Publication from Albany CCSVI conference

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Publication from Albany CCSVI conference

Post by cheerleader »

Entire issue on CCSVI in MS-- November 2010 V-Aware
http://vaware.org/images/stories/pdfs/v ... lowres.pdf
Articles by all of the presenting doctors at the vascular conference

From Dr. Michael Dake's article:
(what we discussed after Jeff was treated---now published)
It is intriguing to observe that some of the symptoms of MS mimic symptoms observed in patients with superior vena cava syndrome. Obstruction of the superior vena cava, usually caused by a tumor or radiation, impedes venous drainage of the head and neck. Relief of the obstruction with balloon angioplasty and stent placement, if required, provides swift and dramatic resolution of the symptoms of impaired cognition and fatigue. Thus, it is not surprising that patients with CCSVI associated with MS also report rapid relief of these nonlocalizing symptoms after treatment.

The general or global symptoms of fatigue, impaired cognitive performance, and heat intolerance often experienced by MS patients appear to respond to relief of CCSVI obstructions in certain patients. The precise response rate and expected duration of any improvement in symptoms after endovascular treatments are not well established, but numerous trials are actively under development to better define the potential benefits and possible complications of interventional management of CCSVI.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

There are also articles by Dr. Haacke, Dr. Mehta and others who spoke in Albany. Highly recommended reading. Suitable to print and send to interested doctors and researchers.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Excellent reading!

Thanks again Cheerleader.

Lora
codefellow
Family Elder

V-Aware

Post by codefellow »

Does V-Aware qualify as a peer-reviewed medical journal?

If not, what does?
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi cheerleader,

Thanks for posting the link to the articles in the journal V-Aware by all the presenters at Dr. Mehta's recent Albany Vascular Roundtable on CCSVI.

The journal, published quarterly by The Center for Vascular Awareness which also hosts all the Albany Vascular Roundtables, often has articles on CCSVI and always discusses vascular health, so everyone should become a regular reader. To have free copies of the journal mailed, here is the order form.

I understand from reading Sharon Richardson's post on the CCSVI in MS Facebook page that CCSVI Alliance has an *exclusive* to the video of the CCSVI Roundtable. Congratulations! So great seeing the Alliance cementing relationships with the pioneering doctors of CCSVI.

Will you please let us know when the video link is available?

Thank you!
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

TY happypoet
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Thank you, Cheer and HP, for the info and links!
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Happy Poet -
You wrote:
I understand from reading Sharon Richardson's post on the CCSVI in MS Facebook page that CCSVI Alliance has an *exclusive* to the video of the CCSVI Roundtable. Congratulations! So great seeing the Alliance cementing relationships with the pioneering doctors of CCSVI.
To clarify - CCSVI Alliance recorded an exclusive interview with Dr. Manish Mehta and Dr. Michael Dake. The Alliance does not have an exclusive to the Rountable presentations.

You are correct though, we are establishing relationships with doctors throughout the US. I will be speaking at the International Society of Endovascular Therepy ISET 2011 http://www.iset.org/.

ISET Town Hall Meeting Controversy Rages! Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency: Is it Real and Is There a Role for Endovascular Therapy? Dr. Michael Dake, Dr. Paolo Zamboni and Dr. Salvatore Sclafani will also be on the panel.

Sharon
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

That's great, Sharon. The full blurb is here, although you had me at the panel participants. :)
Town Hall Meeting - Controversy Rages! Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency: Is It Real and Is There a Role for Endovascular Therapy?

Reminiscent of the controversy that surrounded angioplasty in its early days, the growing global debate swirling around the endovascular procedure to treat chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) and possibly improve the symptoms of patients with multiple sclerosis will get a comprehensive hearing. Leaders with clinical and research experience in the use of the procedure - as well as the head of a growing patient advocacy movement in favor of fast-tracking its approval - will gather to separate fact from fiction.
HappyPoet, great links. I was happily surprised when I received this in the mail a week ago, I must've gotten on the list as a former potential patient.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Codefellow,

I'll kindly take a stab at your question: The V-Aware journal does not publish clinical studies nor is it marketed as such a journal.

Did something cheer say confuse the issue? If yes, I'm sure she would appreciate being told. Anyway, I hope my answer, albeit simple, helps. :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Cece,

The journal is always chock full of good info, so I'm glad you're receiving it in the mail. Links to back issues can be found on the V-Aware website.

Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~

Sharon - I went to the source: the link to the video of Dr. Mehta's Albany Vascular Roundtable on CCSVI, which was hosted by The Center for Vascular Awareness, will soon be put on the V-Aware website.

Your reply made me realize I forgot to say that Dr. Mehta is the founder of The Center for Vascular Awareness which publishes the V-Aware journal.