THrombosis proportions

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Gordon
Family Elder

THrombosis proportions

Post by Gordon »

In another poster, Dr. Simka and colleagues reported on safety and complications of endovascular procedures (balloon angioplasty and stenting) in 347 people with MS and CCSVI whom they had treated. The amount of followup time after the procedures was not provided. They conducted 414 balloon angioplasties and 173 stent implantations during 361 interventions in 347 people with MS and CCSVI. Complications noted included 2 cases of stent thrombosis, 1 case of surgical removal of a balloon, 4 cases of bleeding from the groin, 1 case of minor gastrointestinal bleeding, 2 cases of transient cardiac arrhythmia, 4 cases of difficulty removing balloon or its delivery system, 4 problems with placement of stents, and 4 unsuccessful catheterization of the stenosed internal jugular vein. (Abstract P914)
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Yes, if we can get good numbers on the likelihood of post procedure thrombosis over time, I'd feel less of an obligation to run around like Chicken Little telling people the sky is falling, get themselves a doppler ultrasound asap. (Though it remains good advice, IMO.)

Simka's patients have primarily been there for medical tourism and scattered across different countries with little follow-up care. I don't think we can take these numbers for much more than complications discovered while the patient was still in Poland under Simka's care.

But what I'm curious about is the surgical removal of a balloon! And the four cases of difficulty removing the balloons.
Interrupted
Family Elder

Post by Interrupted »

Absolutely, I believe these numbers may cover those problems discovered while patients remain in hospital or maybe those who have returned (though not confident on the latter). But I very much doubt it's the tip of the iceberg in the big picture.

P.S. Cece, without you being marvellous Chicken Little, the sky would fall down for a lot of us when we're in a tough spot! :D
28/07/10, 04/10/10, 16/11/10 - CCSVi Dopplers x3 ** 12/10/10 - Poland procedure. Symptoms worsened. No improvement.
13/02/12 - Wheldon ABX protocol for 1.5yrs. Fairly stable but no improvement. Unable to source alternate ABX needed.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”