Vertebral Vein Stenosis

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
baarhaus

Vertebral Vein Stenosis

Post by baarhaus »

I had a venogram today through the groin. The doc found no stenosis in the jugulars, he did not test the azygos vein, but found my left lateral vertebral vein outflow 100% blocked. He attempted to clear it through my neck, but was unsuccessful. He said he will contact Zamboni. I have a follow up appt. in 2 weeks. I can't help but think maybe my jugulars do have stenosis, he just didn't find it? Since I have mostly brain related symptoms, he didn't want to test the azygos. Too delicate and tough to find. This doc is an IR/VS and I was his first CCSVI patient. I have had RRMS for 11 years. I hope Dr. Sclafani can shed some light on this topic?
TMrox
Family Elder

Post by TMrox »

I'm glad that your doc will contact Zamboni. The fact that he does not test for the Azygous means that he is still learning how to diagnose CCSVI.

If you can send your doc this article:
http://www.fondazionehilarescere.org/pd ... 8-ANGY.pdf

There Zamboni explains that CCSVI is characterised by four types of hemodynamcis patterns (A,B,C,D). In A, B, D types the azygous vein is involved. Your doctor is only considering type C that is jugulars stenosed but normal azygous.

Overall Zamboni found that 86% of the tested MS patients had a problem with the azygous vein (stenosed, obstructed, twisted and so on). See page 185.

According to Simka's testimony in Canada he found:

1) CCSVI is highly correlated with MS.

Only 3% of MS who have been tested were negative for CCSVI (using doppler ultrasound, mrv and standard venography)

2) Localisation and severity of venous lesions significantly affect the clinic course of MS.

3) Injury to optic nerves were found more often in cases with unilateral lesions in the internal jugular veins. Whilst, bilateral stenoses in internal jugular veins were less frequent in this pathology.

4) More disabled patients were found to suffer from bilateral and or severe occlusions in the internal jugular veins.

5) The patients with stenosed azygous vein presented with the most aggressive clinical course of the disease.

Mention point number five to your doctor.

Rox
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

baarhaus
you need to post in Dr Sclafani's thread to bring it to his attention if you want to be sure of an answer....
baarhaus

Post by baarhaus »

Thank you for the info Rox.
I found the Dr. Sclafani's thread, thanks Shye.