Anyone in Ontario been tested/treated for CCSVI?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
hlm286
Family Elder

Anyone in Ontario been tested/treated for CCSVI?

Post by hlm286 »

I'm in Ontario and haven't really researched where to get CCSVI testing and or treatment done, but I've recently heard of some local people going to Mexico, Poland, etc. for the treatment...

I thought they do it in the States now? Is it a longer waiting list for the U.S. and that's why people are going abroad?

I don't think there is anywhere in Canada that does the treatment, however I did find a place in toronto that does the testing but I question whether it would be up to standards to get accurate results?

Anyone local have advice?

Do you think the treatment will be coming to Canada soon?

Thank you!
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

I was tested with Doppler ultrasound at Barrie Vascular Imaging in Barrie. Angie, the technologist there, was the first in North America to train with Dr. Zamboni. She is the only tech in North America considered qualified by Dr. Zamboni to teach other techs.

I understand the tech at Toronto Centre for Medical Imaging has been trained by Angie, so should be well trained. TCFMI also has another location in Port Perry.

So, if you are to be tested by any of those locations, you should be in knowledgeable and capable hands.

You are correct no physician in Ontario (or in Canada) is permitted to treat CCSVI, although Dr. McDonald in Barrie and Dr. Godley in Vancouver are both ready to go if they ever get approval from College of Physicians and Surgeons.

That's what this whole fight is about. Let the docs who are willing do what they are trained, skilled and experienced in doing.
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

Thanks for the info!

Do you know if there is a long waiting list?

The place i found before was in Missisauga I think and it was around $2200 just for the testing and atleast a 6 month waiting list...
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

Don't pay $2200 in Mississaugua! Toronto Centre for Medical Imaging accepts OHIP and health cards from other provinces except Quebec,

A while ago, there was only a week's waiting list for Toronto. I think they have filled up since then, so the wait is longer, but give them a call. Here is their website" www.tcfmi.com which has their phone number and other info. The Toronto location is downtown near the train station. The Port Perry location is east of Toronto.

Barrie Vascular Imaging is not charging for Dopplers, but they have a waiting list. I'm not sure how long. It was about two months for me when I contacted them in April, but it's much longer now that more people know about it. Their website: www.barrievascularimaging.com

Both locations require a referral from a physician. The referral doesn'have to be from a neurologist. It can be from your family doc.

Good Luck.
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

Thank you so much for your help! I called the place in TO and got my name put on a waiting list. I didn't ask how long it will be though, so I might call back later and ask.

What is the difference between what they do and getting a doppler done? Why did you go to both?

Sorry, I just don't know a lot about it yet.
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

I didn't go to both locations. I only went to Barrie. I know about the Toronto and Port Perry centres from information on this and another website.

I think the locations I gave are the only ones in Ontario to do Doppler ultrasounds for CCSVI. I don't know what tests they do in Mississaugua.

I hope this helps.