exercise and ccsvi

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
PCakes
Family Elder

exercise and ccsvi

Post by PCakes »

hi,

Throwing this out there.. is it possible that weight lifting might put undue stress on neck muscles and constrict adjacent vessels?

I am not a weight lifter but my obvious symptoms first presented the morning after helping a friend move.. during the move i reached out to block a falling box and wrenched my neck.

We need to exercise for vascular health but ....?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

It worries me too, but who knows?

I feel ill doing cardio and good doing strength training, so I've chosen to limit my cardio in favor of strength training.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

Not directly relevant but I have a pdf that was sent by a MS friend. Its exercises specific to MS. Also I dont know how to share articles.. Let me know ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

hi Cece .. i'm thinking about those that lift so heavy it looks as if their neck is going to burst. Not to say that's not you. :)

hi sbr487.. i would very much like to have a look..only 'shared' once myself and now can't remember how I did it. Something to do with parking it to another website..
Are the recommendations pre or post ccsvi theory?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

PCakes wrote:hi Cece .. i'm thinking about those that lift so heavy it looks as if their neck is going to burst. Not to say that's not you. :)
I think it's safe to say that's not me.... :lol:

I'd be interested in the article too.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
NotFound
Family Elder

Post by NotFound »

PCakes wrote:. i'm thinking about those that lift so heavy it looks as if their neck is going to burst.
Well, if there are MSers that can do THAT... Can I have their variety of MS?

All of MY muscles are deteriorating, not growing...
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

hi Not Found .. yes.. sorry.. i was thinking of those in the earlier stages fighting to stay healthy, maybe overdoing it and worried that they may be doing harm..
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Yep, intensity of exercise for the upper body/neck after angioplasty concerned me too. Guess this one has still to be resolved.
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

PCakes wrote: hi sbr487.. i would very much like to have a look..only 'shared' once myself and now can't remember how I did it. Something to do with parking it to another website..
Are the recommendations pre or post ccsvi theory?
Will do and let you guys know. I dont think it is a post-ccsvi development. Something to do with keep all body parts active ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

I thought photobucket would work but it does not ... also its a pain since it only allows media files to be uploaded. I tried renaming pdf to .mov and upload but some error. Until I figure out, send me a pm with mail id and I will post the pdf
- Max Planck
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Cerebral blood flow during exercise: mechanisms of regulation
Shigehiko Ogoh1 and Philip N. Ainslie2
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, Toyo University, Kawagoe-shi, Saitama, Japan; ; 2Department of Human Kinetics, Faculty of Health and Social Development, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Submitted 27 May 2009 ; accepted in final form 1 September 2009

The response of cerebral vasculature to exercise is different from other peripheral vasculature; it has a small vascular bed and is strongly regulated by cerebral autoregulation and the partial pressure of arterial carbon dioxide (PaCO2). In contrast to other organs, the traditional thinking is that total cerebral blood flow (CBF) remains relatively constant and is largely unaffected by a variety of conditions, including those imposed during exercise. Recent research, however, indicates that cerebral neuronal activity and metabolism drive an increase in CBF during exercise. Increases in exercise intensity up to 60% of maximal oxygen uptake produce elevations in CBF, after which CBF decreases toward baseline values because of lower PaCO2 via hyperventilation-induced cerebral vasoconstriction. This finding indicates that, during heavy exercise, CBF decreases despite the cerebral metabolic demand. In contrast, this reduced CBF during heavy exercise lowers cerebral oxygenation and therefore may act as an independent influence on central fatigue. In this review, we highlight methodological considerations relevant for the assessment of CBF and then summarize the integrative mechanisms underlying the regulation of CBF at rest and during exercise. In addition, we examine how CBF regulation during exercise is altered by exercise training, hypoxia, and aging and suggest avenues for future research.
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/a ... 107/5/1370
This is regarding aerobic exercise. I can make myself feel really ill by exercising. If cerebral oxygenation drops during exercise, straining an already strained brain, that could explain it. Still important to exercise though, as much as we are able....
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I mentioned something somewhere yesterday about the fact that anaerobic exercise seems to exercise the vascular pump, which is implicated in reflux. I ain't no doctor nor no expert but I think when I get nauseation of a certain kind (like from over-drinking, spinning till dizzy, quick head movement, etc. my brain must be involved (JMO). So reflux is the first thing I think of, and I get this if I point my head downward.

Less I have of it the safer I feel.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)