Purple Feet Question

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

Lyon wrote:..one of the possibilities is that CCSVI might prove out to be real and eliminating it might prove beneficial to health..
No argument here :) and this, to me, is the most important point.. MS or not, if CCSVI is real..please, treat it!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi blossom,

as a vegan, i always had low b12 even when supplementing. once i did a completely clean test, no b12 supplements, and the test could not detect any. it was only sensitive down to 75 pmol/L so my result was 'less than 75'. that's very, very bad.

i readily absorbed b12 supplements once i started taking them more seriously. ergo, i did not have pernicious anemia or the associated issues with intrinsic factor production..

i don't think too much b12 hurts, unless you take it at the wrong time of day - if you take high doses in the neighbourhood of 2000 mcg first thing in the morning, it can disturb your night's sleep.

as for b-complex, it takes a lot of b9 and b6 to cause neurological problems. you should be fine taking an extra strength b100-complex per day. in the short term, if you are low across the board, you can take four per day!

my regular family doc orders my zinc tests when i ask for them. i take the requisition to the lab. where i live the zinc testing is covered by provincial health insurance.

if it wasn't and i had to look elsewhere, i would go to a naturopath who can also write lab requisitions. in that case it would not be covered and i'd have to pay for the test. usually tests i've paid for have been in the area of $30-35 per.

luckily zinc supplements are one of the cheaper ones. i hear you re price though. just the other day i spent $77 CDN on four bottles: calcium, zinc, multivitamins, and vitamin E8 complex. last time i had to make a trip it was more like $200 CDN. still, all in all it feels like peanuts compared to the cost of some pharma products out there!

you're right it can be tough - i've had to get help a time or two, that's for sure.. but worth it.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

thanks jimmylegs!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yvw!!!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Asher
Family Elder

Post by Asher »

CCSVI is the lens through which all the responses are seen. Don't get me wrong, I am a believer and I got liberated, but: The circulation of blood in the limbs is induced by the muscles. Week muscles = poor circulation = purple and swollen feet. This holds unless there is clear evidence for a vascular issue. Conclusion: the link of purple and swollen feet with MS is muscular i.e. indirect.
IHateMS
Family Elder

Post by IHateMS »

whyRwehere wrote:socks were suggested to us, but there is no swelling, just the coldness and colour. I don't think socks will help that, plus they don't feel very nice.
but have you tried it? :lol: :lol:

the suggestion came from a vascular surgeon.... not a neuro.

it is an easy fix for me. i wear them everyday. they changed my life.... i always had to have my feet elevated before. try it, you'll like it.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

I tried it for me, not my husband...I couldn't wait to get them off!! They were for in the plane.
As for my husband trying them...he can't even get used to socks that aren't all cotton. He has numbness, yet his skin is sensitive...that I don't understand.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

why, weird isn't it! strange but true, however.

i never knew how many different kinds of sense we had in our skin until my large fibre sensory went. when my hands were at my worst, i could not feel fine textures, had no position sensory (worse in the dark - you learn to use your eyes to correct position) or pressure sense, and reduced vibration sense.

pain and temperature sense were fine (small fibre sensory, these nerves are not myelinated).

overall my hands felt puffy and stiff for no apparent reason.

i could feel coarse textures but it was VERY IRRITATING and at the worst it wasn't my hands but my whole body - i couldn't tolerate jeans and cords and had to go out and buy fine knit cotton loungewear. i used to pay the salon $4 to just wash my hair and then i'd go home to dry it!

as for the socks i have never tried these but i'm reminded of some running tights/pants my friend just bought and he LOVES THEM. he does not suffer from that aggravating hypersensitive nerve damage though!

if hubby's feet are purple and cold not swollen that sounds like something else altogether... forgive me for having to ask, but does your hubby have a supplement regimen? ever had any nutritional lab work done?
dunkempt
Family Elder

Post by dunkempt »

re: purple feet and muscles:

I had this problem in periods when I was quite fit (running, weights, karate), with particularly good leg strength, and times when I was largely sedentary.

-d
dx rrms august 2009 (dx CFS spring 1988) off avonex after 3 months
treated katowice 24-25 march 2010 - best thing that ever happened - check tracking thread
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

dunkempt was yours with or without swelling?
dunkempt
Family Elder

Post by dunkempt »

jimmylegs -

purple when standing, etc. without swelling (though both hands and feet always did feel kind of puffy in the heat: but not in the last - post liberation -summer)
-d
treated katowice 24-25 march 2010 - best thing that ever happened - check tracking thread
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

do/did they ever feel colder than what you'd consider normal?
dunkempt
Family Elder

Post by dunkempt »

do/did they ever feel colder than what you'd consider normal?
They did, yes; it has been a notable change, much appreciated by my wife.
-d
IHateMS
Family Elder

Post by IHateMS »

whyRwehere wrote:I tried it for me, not my husband...I couldn't wait to get them off!! They were for in the plane.
As for my husband trying them...he can't even get used to socks that aren't all cotton. He has numbness, yet his skin is sensitive...that I don't understand.
my socks are 100% cotton... cost is about $25...

i understand 100%.... numbness, sensitive... are we trying to help u or your husband? :P