Mottled/Purple Hands-Anyone Else?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Mottled/Purple Hands-Anyone Else?

Post by Donnchadh »

One of my more persistent "MS" symptoms has been the "mottled" purplish look to my hands; especially on the left hand. This reflects, I believe, sluggish venous circulation. Since starting my attempt to remove or reduce iron levels, l have observed that the right hand is noticeably a more normal pinkish appearance. But the change has been very slow. This shouldn't be surprising as my underlying CCSVI condition hasn't been corrected yet. My right IJV is completely closed, and I suspect that my left IJV is only open about 40%, so everyday I am accumulating reactive iron deposits.

This coloration pattern also seems to be directly correlated to the numbness and "pins and needles" sensation felt in both hands. It's worst in the left hand.

Anyone else with this symptom? Usual disclaimers (not a doctor, could be that I'm crazy MS'er, placebo addict, etc.)

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
Interrupted
Family Elder

Re: Mottled/Purple Hands-Anyone Else?

Post by Interrupted »

Donnchadh wrote:This coloration pattern also seems to be directly correlated to the numbness and "pins and needles" sensation felt in both hands. It's worst in the left hand.

Anyone else with this symptom?
Not exactly but similar. My circulation problems have always been evident to me because of mottled blotchy skin (not purple tho') all over arms and legs. I empathise because I find it looks worse and more obvious when MS symptoms are giving me trouble in my limbs x
28/07/10, 04/10/10, 16/11/10 - CCSVi Dopplers x3 ** 12/10/10 - Poland procedure. Symptoms worsened. No improvement.
13/02/12 - Wheldon ABX protocol for 1.5yrs. Fairly stable but no improvement. Unable to source alternate ABX needed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya donn, ask NHE about it - sounds like raynaud's and NHE found a supplement combo for his MS, that incidentally helped clear up the discoloration on his hands.

raynauds is a condition where the blood vessels are in spasm so flow is impaired. if you do indeed have raynaud's then finding the right mineral balance (ie more magnesium) should help the spastic vessels relax.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Mottled/Purple Hands-Anyone Else?

Post by NHE »

My limited experience with Raynauds syndrome is that the ends of the fingers often turn pale white and cold. I have not heard of Raynauds being associated with purple hands.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

here are some images of raynaud's syndrome, some purple, some white, i know people who get a sort of orange thing going on, or the purple coloration... it's variable as far as i can tell!

link to raynaud's images
http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=ray ... a=N&tab=wi
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hmm i guess that apostrophe is messing up the link - copy and paste into browser address bar to view images, i suppose!

more discussion on raynaud's
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-9301-day ... aud-0.html
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Raynaud's seem plausible. It's a disorder of the tiny tiny blood vessels in the hands or feet. Related to autonomic dysregulation as a result of MS? But glad to hear yours is improved.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”