long-term complications

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
heres

long-term complications

Post by heres »

Hi, I would like to know if there could be long-term effects/complications after treatment. Our body has lived with malformations since its birth, so, if we open our veins, there could be a sort of adaptation to the new status. Any information of what could happen in two, five or ten years to our circulatory system? Thanks!
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Not as bad as the long-term consequences of doing nothing, I'm sure of that. And they don't have to be long-term, either.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
heres

Post by heres »

Sure. But what kind of complications may occur?
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

How would we know... The oldest one around here is about 1 year....

And after 10 years in a wheelchair; you might have other thoughts about "long term"
LivabirdsHubbie
Family Member

Post by LivabirdsHubbie »

maybe if the governments all smartened up and allow the treatment, we can then see over time
Coolcatcarrie
Family Member

Post by Coolcatcarrie »

I dont see any reason for there to be negative effects for having ur veins opened how they should be!!! The thought hasnt even crossed my mind!
codefellow
Family Elder

Post by codefellow »

You should read the stickies.....Post if Liberation did not work for you and known complications/risks of Angioplasty/Stenting. That has about as much as we know this early.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

If you consider Dr. Hubbard's fMRI BOLD oxygenation studies, what's being done is the brain is being given what every normal person's brain already gets. And the normal people seem to be doing fine with all that oxygen, not to mention the glucose and the ability to carry waste products away through the blood stream and the stronger blood-brain-barrier that's not being weakened by reflux.
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

heres, anything new carries the risk of complications down the road. The trick is to minimize the risk by identifying and compensating for the most predictable ones.

In the case of plasty or stents, the most predictible long term problems could well be the consequenses of using procedures designed primarily to treat ateries on veins. The two have very different structures and very different resitance to internal force.

We will need to carefully follow people who have had their veins played with for a very long time to fully answer your question.
Carpe Diem
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

oreo, good answer. One possible long term problem might be stent life for those of us with stents. I'm counting on all the research over the next several years to maybe answer this question. Meanwhile I am glad to get back much of my QOL.

ozarkcanoer
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

Ironically, one of the potential complications of catheter insertion in the IJV's is IJV thrombosis:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/461577-overview
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Jugular wrote:Ironically, one of the potential complications of catheter insertion in the IJV's is IJV thrombosis:

I don't think is referring to one-time catheters that are inserted from the groin area, as in CCSVI venoplasty. I think it's the central venous catheters, such as in dialysis treatment, that are inserted in directly and left in for months or longer.
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

Cece wrote:
Jugular wrote:Ironically, one of the potential complications of catheter insertion in the IJV's is IJV thrombosis:

I don't think is referring to one-time catheters that are inserted from the groin area, as in CCSVI venoplasty. I think it's the central venous catheters, such as in dialysis treatment, that are inserted in directly and left in for months or longer.
Then one can say that there is a small risk of thrombosis. I think the IR's performing the procedure would be well-versed in the risks associated with it anyway especially since they have to elicit informed consent. If they are not mentioning it, the risk must be small and the consequences less severe. Since venous angioplasty seems to be a new thing, though, I wonder if the prospects of thrombosis would increase with catheter plus angioplasty? It's hard to say since there are no long term studies of CCSVI angioplasty treatments.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Jugular, it's because of the risk of thrombosis (clotting) that people are put on anticlotting anticoagulants. It is indeed a risk of this procedure. I do not think it's a risk of simply inserting the catheter but definitely of the ballooning itself, since that damages the vein walls.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Cece wrote:Jugular, it's because of the risk of thrombosis (clotting) that people are put on anticlotting anticoagulants. It is indeed a risk of this procedure. I do not think it's a risk of simply inserting the catheter but definitely of the ballooning itself, since that damages the vein walls.
I got put on the anticoags for my arterial stents. Does that mean thrombosis is a risk there too?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)