CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by uprightdoc »

It's not a very useful study. It would be better to show the affect on blood flow before and after treatment.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi Everyone and Happy Another Year!

Dr F as time or should I say disease progresses I am finding that spasticity is increasing and effecting how I walk quite dramatically. I also have noticed that my left arm and hand are becoming effected as well. This has got me thinking about whether the spine/vertebra are also effected by spasticity?

I feel that some muscles do not receive the messages to enable a flow of movement or even movement in general at times and this just made me wonder if this is also a problem with posture decline. I have for some years found that my spine and posture were the early signs that I was weakening/progressing but I am now thinking that the problem was more about motor signals that are either not happening, not synchronised/that the timing of single muscles is way out of faze?

I also wonder about how a Neuro would test for spasticity? I am positive that my leg movements are delayed by the problem and wonder if a Neuro would notice other than watching a PwMS walk and 'assume' that the issues are 'spasticity'?

My GP used to get me to lie on my back with knees bent, and feet on the bed, then rock my knees side to side. I never asked what he was checking though, which is strange for me, I was always talking about some other issue and he was checking me over in general as I spoke.

This makes me wonder how spasticity of the spinal muscles would be tested?

:)
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Nigel,
There are different types but without getting too complicated spasms are unintentional continuous firing and contraction of muscle large groups of muscle fibers such as a Charlie horse, spastic torticollis, tortipelvis and spastic gait. Fibrillations, fasciculation's and tremors are less intense forms of spams. Fibrillations can't be seen. Fasciculation's are barely visible. Some can be felt. Tremors and nystagmus are easy to see. Muscle spasms are typically is easy to see and they immobilize joints and prevent movement. Spasticity is abnormal movement due to spasms. Some spasms ratchet-like or cogwheel jerky type movements. Spasm of large muscles are also easy to palpate and are typically tender.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

Hi doc,

I heard you had mailcontact with George, great. And you're satisfied with his treatment.
OK, how do i feel?

Well;
- i notice some less numb feelingin my hands. Not always.
- my knees seem to bend easier sometimes, so normally i stand up with force..beng..straight.now it's more...fluïd..no lock, if you know what i mean. More muscle control
- sometimes stand up using my legmuscles..with a little pulling up with my hands
- less fatigue

Remember...these are impressions but it happened more than once and my wife also mentions it.

At the physiotherapist we are doing balance exercises and he sees improvements. He gives support to keep me straight doing exercises,i need less support each time..

Regards

Robert
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Robert,
Your chiropractor did make contact with me. I suggested that he treat you like a cervical myelopathy. It will help move blood and CSF flow past the obstruction in the cervical spine. It will also relieve compression and improve blood flow to the cord. I further suggested that he work the suboccipital area to improve blood and CSF flow between the cranial vault and spinal canal. Lastly I suggested he work your lower spine to relieve orthopedic issues related to your disabilities. You found a good doctor with a fantastic table. Your results are good so far so stick with it. It will maximize your potential and prevent further degeneration.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

Thx doc!
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Hi Doctor Flanagan. I have been in the hospital for 4 weeks. They do not get it. I am back home. worse than ever. Cannot transfer myself anymore, in bed 24/7.. still unable to defecate, Extreme pain in coccyx area. My spine there has shifted to the left. Very viable, Now hnaving great difficulty breathing and swallowing.last night i slept with a thin pad on each butt cheek, leaving a space for the coccyx the contracted muscles were reduced considerably. Plus I was able to sit up again, Is it possible that my problems are stemming from a fall I had many years ago on my coccyx
and would removal of the coccyx help alleviate some of my problems
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Dania,
Relieving the strain on the coccyx using pads makes sense. Surgically removing the coccyx doesn't. Considering that you were in the hospital for four weeks, it would have been helpful if they had done some slant board therapy that I discussed with you previously. Slant board inversion therapy would relive the strain on the coccyx, drain the lymph in the legs and pelvis and decompress the colon. It would also help decompress the rest of the spine and internal organs. Due to the assistance from gravity, slant board inversion can also be used to exercise your weak leg muscles, as well as abdominals, which would help the constipation.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi dania, welcome back. i have been very worried and concerned about you. and, the frustration you feel i "totally" understand. i too have worsened. but, screw the ones that try to make you feel like a nut case because they don't get it.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi dr. flanagan, i was wondering, but in dania's circumstances, if she is willing and can get someone to help. if she is in a hosp. bed with the steel frame and got 2 car floor jacks, put a board across if needed to secure at the bottom of the bed and jack it up for the slant then let down again when done for sleep. maybe if she laid on plastic for the give secureing her feet. helping to stretch the spine a little. might sound crazy to some but sometimes you do what you have to do however you can. jacks are pretty cheap-i could only find hydrauic hand pump no electric which would be better.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Blossom,
The slant board pillows I recommended to Dania would be less expensive, easier to use and would require no modification of the bed. I suggested to Dania that the pillows could be used on top or her bed and she could roll onto them to position herself. The downside is that the pillows are bulky and would have to be stored on a table next to the bed so that she could reach them and position them herself on the bed. It would be much easier if she had someone to help her. I don't know what the bill is for a four week stay in the hospital in Canada but in the USA it would cost a small fortune. It would have been much better for Dania and far cheaper for the health care system to have an aide or fitness trainer visit her several times a week to help her use the board as well as other home equipment I recommended.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

uprightdoc wrote:Hello Dania,
Relieving the strain on the coccyx using pads makes sense. Surgically removing the coccyx doesn't. Considering that you were in the hospital for four weeks, it would have been helpful if they had done some slant board therapy that I discussed with you previously. Slant board inversion therapy would relive the strain on the coccyx, drain the lymph in the legs and pelvis and decompress the colon. It would also help decompress the rest of the spine and internal organs. Due to the assistance from gravity, slant board inversion can also be used to exercise your weak leg muscles, as well as abdominals, which would help the constipation.
unfortunately, nothing was done in the hospital except laxatives and a colonoscopy.Came back home weaker than ever, can no longer even sit. severe difficulty b reathing and swalloling
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

What a shame. All the expensive time and resources that were spent and nothing productive was done or even tried.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

I think that 'Medicine' today is about maintaining life rather than improving or something similar!

$ make decisions!

Be Well,
Nigel :)
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

There is a stupid, destructive prejudice in Allopathic medicine against physical manipulation, that is to say Chiropractic, Osteopathic, physical therapy, physiotherapy, massage, even the soothing effect of human touch. For medicine as currently practiced, it's drugs and/or surgery, in some ways the equivalence of an assault on a breathing, living being.
I believe a simple massage for Dania would soothe and relax her. Is that possible?
I have been thinking about you and wish you well, Vesta