Other veins involved in CCSVI??

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
selkie
Family Elder

Other veins involved in CCSVI??

Post by selkie »

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but since I've forgotten the names of the veins I can't do a search.

It seems to me I've read of two other veins in the lumbar or spinal region that are sometimes being ballooned instead of or in addition to the azygos (and jugulars). Does anyone know the names of these veins?

One begins with an "i" and my faulty memory is thinking something like ithiliac but that may not even be close considering my cog-fog.

Can anyone let me know what the names of those veins are? I think this is a rather recent development that some IRs are looking at these.

TY, selkie
frodo
Family Elder

Re: Other veins involved in CCSVI??

Post by frodo »

selkie wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed before, but since I've forgotten the names of the veins I can't do a search.

It seems to me I've read of two other veins in the lumbar or spinal region that are sometimes being ballooned instead of or in addition to the azygos (and jugulars). Does anyone know the names of these veins?

One begins with an "i" and my faulty memory is thinking something like ithiliac but that may not even be close considering my cog-fog.

Can anyone let me know what the names of those veins are? I think this is a rather recent development that some IRs are looking at these.

TY, selkie
maybe innominate vein?
Badger
Family Elder

Post by Badger »

The Iliac vein - It runs somewhere near the Azygos vein and due to the increase in blow flow the body uses this as a collatoral.

I am no Dr by the way it is just what I have read. :wink:
<em>Badger
RRMS 2004</em>
Appt Katowice 23/24th March
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

I often wonder if it also could be postural. My azygous/iliac/whatever might look fine when I'm in the tube; but I spend 14 hours a day sit :?

And I have done so for the past 30 years...?
Nunzio
Family Elder

Re: Other veins involved in CCSVI??

Post by Nunzio »

selkie wrote:

TY, selkie
It is the left iliac vein and the left renal vein.
These are the first checked by Dr. Galeotti, the IR working with Zamboni.
The implication is that if they are blocked or restricted than the blood flow is diverted through the azygous vein, instead of going through the inferior vena cava, overloading it and not allowing proper drainage from the spine.
Everybody here brings happiness, somebody by coming,others by leaving.  PPMS since 2000<br />
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I think the name of the veins are vertebral veins.
Look at this. http://uprightdoctor.wordpress.com/
selkie
Family Elder

Post by selkie »

Thanks all, yes the iliac vein is definitely one I'd heard of a few people having ballooned. Thanks for the links and ideas!

selkie
marcstck
Family Elder

Post by marcstck »

Other veins likely to be involved with CCSVI are the iliac vein, the lumbar veins, and the vertebral veins.

Quite likely, liberation procedures done a year from now will be much different from those done today. We are at the very dawning of an age of discovery.
auburntiger
Getting to Know You...

Post by auburntiger »

Can the doctors treat these other veins-iliac, lumbar, vertebral? I haven't seen patients update about getting these treated only looked at in testing.

What is the real story?
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

Check "May-Thurner and MS/check it out" thread.
frijkaard
Getting to Know You...

Post by frijkaard »

I was " liberated" a couple of weeks ago here in the States. I had blockage in my left jugular and the azygos. Since that time, I have rested most of the time as I keep reading on this board that you should take it easy and get lots of rest following the procedure. Although I didn't feel the instant eurphoria of better balance just after the operation, some of my condition has improved slightly. I lifted my arms(starting at the sides of my waist) and I noticed I could barely left my left arm. In fact, it started hurting when I tried to lift it for a few seconds. My whole left side was weak before and after the "liberation". I wonder if this could be as a result of blockage in the iliac, lumbar, or vetebral veins. Does anybody know? Or have any comments on the subject?(I'm all ears)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I understand that the focus is on the veins in the CCSVI hypothesis. Have any scientists checked for narrowing in the arteries, the other half of the circulatory system? I am wondering if there could be problems in all the blood vessels, both arteries AND veins.