Bloodthinners

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Bloodthinners

Postby dinahciran » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 am

Hi! Im new here. For about how long is it necessary to take bloodthinners after angioplasty or stents?
dinahciran

Advertisement

Postby Cece » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 am

Welcome! You ask a question to which the docs don't know the answer. They use different types of anticoagulants like Coumadin or antiplatelets like Plavix and for different amounts of time. Some docs even start a course of Plavix or aspirin four days before a procedure. Some people have reported that they developed clotting despite being on blood thinners. For now my best advice is to listen to your own IR. Typical duration is between a few weeks to a few months. Patients who develop clotting will typically be given more anticoagulation in addition to imaging and a possible second venoplasty. But all docs vary.
Cece
Family Elder

Postby 1eye » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:37 pm

My regimen following 3 arterial stents was six months of Plavix, aspirin and a statin. After that I was allowed to go off Plavix, (I am back on it for another 3 months post-venoplasty) but the others are more permanent.

I would think six months might be conservative, but it gave me a chance to grow into my stents.
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
1eye
Family Elder

Postby bigfoot14 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:45 pm

We met with an IR today to schedule a procedure for my wife...

He starts his patients on Plavix 5 days before,
uses heperin during the procedure
then uses lovenox (sp?) for 6 days and plavix for three months post procedure then baby asprin ....

He also does not use stents....
bigfoot14
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)