Dr. Kirsty Duncan-pure gold

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
garyak
Family Elder

Dr. Kirsty Duncan-pure gold

Post by garyak »

This Canadian Member of Parliament continues to fight hard for MSers . She has been a miracle worker tirelessly fighting on our behalf;

http://www.insidetoronto.com/community/ ... als-for-ms
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Thanks garyak for posting that link. You are so right about Dr. Kirsty Duncan-being pure gold. We could use some clones from her, lol.

I started a seperate thread on this subject even before I read this article. But I'm reposting it here because if folks read your link first to the above article, then they will definately get the connection.
In the book called, Wrong, by David H. Freedman. The subtitle is, Why experts keep failing us - and how to know when not to trust them.

In the book, Freedman argues, “Experts are rarely interested in getting at the truth, whatever it may be. What they want to do is prove that certain things are true. Which things? Well, whatever they happen to believe is true, for reasons, or whatever will benefit their careers or status or funding the most.

Yes, scientists, even prestigious ones, being human, are subject to pressures to cheat. Getting published. Getting grants. Getting press.

Finally there is the problem of consensus. “There’s a cultural norm of how we’re supposed to behave as professionals, and part of it is that we’re overly trained in consensus,” said Daniel Eisenstadt, director, a Harvard business school graduate quoted in Wrong.

That culture favors building on others opinions rather than challenging them.

Once a majority opinion is formed, even highly competent, confident people are reluctant to voice opinions that go against it, Freedman reports.

Wrong reports that groups amplify bias, squash minority points of view and can even overcome the correct point of view when it’s the majority view. “In most situations, truth doesn’t win out in groups.” Especially when big money, in the form of corporate grants and yes, government grants, is at stake.

For instance, why would a university that depends heavily on government grants go out of its way to condemn a professor who landed government millions for research?”

“Don’t overestimate the expertise of experts.”
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Hey, pharmaceuticals lobby with gifts, right? We should club together and buy her a bouquet of flowers or a yacht or something.
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

Dr. Duncan doesn't want flowers or a yacht. She simply wants to see CCSVI treatment available to Canadians right here at home. Dr. Duncan's cousin has rapidly progressing MS. Dr. Duncan is trying to make a difference for her cousin and for all of us.

We need more like politicians like Dr. Duncan.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Kirsty Duncan-pure gold

Post by Cece »

http://www.corrieretandem.com/viewstory ... quote]Over the past two years, Duncan has consulted with several international experts and participated in seven of the nine conferences on CCSVI. She spoke twice at the recent International Society for Neurovascular Disease (ISNVD) summit held in Orlando, Florida.

“I also spent hundreds of hours reviewing magnetic resonance images and studying the liberation procedure,” Duncan points out. Along with MP Carolyn Bennett, she then took the CCSVI battle to parliament in May of 2010, requesting the launch of trials and a national registry.[/quote] How many politicians have spent hundreds of hours reviewing images and studying the procedure? How many of the experts that Canada has consulted could say the same? I was looking for a thread to post this in and PURE GOLD seemed like a perfect descriptor.
CureIous
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Kirsty Duncan-pure gold

Post by CureIous »

Having met her briefly at the SD symposium, I can say she is also that rare gem that mixes kind and gracious atop all the other deserving adjectives. She represents us well. (Let's all pitch in and buy her a randomized double-blinded placebo controlled study in lieu of the yacht and flowers)
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap