Are your hands and/or feet cold?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Are your hands and/or feet frequently cold?

I have MS and my hands and/or feet are frequently cold.
78%
I don't have MS and my hands and/or feet are frequently cold.
3%
I have MS but my hands and/or feet are usually warm.
17%
I don't have MS but my hands and/or feet are usually warm.
2%

Total votes: 89

jean-la-grenouille
Family Member

Re: Are your hands and/or feet cold?

Post by jean-la-grenouille »

My hands and feet are always ice cold. When I'm cold i shake a lot.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

Cece wrote:My hands and feet were ice cold for as long as I can remember. After CCSVI venoplasty, they've warmed up. It might be an improvement to the autonomic nervous system, with improved ability to self-regulate temperature.
holding my partner's hand on the recovery table, my first thought was "wow, your hands are so warm now. never felt that before." (that's a lie. my first thought was the usual "you are so pretty" )

i think it is a result of improved overall circulation. if you block my jugs and cause blood to pool in my neck, the body compensates and the extremeties are the first to suffer less blood flow.

as always, just my opinion.
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Used to have freezing hands prior to CCSVI surgery. Afterwards, they get warm more often than cold (although sometimes do still get cold in very cold weather) and swell up (i.e., get slightly larger) with blood when they get warm; especially so if I am working with my hands, e.g. giving someone a massage, repairing something, etc.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

Cece wrote:Civickiller, your feet are cold in Hawaii? That is salt in the wound. In 80 degree weather.
yup even in hawaii temp, wearing socks and shoes all day, there not as cold but still colder than when my ucc was working. when ucc was working, were warm just sitting down all day uncovered at night, always warm. but not overly hot
Thekla
Family Elder

Post by Thekla »

Even after being treated twice, my feet and left hand are cold. I noticed that a glass of wine seemed to help in the evening---it took almost a month to be consistent---but then I could have a glass and feel the blood rush through my legs and my feet would get hot. I figured hot was better than the dead-cold I had previously. Dr. S. said if it worked.....! Just within the past week, I seem to be responding differently. Wine still equals hot feet, but without it, the feet are just cool to the touch not the 'touch of death'. What is odd is that they still 'feel' cold to me. I will reach done and check with my hand because I think they are cold, but they aren't. The surface nerves aren't functioning properly. I am stopping the wine to see if the warm feet continue without it.

If this hypersensitivity is not limited to the feet/left hand, it might explain my hypersensitivity to needles and needing the fentanyl sooner than any other patient Dr S has treated. My feet feel painfully cold but they aren't.
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Struggle with cold hands cold feet when I'm sitting or standing holding onto somthing of course. I do have MS and have had CCSVI treatment. I wanted to ask if anyone else had speaking difficulties, not slurring of speech which cleared up after CCSVI treatment but just have a hard time talking (horse). Checked out by an ENT doctor. No problems with vocal cords but talking takes a lot of energy and is an effort.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

my feet are cold as a well diggers ass.

my mom came up with a good solution, leave it to mom, i use those 6hr hot packs like when i hunted in my other healthy life then i put socks over it. works great.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

coach wrote:Struggle with cold hands cold feet when I'm sitting or standing holding onto somthing of course. I do have MS and have had CCSVI treatment. I wanted to ask if anyone else had speaking difficulties, not slurring of speech which cleared up after CCSVI treatment but just have a hard time talking (horse). Checked out by an ENT doctor. No problems with vocal cords but talking takes a lot of energy and is an effort.
Weak speech or hoarseness can be a sign of a pinched vagus nerve, which runs near the jugular.
See Dr. Driscoll's lecture at ISNVD:
http://www.isnvd.org/index.php?site=interviews#content
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

after my first treatment I had warm hands, feet and my core felt warm. Now, only when I have been lying down for at least an hour or so. Does this support a blood flow issue or would they still be able to attribute that to neurological cause?
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

Thanks for mentioning hoarseness and the corresponding link. I, too, get hoarse quite quickly (and don't even attempt to sing anymore - yikes!). I also have one cold foot most of the time and started using the foot warmers this winter - my foot will actually get hot after an hour or so...
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

Thekla wrote:...I noticed that a glass of wine seemed to help in the evening... I am stopping the wine to see if the warm feet continue without it.
i think alcohol is known to thin the blood. might explain what is happening to you.

have you tried baby aspirin or other blood thinners?
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Sorry but I have limited time on the computer so may respond to some posts late. MUNCHIN mentioned core and hands warm up when she lies down. Same thing with me. Cold hands and feet in an upright position. Others?
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

My core, hands and feet are not always cold when I'm sitting up but quite often. Everything does warm up when I lie down - my feet so much so that they have to be uncovered by morning!! Was like this before being dxed.

I too would like to know the answer to Munchkin's last question.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

coach,

my hands and feet are cold but laying down they warm up. mine i attribute to spinal issues "that also can cause circulatory problems" as far as say restricting the blood flow because of pressure on the veins or arteries or nerves. also my feet will be very purple and lying down they are normal.

did you read dania's last thread? ANOTHER VEIN BYPASS WITH DR. HERNANDEZ. she speaks of the lady's voice problem. due to a stent that she had put in with ccsvi treatment. i know you were treated but not the details for sure. maybe dania could add something to help.??
Kinora
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kinora »

Yes. Feet are freezing and only a hot bath will worm them. Usually happens at sunset.