Does CCSVI stop progression?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
javabean
Family Member

Does CCSVI stop progression?

Post by javabean »

I feel like I may be redundant here, but I have been so caught up in the idea of my symptoms imroproving from my upcoming procedure, I have lost sight that maybe it's best to remember it may stop progression. I don't know if it it's just implied that once veins are fixed the disease is halted, or if it has bees stated by Zamboni or other rersearchers.

I also have to remember that I haven't even been scanned to see if I have blockages. Putting the cart before the horse I know, but I can't seem to help living with this hope in the forefront of my mind.
Thanks!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I think it is still too early to know. There's one endovascular treatment trial by Dr. Zamboni that lasted 18 months, IIRC. Some patients did experience relapses in the trial but all who relapsed were found to have restenosed. I believe progression was minimal but there was no control group to compare it with so who knows? Overall I am optimistic, there are many reasons to think CCSVI may be directly causing MS and the progression.
welshman
Family Elder

Post by welshman »

Javabean it sounds like you are going to be treated shortly, and IMHO the realistic way to look at CCSVI is that stopping the progression is the real benefit - if indeed CCSVI has caused the MS symptoms (or has contributed to them) it has taken many years to do that, opening up the veins and correcting the bloodflow will hopefully stop any further damage being done. Of course the damage that has been done may or may not be corrected, only time will tell.

My wife will be treated in two weeks time, and I really try and impress on her that the major goal is stopping this "thing" getting any worse, but we will accept any improvements, immediate or over time, as the bonus.

J/B wishing you the best.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi

Agree with Cece: It’s too soon to answer that question
However, I don’t think we should wait for any result before acting. The clock is ticking, and time is not on our side.

My personal experience may mean that treating CCSVI would stop ms progression. Indeed, after treating my CCSVI, my ppms progression stopped (I was not treated surgically, but I am taking natural herbs that thin my blood)

Is that the consequence of my CCSVI treatment? Or it’s the natural evolution of my ms?

I will get the answer, later

Cheers
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

We've heard reports where CCSVI treatment seems to have stopped progression. We've also heard a very few reports of confirmed progression after CCSVI treatment. Of course there's always the bugaboo that the CCSVI may have restenosed allowing the progression.

javabean, best wishes with the scan and potential treatment, it's most likely that you do have blockages because nearly everyone with MS does!