Iron in the Brain

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
BooBear
Family Elder

Iron in the Brain

Post by BooBear »

A couple of highlights from "Iron in the Brain- An important contributor to normal and diseased states"- Domingo Pinero and James R. Connor.

1. Iron is essential for normal neurological function.
- oxidative metabolism
- cofactor in synthesis of neurotransmitters and myelin

2. Iron is the most important inducer of reactive oxidative species; relation of iron to neurodegenerative processes is more appreciated today.

3. Brain iron concentrations are not static. They increase with age and in many diseases and decrease when iron is deficient in the diet.

And my favorite highlight:

"MS warrants study in relation to iron availability. Myelin synthesis and maintenance have a high iron requirement, thus ogliodendrocytes must have a relatively high and constant supply of iron. However, high oxygen utilization, high density of lipids and high iron content of white matter all combine to increase the risk of oxidative damage."

This article was published in The Neuroscientist. Mr. Connor's email was published with the article as well- perhaps we can contact him (or the Alliance can, or I can for the Alliance- just let me know) to get his input on CCSVI?
Three veins angioplastied.  One renewed life.  
harpgirl
Family Member

Post by harpgirl »

So would a low fat diet help the iron relationship?
-<em> Cindy (aka Harpgirl)</em><br />
LadyDoe
Family Member

Post by LadyDoe »

What I had read last night was that neurologists are refuting the "iron overload" theory because MRI is supposed to detect iron causing oxidative damage. However, a few prominent studies found that weighted MRI detects highh iron concentration WITHIN the lesion - which is what you'd expect if the iron itself is causing oxidative stress. For some odd reason, neurolgists seem to think it should be found EXTERNAL of the lesion :S

Either way, I believe we could waltz into medical school and graduate on the spot with all this research we are doing FOR THEM
... if it's going to be, it's up to me ... :)