ECTRIMS 2010 (Sweden) List of CCSVI Presentations

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Shayk
Family Elder

ECTRIMS 2010 (Sweden) List of CCSVI Presentations

Post by Shayk »

Hi all

Here's a list of upcoming presentations at the ECTRIMS 2010 Conference.

Unfortunately, I couldn't locate links to abstracts of the presentations. I obtained the list by searching "CCSVI" in the scientific program. Ectrims 2010 Gothenberg, Sweden

Anyone planning to attend and report back?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010
12:35 - 12:45 European Charcot Foundation
Chronic cerebrospinal venous Insufficiency. Relation to multiple sclerosis? (Main Auditorium)

CCSVI: from hypothesis to reality
P. Zamboni (Ferrara, IT)

12:45 - 13:00 European Charcot Foundation
Chronic cerebrospinal venous Insufficiency. Relation to multiple sclerosis? (Main Auditorium)
CCSVI: relation to multiple sclerosis
R. Zivadinov (Buffalo, US)

13:15 - 13:30 European Charcot Foundation
Questions on CCSVI in multiple sclerosis
O. Kahn (Detroit, US)

Thursday, October 14, 2010
15:30 - 17:00 Imaging 1
MRI results of blinded chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency study in patients with multiple sclerosis, healthy controls and patients with other neurologic diseases P 318

R. Zivadinov, G. Cutter, K. Marr, M. Ramanathan, R.H.B. Benedict, M. Elfadil, N. Bergsland, C. Morgan, E. Carl, D. Hojnacki, E. Yeh, L. Willis, M. Cherneva, S. Hussein, J. Durfee, C. Kennedy, M. Dwyer, B. Weinstock-Guttman (Buffalo, Birmingham, US)

15:30 - 17:00 Genetics/transcriptomics 1
Associations of HLA DR*1501 status and chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis P 265

B. Weinstock-Guttman, R. Zivadinov, G. Cutter, M. Tamano-Blanco, D. Badgett , K. Marr, E. Carl, M. Elfadil, C. Kennedy, M. Ramanathan (Buffalo, Birmingham, US)

15:30 - 17:00 Therapy disease-modifying - Others 1
Endovascular treatment for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis. A longitudinal pilot study P 508

P. Zamboni, R. Galeotti, B. Weinstock-Guttman, G. Cutter, E. Menegatti, A.M. Malagoni, D. Hojnacki, M. Dwyer, N. Bergsland, M. Hiennen-Brown, A. Salter, C. Kennedy, I. Bartolomei, F. Salvi, R. Zamboni (Ferrara, IT; Buffalo, Birmingham, US; Bologna, IT)

Friday, October 15, 2010
09:45 - 10:00 Platform presentation of selected abstracts I (Congress Hall)
No evidence of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in clinically isolated syndrome suggestive of multiple sclerosis 81

C. Baracchini, P. Perini, M. Calabrese, F. Causin, F. Farina, F. Rinaldi, P. Gallo (Padua, IT)

10:00 - 10:15 Platform presentation of selected abstracts I (Congress Hall)
Presence and severity of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is related to lower brain parenchyma venous vasculature visibility on susceptibility-weighted imaging in patients with multiple sclerosis 82

R. Zivadinov, G. Poloni, C. Schirda, C. Magnano, E. Carl, N. Bergsland, D. Hojnacki, C. Kennedy, F. Parker, M. Dwyer, B. Weinstock-Guttman (Buffalo, US)

15:30 - 17:00 Therapy disease-modifying - Others 2
Safety and complications related to endovascular treatment for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis patients P 914

M. Simka, T. Ludyga, M. Kazibudzki, M. Hartel, M. Swierad, J. Piegza, P. Latacz, L. Sedlak, M. Tochowicz (Katowice, Zabrze, PL)

15:30 - 17:00 Imaging 2
Use of magnetic resonance venography for visualisation of the internal jugular veins in patients with multiple sclerosis diagnosed with chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and treated with percutaneous angioplasty P 773

A. Lopez-Soriano, R. Zivadinov, R. Galeotti, D. Hojnacki, E. Menegatti, C. Schirda, A.M. Malagoni, K. Marr, C. Kennedy, I. Bartolomei, C. Magnano, F. Salvi, B. Weinstock-Guttman, P. Zamboni (Buffalo, US; Bologna, IT)
15:30 - 17:00 Clinical assessment tools 2

Clinical correlates of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis P 653

B. Weinstock-Guttman, G. Cutter, K. Marr, D. Hojnacki, M. Ramanathan, R.H.B. Benedict, C. Morgan, E.A. Yeh, E. Carl, C. Kennedy, J. Reuther, C. Brooks, M. Elfadil, M. Andrews, R. Zivadinov (Buffalo, Birmingham, US)

15:30 - 17:00 MS symptoms 2
Correlation of localisation and severity of extracranial venous lesions with clinical status of multiple sclerosis P 641

M. Simka, T. Ludyga, M. Kazibudzki, A. Adamczyk-Ludyga, J. Wrobel, P. Latacz, J. Piegza, M. Swierad (Katowice, PL)

15:30 - 17:00 Pathology 2
Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is an unlikely cause of multiple sclerosis P 663

B. Yamout, A. Herlopian, Z. Issa, R.H. Habib, A. Fawaz, J. Salameh, H. Wadih, H. Awdeh, N. Muallem, R. Raad, A. Al-Kutoubi (Beirut, LB)

15:30 - 17:00 Imaging 2
Multiple sclerosis patients with chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency present with increased iron concentration on susceptibility-weighted imaging in deep-grey matter P 774

R. Zivadinov, M. Heininen-Brown, C. Schirda, C. Magnano, D. Hojnacki, C. Kennedy, E. Carl, N. Bergsland, S. Hussein, M. Cherneva, L. Willis, M. Dwyer, B. Weinstock-Guttman (Buffalo, US)

15:30 - 17:00 Diagnosis & differential diagnosis 2
No evidence for cerebro-cervical venous congestion in patients with multiple sclerosis P 579

F. Doepp, F. Paul, J.M. Valdueza, K. Schmierer, S.J. Schreiber (Berlin, Bad Segeberg, DE; London, UK)

Now, we get to wait for all the content.....I'm guessing this last German presentation will more or less mirror what's already been published.

Take care all...

Sharon
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Fantastic list!
Presence and severity of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is related to lower brain parenchyma venous vasculature visibility on susceptibility-weighted imaging in patients with multiple sclerosis 82

R. Zivadinov, G. Poloni, C. Schirda, C. Magnano, E. Carl, N. Bergsland, D. Hojnacki, C. Kennedy, F. Parker, M. Dwyer, B. Weinstock-Guttman (Buffalo, US)
Can anyone help me interpret what lower brain parenchyma venous vasculature visibility means?
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

So I guess the news is good from BNAC, or they wouldn't be spending all that time on presentations?
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

wow!!
Cece wrote:Fantastic list!

Can anyone help me interpret what lower brain parenchyma venous vasculature visibility means?
Parenchyma: The key elements of an organ essential to its functioning, as distinct from the capsule that encompasses it and other supporting structures. The parenchyma is thus opposed to the connective tissue framework, or stroma, of an organ. The parenchyma of the testis consists of what are called the seminiferous tubules.

The Greek word "parenchyma" means "that which is poured in." It reflects the ancient (and erroneous) idea that the inner substance of solid organs like the liver, spleen and kidneys was formed by blood that was poured into it.

The word is pronounced "pa-ren-ki-ma" with the "y" in "parenchyma" pronounced as a short "i" rather than as "eye."
Had to look that one up... my 'stab at it'.. "there is a relationship between the severity of ccsvi and the ability to 'see' the lower brain's vascular structure in SWI of MS patients"... so if we see 'this' we can assume 'that'?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

My take is that if you use SWI, you're gonna see indications of CCSVI severity in the lower brain case vasculature. Apparently we can image some kind of marker for severity there. Probably iron,but whadoiknow?

Whether this relates directly to disability or other symptoms, you have to wait for this paper.... :)
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Here's something that comes up when I google it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 8/abstract

Dr. Haacke is one of the authors, I just don't understand what is meant by it exactly....
Diminished visibility of cerebral venous vasculature in multiple sclerosis by susceptibility-weighted imaging at 3.0 Tesla
Yulin Ge MD1,*, Vahe M. Zohrabian MD1, Etin-Osa Osa MD1, Jian Xu PhD2, Hina Jaggi RT1, Joseph Herbert MD3, E. Mark Haacke PhD4, Robert I. Grossman MD1
So they've associated the diminished visibility of cerebral venous vasculature with MS, then also associated the diminished visibility of lower brain parenchymal venous vasculature with CCSVI....

Here also are some presentations by Zamboni at the April Toronto AAN meeting, so maybe this has been covered before & I'm just getting thrown by the terminology.
Poloni GU, Zamboni P, Haacke EM, Bastianello S, Dwyer MG, Bergsland N, Schirda C, Wack D, Magnano C, Weinstock-Guttman B, Salvi F, Hojnacki D, Zivadinov R: Quantitative Venous Vasculature Assessment on Susceptibility-Weighted Imaging Reflects Presence of Severe Chronic Venous Insufficiency in the Brain Parenchyma of Multiple Sclerosis Patients. A Case-Control Study. 14 Apr, Integrated Neuroscience: Multiple Sclerosis Imaging (2:00 PM-3:30 PM). [pres_poloni10a]
Zamboni P, Menegatti E, Weinstock-Guttman B, Dwyer MG, Schirda C, Malagoni AM, Hojnacki D, Kennedy C, Carl E, Bergsland N, Magnano C, Bartolomei I, Salvi F, Zivadinov R : Hypoperfusion of Brain Parenchyma Is Strongly Associated with the Severity of Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis. 14 Apr, Poster Session III: Multiple Sclerosis and Related Diseases: MRI/Technique (7:30 AM-12:00 PM). [pos_zamboni10a]
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

Cece wrote:Here's something that comes up when I google it.

This is fascinating.. i 'read' it twice and it sounded to me that the dimished vascular system was hypothesized to be as a result of the lesions..
Our finding of decreased visibility of veins in periventricular white matter in MS is thought to be a result of decreased oxygen utilization in the chronic and widespread diseased tissue state of MS that lends to decreased levels of oxygen extraction, or correspondingly, decreased levels of venous deoxyhemoglobin.
and then..or is it the other way around?...
however, that diminished venous vasculature on SWI in MS represents altered venous hemodynamics or venous vascular occlusions (15). A previous study of ours in MS patients found significantly reduced cerebral blood flow in normal appearing white matter using perfusion MRI (16).

To me this is another 'makes sense' scenario. If blood flow is impeded.. vessels diminish..
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

PCakes wrote:
Cece wrote:Here's something that comes up when I google it.

This is fascinating.. i 'read' it twice and it sounded to me that the dimished vascular system was hypothesized to be as a result of the lesions..
Our finding of decreased visibility of veins in periventricular white matter in MS is thought to be a result of decreased oxygen utilization in the chronic and widespread diseased tissue state of MS that lends to decreased levels of oxygen extraction, or correspondingly, decreased levels of venous deoxyhemoglobin.
Sounds like a catch-22. The decreased oxygen utilization leads to decreased oxygen extraction. And decreased extraction means there is less to utilize. Deoxyhemoglobin decreases why?

Decreased visibility of veins, it seems to me, sounds like they are there but we can't see them? Maybe because there is no blood in them? I thought blocked veins meant there is blood, it's just slow-flow.
and then..or is it the other way around?...
however, that diminished venous vasculature on SWI in MS represents altered venous hemodynamics or venous vascular occlusions (15). A previous study of ours in MS patients found significantly reduced cerebral blood flow in normal appearing white matter using perfusion MRI (16).

To me this is another 'makes sense' scenario. If blood flow is impeded.. vessels diminish..
Vessels diminish, and we react with new corollary veins?
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

This 'guess what the paper says without buying a copy' game is fun... :?

The first time around I missed the phrase "Severe CCSVI" which sounds like it's worse than the usual CCSVI; perhaps the news is we can diagnose CCSVI severity? (without reference to MS symptoms or severity?)
Not a doctor.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

what I love about this is just how many references to CCSVI there are at ECTRIMS this year compared to last. A year ago I saw my neuro and when I brought up CCSVI (for the second time with him), he said he was going to ECTRIMS, and if it was anything in MS, it would be presented there. HA! :D
sbr487
Family Elder

Re: ECTRIMS 2010 (Sweden) List of CCSVI Presentations

Post by sbr487 »

Shayk wrote: 15:30 - 17:00 Genetics/transcriptomics 1
Associations of HLA DR*1501 status and chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis P 265
Is the buffalo team studying relation of CCSVI to genes?
If this is true, its really a news to me!!!
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

Once these papers are presented are they available, or do you have to wait for them to be published?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

15:30 - 17:00 Therapy disease-modifying - Others 1
Endovascular treatment for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis. A longitudinal pilot study P 508

P. Zamboni, R. Galeotti, B. Weinstock-Guttman, G. Cutter, E. Menegatti, A.M. Malagoni, D. Hojnacki, M. Dwyer, N. Bergsland, M. Hiennen-Brown, A. Salter, C. Kennedy, I. Bartolomei, F. Salvi, R. Zamboni (Ferrara, IT; Buffalo, Birmingham, US; Bologna, IT)
This would be a good thing if it were not Randomized, Placebo-controlled, really I don't care too much about the blinding... A multi-center large-scale study that includes Liberation for every person formerly diagnosed with MS! Could be paid for by savings to insurance companies and government health- care.
Not a doctor.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks for the schedule, Shayk. Very interesting to see some new names here. The MS Center of the Veneto, Italy region is represented by the neurologists from there---their other research has been on cyclophosphamide therapy for MS and immune phenotypes. Always interesting to see who doesn't find CCSVI....

Hope Holly from Accelerated Cure is going. I can't get away...October is crazy busy this year.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
leooreo
Getting to Know You...

ECTRIMS

Post by leooreo »

How exciting. Will this eventually be seen on youtube?? I hope. Watching this live will be a thrill.