blood pressure in the jugular vein (jugular venous pressure) by careful observation of the vein. This requires the patient to be lying down with the upper body at an angle of less than 30 degrees, with the neck muscles relaxed. The doctor usually observes the jugular vein from the side, aided by a beam of light shining on the patient's neck. From this perspective, he or she can observe the filling level of the jugular and estimate the blood pressure."

http://health.howstuffworks.com/disease ... ension.htm

This seems like something we can try at home. Not sure how strong the beam of light has to be.

Cece
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Cece
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Downunder » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm

This looks like the External Jugular which drains the face.

The Internal Jugular which drains the brain, is tucked in between the neck muscles.
Last edited by Downunder on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Downunder
Family Member

Postby Cece » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:48 pm

That makes a lot of sense. :oops: Thanks!
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Cece
Family Elder

Postby Downunder » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:43 pm

That's OK!!
I didn't understand the difference til I was on the table, minutes from my procedure asking my IR what was the difference and why wasn't the EJV being checked!!
Thankfully he didn't think I was an idiot!!
Downunder
Family Member

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)