CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1 wrote: After having Upper Cervical adjustments and general Chiropractic care in NZ I am of the opinion that most Chiropractors are stuck with the original concept that nerve conduction was the primary focus in Chiropractic adjustments.

I have spent may hours discussing the details in your book Dr F and shown the outcomes from the Dr's Rosa and Damadian study to many Chiropractors in NZ including the Lead Teacher at the Chiropractic College who did my adjustments and blank looks were as good as I got! :)
Nigel
Nigel,
Most chiropractors are stuck. Basic chiropractic theory regarding a vertebral segment being misaligned and pinching a nerve resulting in dis-ease is bad science and sophomoric. While BJ Palmer's upper cervical approach was way ahead of its time, it's based on an outdated theory. Dr. Magoun's craniosacral theory in osteopathy regarding stuck sutures and bones in the skull causing disease is equally bad. On the other hand, the practice of upper cervical specific, full spine chiropractic and craniosacral works for many types of musculoskeletal disorders. It also works for patients with neurodegenerative conditions. In addition to manipulation of the spine, many chiropractors also use different modalities, neutraceuticals, diet, Traditonal Chinese Medicines, exercises etc., that can also be effective. Correction and rehablilitation of the spine, as well as modalities, neutraceuticals, Traditional Chinese Medicines, diet and exercise will all work much better if the treating doctors understand the pathology and apply the appropriate therapy.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi HP the situation here is interesting. You can get a prescription for Medical MJ but I don't know anyone who uses it or how easy it is to get a prescription.
The Law at this time is that it is illegal.
The supply is very good and many grow their own, but getting caught has a range of responses, personal is lenient but production for sale is heavy. The challenge is having a passport flagged and not being allowed into many countries after conviction.
So what I am saying is that it's easily available, but getting caught has some pitfalls.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Thanks, Nigel.

NZ is farther ahead than NYS; I'm happy you have the legal MM option. If you've ever tried or ever will try pot for your symptoms, I do hope it's helpful for you like it's been for me. I just read where Colorado, which is one of only two US states that have legal recreational pot use, is now trying to institute a 25% sales tax on pot!!! So here in the US, patients with little income, which is often due to their disabilities stopping them from working, are learning that even legal doesn't always mean accessible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi DrF,

My leg lengths are 3/4" different (as measured today by my husband). 8O So my C1 is misaligned which helps explain my current attack of extreme front and left-sided ribcage MS Hug and crippling abdominal/intestinal SFS (splenic flexure syndrome) spasms with horrible pain. I immediately made an appointment to see my AO chiro on Wednesday.

The only problem I ever have with AO chiro is that I never seem to get there on time, and once things start to go downhill, to get there for adjustment becomes impossible until the attack starts to remit symptomatically and/or I become properly medicated, e.g., increases in Baclofen for spasticity and/or opiates and/or steroid injections for pain.

If not for the constant, heavy fatigue and other neuro problems that always seem to be popping up, I'd have an easier time keeping my scheduled AO chiro checks every two months. This latest sink hole in my road ironically started around the time you and my husband declared me "a new woman" thanks to your previous treatments. However, I missed my last scheduled AO check because I wasn't yet recovered enough from the debilitating effects caused by menopausal hot flashes which finally resolved, thankfully, with HRT (hormonal replacement therapy). Trying to go off HRT was a huge mistake.

Thank you for all the help you've given me since I started seeing you. You diagnosed conditions that were missed by my primary doctor of 13 years and all the neuros and other doctors I've seen. If not for you, I'd still have no idea what was happening inside my body, such as SFS and hiatal hernia-like symptoms caused by my malfunctioning iliopsoas muscle (caused by spondylosis in my cervical and thoracic spine) which is attached to the crux on the underside of my diaphragm and is why breathing can be difficult and painful. You've given me and my husband directions to pursue, and we will always be grateful.

Thank you, also, for all the help you've given my husband. He suffered for over four years from extreme shoulder pain that you diagnosed was actually coming from his cervical spine rather than from the shoulder which is what all his other doctors kept telling him. In fact, today, he told a friend with very similar shoulder problems to seek a consult with a chiro who might be able to offer help with decompression of pinched nerves and nerve roots. Because of your vast knowledge and experience, he was able to get steroid injections in his neck which are working. :)

With luck, I'll be able to make it to my AO chiro appointment on Wednesday.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

Hi Doc,

Yesterday 3rd treatment, more intense than previous two.
Lumbar was treated, was a it painful, i felt that it ws stretched,
Cervical part is also treated.

George (chiro) has send you mail, he is learning a lot...but wants to talk to you.
He found a phonenumber but that one is disconnected. :mrgreen:
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Poet,
Applied Kinesiologists refer to the connection between the upper cervical spine and the iliopsoas muscle as the psoas rocker. The problem is casued by hypertonicity in the extensor paraspinal muscles located along the back. The hypertonicity in the extensor muscles reflexively inhibit their antagonistic flexor groups such as the iliopsoas which is a thigh flexor. Among other things the iliopsoas attaches to the crura on the underside of the diaphragm. In addition to the upper cervical spine, you also have major problems in lower spine and pelvis that cause hypertonicity of the paraspinal muscles. Unfortunately, most upper cervical chiropractors are, as Nigel described, "stuck in a rut" and limit their practice to the upper cervical spine without known effective physiotherapy modalities. The best results come from treating the full spine and using physiotherapy modalities, neutraceuticals, Traditional Chinese Medicines, diet, exercise etc.

Steroid injections are not a good option for you husband. They may relieve the pain but frequent use of steroid injections has been shown to interupt healing. It can also cause tears to muscles and damage to connective tissues. In your husband's case, his shoulder muscles are under constant mechanical loads so it makes him more suceptible to tears. He has already has one unexplained rupture of a powerful muscle so he should be especially careful at work after steroid injections. He would be much better off long-term looking into endoscopic surgery to decompress the cervical stenosis. Long-term, he needs to "hang up the gloves" as they say in boxing.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Robert,
I haven't recieved any emails from your chiropractor yet. My phone is still connected but I doubt he has the right number. It would be much better if he contacted me by email first.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

OK, i will send a test mail
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

DrF, I forgot to tell you: 1) I have a new-patient appt for a full-spine chiro who has the table you recommended for me. 2) My husband is seeing his chiro again. 3) I found on the Internet a tens unit that looks just like yours (yes, I know you won't approve, but I have to try to be self-reliant--if I asked my husband to do everything I wanted or needed when I wanted or needed it, I think he'd have a heart attack under all that added stress).

Thank you again for all your help, especially for pointing us in the right directions. :)
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Good for you Poet. Hopefully the new chiropractors work out for you both. Actually, I have recommended similar nine volt TENS units to my Parkinson's patients for specific targeted stimulation of affected structures in the brain such as the substania nigra and reticular activating system. The nine volt units are relatively safe and easy for anyone to use. I don't use nine volt models because they drain and lose effectiveness quickly. It's hard to tell whether they are working or not as the power drains down. The nine volt units also lack power, as well as wave form and frequency control. I have two models I use. One is 80 volts. It lacks power drive larger electrodes. I prefer the 110 volt model with variable wave forms including two Faradic, one symmetical AC and one Galvanic with polarity swithing and variable frequency. I use the larger Faradic waves or symmetrical AC to stimulate large muscles. I use Galvanic for dennervated muscles. You want to be careful of skin burns with Galvanic. As an aside, low volt, low frequency Galvanic is currently being used to treat tumors. High frequency low volt AC is also being used. In addition to single and double pen probe electrode monopolar and bipolar techniques i also like to use sponge electrodes and different size dispersive pads according to clinical objectives. Adjusting the size of the active and dispersive electrodes as well as their separation alters the depth of penetration and how it traverses the body.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

dr. flanagan and those that have been following "dania" in her battle to find the help she desparately needs.

i'm not good at relaying news like this and my heart is very heavy.

i spoke briefly with dania today.

first she wanted me to tell "you dr.flanagan"-that she believes in you and your work 150 per cent.

she was in the hosp. attempts were made to clear her bowel. no success. she cannot eat or drink due to the squeezing in the throat preventing her from swollowing. she is skin and bones. they said her spine is completely degenerated. nothing they could do. diagnosed her with last stage ms giving her a couple of weeks to live. she is suffering terribly.

i pray we all send our thoughts and prayers dania's way.

i am praying that there are some neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons or whatever it takes who may be snooping around tims and could possibly help her who have half a brain and half a heart to at least try.

i am saddened, hurt and mad. if the dr.'s would only listen to what we have to say-----and to dr.'s like dr. flanagan "if there are any others" like him. we might have a chance. -- they ignored dania and many of us.

at this time dania cannot use her computer.
Last edited by blossom on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Thanks for the update on dania, blossom. :( She is in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't understand though. Over the summer she was shifting this and that and experiencing transient improvement. Doesn't that mean things can still be fixed? Braces? Traction? Exospine?! Something!!!!
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

my understanding from her was i felt that she has tried to get help and felt that doors opening of real hope and help--were also becoming dead ends. this is only my personal input to your question. when i say dead ends--say in my case and others--i have been chaseing this route for many yrs. finding the dr. that is capable of helping and willing to help-can you still travel and of course how much can you afford. when you are running out of time and money and our health care systems refuse to acknowledge the obvious. -- well--

also this bowel and things have to be takeing it's toll on her body otherwise.

i hope there is news of help for her too. but. i just don't know--we can only hope. for everyone's sake and of course for dania's sake. what a trooper she is.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

I think about Dania, Blossom....i sincerely hope she will find a way...

Regards,

Robert
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

dania is one of the loveliest and bravest women I've ever known.

She's spent years trying to be properly diagnosed and kept searching and pushing against an arrogant medical establishment until she, herself, found the answer to her neurodegenerative condition. Doctors in mainstream medicine thought they couldn't possibly be wrong and either brushed her off or misdiagnosed her.

Sending love, hope and prayers for dania.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Blossom,
Thanks for the update on Dania. It's sad to hear she is doing so poorly. When I saw her last saw her she had very good, almost one-hundered percent strength in her upper body, plenty to work with for rehab. While her legs were very weak, she did have some strength, enough so that she could stand. Prior to that her ex-husband said she was climbing stairs the year before, so there is still some lstrength to work with in the legs. Although I was unable to fully examine the lumbopelvic spine and legs due to circumstances, I explained to Dania that her weakness and constipation had nothing to do with coccyx or pelvic instability. Instead, she had obvious upper motor neuron signs that indicate that her problems are coming from higher up in brain or cord. Patients with cervical spondylosis and lesions, such as Dania, Blossom and Robert tend to be more progressive and have greater disabilities than patients with lesions limited to the brain.

My suggestion to Dania was that rather than buying a Cox 7 or 8 table and hiring someone to work on her, as she suggested, that she should instead get a "Back Bubble" or "Bounce Back Fitness Chair" and have someone come to the house to help her use is it several times a week. It would do more and cost far less. The Back Bubble or Bound Back Fitness Chair would relieve the compression on the pelvis and abdominal organs caused by prolonged sitting in a wheelchair. Light bouncing creates significant gravitational forces that move blood and lymph. The expansion and contraction it causes also exercises the abdominal organs and colon, which will likewise relieve congestion and constipation. Light bouncing is also good for developing plyometric strength in the legs used for getting up from chairs. Some changes in diet and Traditional Chinese Medicines may further help with the constipation and stagnation. Lastly, as I explained to Dania, there are two companies that produce upright wheelchairs. The chairs are expensive but far less costly than the sacroiliac stabilization surgery she was looking into and likewise less costly than the phenomenal but more futuristic European model that was posted previously on this thread. You don't have to back into a the European model. You get in facing forward. Upright wheelchairs are the way of the future for many patients with neurological and orthopedic disabilities.