Valves

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
David1949
Family Elder

Valves

Post by David1949 »

As I understand it, the valves in the veins act like check valves allowing flow toward the heart but not in the opposite direction. But when the catheter is inserted it goes in the opposite direction, the direction that the valve does not open. How does the catheter get past the valve?

I'm thinking like an engineer not a doctor. My appologies if I misunderstand how it works.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Post by SaintLouis »

Was wondering the same thing. Also, if the valve has a problem, how exactly does blowing a balloon up around or on it help?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

This would be a good one for Dr. Sclafani or his archivists (or achives if you can manage).
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Yes, this would be a good one for Dr. Sclafani!

My guess about the catheter is that the valves are made of flexible tissue.

Balloon venoplasty "smushes" the tissue of the valves into the intima (inner most layer of vein/artery) of the vein wall; hopefully, the valve won't restenose by poping back out and blocking blood flow again.

Another little-discussed consideration regarding valves is what anecdotally happened with Rici and a couple of others. Because Rici had inverted valves in his both his IJVs, the valves were venoplastied which opened the veins for blood flow.

But the lack of the "check valve" allows pressure and blood in the vena cava and right jugular to reflux up the jugular, into the brain, through the dural sinuses, and into the deeper cerebral veins which damages the veins themselves and damages the delicate brain tissue which surrounds those veins. Such reflux cannot happen with the left jugular, though, because of its direct, quick route straight to the heart:
Dr. Schelling MS manuscript, Ch. 5

This reflux in the right IJV can happen in Valsalva maneuvers, such as when coughing, sneezing, and lifting heavy items. With Rici, though, it happens with every expiration of breath due to a large, widely distended section in the middle of his right jugular that creates enough suction/negative pressure for the blood to be sucked up his jugular and into his brain: Rici's reflux video

One time, the refluxed blood flowed to his hypothalmus which caused his temperature to rise to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. He was rushed to the emergency department of a local hospital, and his life was saved.

An informed decision is the best decision. Because I am "out of wait," I took a chance and decided that I had lived with 95% blocked veins, due to inverted valves, for my first 50 years, and I wanted to try open veins for my last 20 years. I am hoping that my right jugular vein does not distend and that the valve does not "pop out."
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

OOPS!! I meant to post this to Dr. Sclafani's post and sent it here by accident. NUTS!!!!
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I reposted this in Dr. Sclafani's thread. Please post any comments about it there and let this post die.
Rici
Family Elder

Post by Rici »

HappyPoet wrote:Yes, this would be a good one for Dr. Sclafani!

My guess about the catheter is that the valves are made of flexible tissue.

Balloon venoplasty "smushes" the tissue of the valves into the intima (inner most layer of vein/artery) of the vein wall; hopefully, the valve won't restenose by poping back out and blocking blood flow again.

Another little-discussed consideration regarding valves is what anecdotally happened with Rici and a couple of others. Because Rici had inverted valves in his both his IJVs, the valves were venoplastied which opened the veins for blood flow.

But the lack of the "check valve" allows pressure and blood in the vena cava and right jugular to reflux up the jugular, into the brain, through the dural sinuses, and into the deeper cerebral veins which damages the veins themselves and damages the delicate brain tissue which surrounds those veins. Such reflux cannot happen with the left jugular, though, because of its direct, quick route straight to the heart:
Dr. Schelling MS manuscript, Ch. 5

This reflux in the right IJV can happen in Valsalva maneuvers, such as when coughing, sneezing, and lifting heavy items. With Rici, though, it happens with every expiration of breath due to a large, widely distended section in the middle of his right jugular that creates enough suction/negative pressure for the blood to be sucked up his jugular and into his brain: Rici's reflux video

One time, the refluxed blood flowed to his hypothalmus which caused his temperature to rise to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. He was rushed to the emergency department of a local hospital, and his life was saved.

An informed decision is the best decision. Because I am "out of wait," I took a chance and decided that I had lived with 95% blocked veins, due to inverted valves, for my first 50 years, and I wanted to try open veins for my last 20 years. I am hoping that my right jugular vein does not distend and that the valve does not "pop out."
Dr. Schelling wrote:
"Central fever comes off in MS (like after arterial blockages or bleedings) through direct damage of the temperature center in the hypothalamus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus ). In venous MS it assumedly can be caused by direct pressure impulses in hypothalamic veins or liquor surges in the third ventricle. The resolution of MRV is yet too low to distiguish such causes. Because your internal jugular veins hardly have functioning valves, pressure increases of the superior vena cava (especially through strong muscle work of torso and arms) can push unhindered up against the brain. I've talked about this problem with Dr. Marian Simka in Bologna - I hope he works together with Dr. Zamboni in the complex of vein valve problems ".
& Dr. Schelling:
"Mr. Ryszard Wiercinski’s confronted me with Odyssey of MS treatments. Disastrous effects of the distension of a valvular stenosis of his right internal jugular vein (IJV) further led to his giving me access to phlebograms of both of his proximal IJVs. What has yet not become available to me is Mr. Wiercinski’s cranial and spinal MRI and especially a cervical and cerebral MRV of his according Dr. Mark Haake’s SWI protocol. Asked to give you my opinion on the venous events underlying Mr. Wiercinski’s recent neurological incapacitations, the following seems worth mentioning: The remarkable improvements in the wake of the stenting of the left IJV’s valvular ring indicate that Mr. Wiercinski’s MS is best to be understood as a consequence of intermittent veno-venous reflux from left IJV into inner cerebral veins. The subsequent stenting of the right IJV equally reduced the risk for venous regurgitations from the IJV along the corresponding cerebral venous pathways. But this effect has obviously been more than cancelled by the development of even more massive regurgitations from more central collecting veins. This latter may now be affecting the brain either directly or indirectly, i.e. in favouring alternating venous flow inversions along the left IJV in a sort of a seesaw-effect."
Greetings
Rici
p.s.: http://www.ms-info.net/evo/msmanu/956.htm#level_5_1
http://www.rici-ms.com/video4.avi

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”