CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Rogan,
Thanks for the compliment.

In answer to your question, cells in the brain are surrounded by interstitial fluid. It is a bit more complicated but basically CSF leaves the subarachnoid space and travels down the arterial perivascular (Verchow-Robins) spaces where it mixes with interstitial fluids (ISF). The CSF and ISF mix and travel up venous perivascular pathways to re-enter the subarachnoid space. The CSF and ISF mixture leave the subarahnoid space via the arachnoid granulations and enter the dural sinuses (large veins) of the brain. Because CSF moves and removes ISF it is essentially the lymphatic system of the brain which is what I call it in my book. More recently, researchers have referred to it as the glymphatic system of the brain because it involves glial (astrocyte) cells. They simply added the letter G from glial cells to the word lymphatic and came up with a catchy new name.
SteveSnow
Family Member

Post by SteveSnow »

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... s/MRI1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... s/MRI2.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... s/MRI3.jpg

Dr. Flanagan. My wife's Mri results from a few months ago, although her condition wasn't as bad at all then. I know it shows high signals at both the L5 and C1 regions. Although her spine had changed from original it did not get mentioned as they had nothing previous to compare it too, but the osteopath was surprised how quickly her spine deviated after his treatments.
[cen]I have taken the liberty of setting up a live chat in the hope that people will come and chat with me about my wife's medical situation

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=ThisIsMS[/cen]
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Steve,
Your wife has significant spondylosis (degenerative changes), kyphosis (reverse curve) and lateral stenosis (narrowing) in her lower cervical spine with possible nerve root irritation. She also has spondylosis and lateral stenosis with possible compression of nerve roots in her lower lumbar spine. These findings need to be compared to physical exam findings especially muscles reflexes, strength and stretch tests along with tension tests to check for radiculopahty which is compression and irritation of the nerve roots. Dr. Grant should be able to perform those tests and give you an answer. The spasms may be simply muscle in nature or they could be due to compression of the nerves roots causing an antalgic lean, which I discussed previously. An anatalgic lead causes the body to tilt away from the compressed nerve root. When they become chronic antalgic leans cause additional musculoskeletal strains and sprains. A rough manipulation of the spine could easily have irritated the joints, connective tissues, cartilage and nerve roots and caused the current condition. Your doctor should be able to prescribe antiinflammatory or antispasmodic medication. Physiotherapy is also very effective for all of the above.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Rogan,
Breakdown of the blood brain barrier is not the "hallmark" of neurodegenerative diseases. It is a suspected but unsubstantiated cause of certain neurodegenerative diseases. In most cases, there is no evidence of wide spread break down of the blood brain barrier and certainly none that would explain the signs and symptoms seen in neurodegenerative conditions.

Normally, blood and CSF don't mix but the blood brain barrier does break down in traumatic brain injuries and hemorrhagic strokes as well as other systemic conditions. When blood enters CSF its thicker particles can plug up the CSF drainage valves called arachnoid granulations and thus increase intracranial pressure.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi dr. flanagan, hope all is ok with you and you are above water and safe. i hear you speak of going for a swim in the river. with sandy being the nasty girl she is i hope she doesn't decide to invade your neighborhood.

i heard a loud roar of thunder and bam here came the snow. but so far here in my neck of woods we're safe. this is all pretty freaky. my heart goes out to the ones getting pounded.

you and your family stay safe and dry. you all are in my thoughts and prayers.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Dr F,
are CPn or Lyme disease categorised as Neurodegenerative diseases

I seem to be at odds the term.

Regards,
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Nigel,
Although there is some speculation about the possible role of infections as causative agents, CPn and Lyme disease are not considered to be or categorized as neurodegenerative diseases.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Blossom for your prayers and concern. Fortunately we are about seventy feet above the two rivers that flow through our area. I stowed away all loose items, battened down the hatches, charged emergency lights and checked my food and water storage yesterday. I got up early this morning and the fickle Ms. Sandy never even showed up - no wind, no rain, no nothing. I try to always be prepared for emergencies anyway. The house stays warm no matter what thanks to our fantastic Finnish style contraflow masonary fireplace and solor hot water and radiant floor heat. I am looking into adding a medium size battery backup system in the near future.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I hope all is well with you Blossom. It sounds like your neck of the woods took the brunt of the storm as it tracked west. One of my brothers is without power and a tunnel project he is working on that goes under the East River is flooded. We haven't heard yet from my niece and her family living in NYC or my brother's family in Rhode Island.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

According to the study below, low levels of vitamin D have been associated with various age-related diseases. This study, however, showed just the opposite. It showed that lower levels of vitamin D is associated with a lower prevalence of age-related diseases and a higher propensity to reach old. Epidemiological studies should never be taken too seriously. They are usually filled with flaws.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2012/1 ... 3.full.pdf
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi dr. flanagan, got an off the chart question. i've been reading articles on "grounding" and it made a lot of sence to me. then there's "pemf therapy"although i am not looking to have either correct my main problem i do have issues steming from say being inactive, damage etc.--then there is no escape that at 66 yrs. old i need all the help i can get. i take it that pemf therapy is very good for healing and pain amongst other things circulation. i would think even after a surgery it would be a plus.
if this is half as good as it claims i would think it would be less harmful than a lot of the pain meds. and other drugs.

just as always i appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

uprightdoc wrote:According to the study below, low levels of vitamin D have been associated with various age-related diseases. This study, however, showed just the opposite. It showed that lower levels of vitamin D is associated with a lower prevalence of age-related diseases and a higher propensity to reach old. Epidemiological studies should never be taken too seriously. They are usually filled with flaws.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2012/1 ... 3.full.pdf
Morning everyone,
Interesting article Dr.
Any research and study has flaws!
I am putting together and writing my own article that will indicate that low Vit D is an advantage in some situations because the Vit D alters the effect of intracellular bacteria's ability to extend the life (or halt apoptosis) of a host cell beyond the productive time for the host cell, and how the host cell with depleted ATP is not functioning adequately and therefore considered to be a primary co-incidence of 'degenerative diseases' when the volume of like diseased cells reaches a load level sufficient to cause symptoms.
It would appear that the term 'degenerative disease' is better viewed as 'non-regenerative disease' in some situations.

I will also be showing that there are many articles that use the term degenerative disease when referring to CPn, Lyme and other bacterial diseases and how that term is used by researchers inappropriately because of the lack of research into the causes of lack of regeneration.

Regards,
Nigel
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

certainly genetics play a role as well as environment! vit d3 is one part of a big complex picture! i will be interested to read this article in more detail. i wish that i could spot some raw data in there, but at first glance i'm just seeing statistical analyses. i noticed their data were not normally distributed. ordinarily i'd disqualify the data set for statistical analysis based on that alone. but they 'log transformed' the data. interesting, might have some use for one of my school projects...
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The vitamin D study is misleading because it seems to imply that lower levels of vitamin D are better. The only thing you can conclude from the study, however, is that certain people have genes that are associated with a longer life, as well as more efficient conversion and utilization of intermediary vitamin D. The more efficient conversion and utilization results in lower levels of the intermediary form of vitamin D in the blood. Some people have higher levels of sugar in the blood due to poor utilization. It isn't the level of vitamins and other nutrients in the blood that is important. It is the way cells utilize them. Sound diet and digestion are vital for good chi.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Another article that is finding degenerative diseases as being multi-factorial.
http://www.immed.org/NeuroDiseases/SIBI ... havDis.pdf

It's starting to be more common to look at any chronic ailment as a combination of issues when the 'problem' persists.
I see that spinal alignment issues are looked at more often in this manor now. If there is a, for example bacterial infection present at the time of an injury the likelihood of an ongoing disease process and extended injury repair process is expected. The repetitive injury site issues over years are being seen as more than coincidence. The development of other dx'ed issues at the site are common yet misunderstood.
If there are diseases that are blood born for instance, are present in the MONO factorial approach to rehab from injury, long term wellness will continue to fail, imo.

Interesting thought came to mind, in Chinese Medicine were there Double Blinded, Placebo controlled Tests in Research and Testing or purely an acceptance of outcomes.
It's kind of like the acceptance in European cultures for Religion and the opposite non-acceptance of 'God' in non-European Cultures.
One test method for one facet of life and not for the other! Medicine versus Religion!

Regards,
Nigel