Exercise is important

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
daniel
Family Elder

Exercise is important

Post by daniel »

For those following special diets for endovascular health, don't forget to include exercise in your regimine:

National Institute of Health and Nutrition reports research in hypertension
Fresh data on hypertension are presented in the report 'Longer time spent in light physical activity is associated with reduced arterial stiffness in older adults.' "Habitual moderate-to-vigorous-intensity physical activity attenuates arterial stiffening. However, it is unclear whether light physical activity also attenuates arterial stiffening," investigators in Tokyo, Japan report (see also Hypertension).

"It is also unclear whether light physical activity has the same effects in fit and unfit individuals. This cross-sectional study was performed to determine the relationships between amount of light physical activity determined with a triaxial accelerometer and arterial stiffness. A total of 538 healthy men and women participated in this study. Subjects in each age category were divided into either high-light or low-light physical activity groups based on daily time spent in light physical activity. Arterial stiffness was measured by carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity. Two-way ANOVA indicated a significant interaction between age and time spent in light physical activity in determining carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (p <0.05). In the older group, carotid femoral pulse wave velocity was higher in the low-light physical activity level group than in the high-light physical activity level group (945??19 versus 882??16 cm/s; p<0.01). The difference remained significant after normalizing carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity for amounts of moderate and vigorous physical activity. The carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (r=-0.47; p<0.01) was correlated with daily time spent in light physical activity in older unfit subjects. No relationship was observed in older fit subjects," wrote Y. Gando and colleagues, National Institute of Health and Nutrition.

The researchers concluded: "These results suggested that longer time spent in light physical activity is associated with attenuation of arterial stiffening, especially in unfit older people."

Gando and colleagues published their study in Hypertension (Longer time spent in light physical activity is associated with reduced arterial stiffness in older adults. Hypertension, 2010;56(3):540-6).

For additional information, contact Y. Gando, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1-23-1 Toyama, Shinjuku, Tokyo, 162-8636, Japan.

Keywords: City:Tokyo, Country:Japan, Angiology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Hypertension, Vascular Diseases.

This article was prepared by Cardiovascular Week editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2010, Cardiovascular Week via NewsRx.com.

<shortened url>
If it has a great effect on arteries, I'd be willing to put my money the same or very similar will apply to veins.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Daniel--
this is the absolute truth. Cardiovascular exercise is of great benefit to the endothelium, the lining of both arteries and veins. Exercise enhances nitric oxide distribution, promotes vasodilation and improves peak oxygen uptake.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/490847_4

Jeff has taken it upon himself to work out everyday--and is now mountain biking at a new level of intensity. His headaches are gone, he's lost those middle-aged 10 (I seem to have found them...) and he feels great. If there is any way people can move --swimming, yoga, exercise bike--it is one of the best things you can do. It was Dr. John Cooke's book, The Cardiovascular Cure, that helped me to understand this. It's now in the Endothelial Health program at www.ccsvi.org under Helping Myself.
thanks for the reminder,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Montana
Family Member

Exercise

Post by Montana »

Suggest a book by John J. Ratey, MD called "SPARK: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain". I probably would not have picked this book to read, but a physician in my book club chose it and I'm glad it was required reading. It definitely has application for those of us struggling with diminishing cognition and faulty wiring.
BooBear
Family Elder

Post by BooBear »

I have also commenced daily exercise (at least 20-30 minutes per day of aerobic) since my Liberation. I concur with Cheer's comments- in fact, I feel pretty darn good.

I believe the exercise is just another weapon in the healing arsenal. It's not revolutionary to discover that exercise is good for you- but since the Liberation, I can tolerate (dare say enjoy it!) it because nothing hurts anymore. :)
Three veins angioplastied.  One renewed life.  
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

thanks, it confirmed what i already knew, but this pushed me to get back on track and keep at it. yes, its painfully slow, but the right thing to do..