Allergic Reaction to Contrast Dye During CCSVI treatment?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
jacksonsmommy
Family Member

Allergic Reaction to Contrast Dye During CCSVI treatment?

Post by jacksonsmommy »

I recently heard of someone that had a life threatening reaction to the contrast dye while on the table. They had to stop the procedure immediately.

This person now knows that they have serious stenosis, but have been told that they will never be able to get it treated now unless a new type of dye is invented.

Ever heard of this? Is there seriously no workaround?
drsclafani
Family Elder

Re: Allergic Reaction to Contract Dye During CCSVI treatment

Post by drsclafani »

jacksonsmommy wrote:I recently heard of someone that had a life threatening reaction to the contrast dye while on the table. They had to stop the procedure immediately.

This person now knows that they have serious stenosis, but have been told that they will never be able to get it treated now unless a new type of dye is invented.

Ever heard of this? Is there seriously no workaround?
Life threatening contrast (dye) reactions occur with an estimated frequency of 1:140,000 to 1:1,000,000. Prior allergic reactions predisposes to another one. Life threatening reactions include anaphylactic reaction, irreversible asthma or bronchospasm, edema of the throat so bad the airway cannot be secured. It is generally considered an absolute contraindication to further imaging with contrast media.

risk analysis does not favor performing this procedure. While we believe that the liberation procoedure has great potential benefits compared to general risk estimates, in this particular patient risk may out weigh benefit.

the only alternative i can think of is to perform the procedure under IVUS alone. that would be quite a challenge. However, with prior venogram completed, it is not without some merit.

i would only consider it, however, in the group where benefit is most compelling, namely RRMS
jacksonsmommy
Family Member

Post by jacksonsmommy »

Thanks for the response Dr!

I knew from reading all the slightly scary informed consent forms for my MRIs and my CCSVI treatment that it was a risk. I just didn't realize it meant no contrast ever again.

The woman this happened to is SPMS so I think this is the end of the CCSVI road for her (for now).
CCSVI procedure May 31, 2010
RRMS - Official diagnosis January 2009
MS symptoms since at least 2000 (EBV trigger 98?)
75 - 80% Resistant Stenosis in Left Jugular - Stent
Tokuda Hospital, Bulgaria (Dr. Petrov)
Immediate and substantial results!!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

jacksonsmommy wrote:The woman this happened to is SPMS so I think this is the end of the CCSVI road for her (for now).
Sorry to hear this. What a rare thing. I don't suppose we know if anyone is even working on inventing the sort of dye that would be needed. Although I am as usual impressed that when one doc says nothing can be done, our doc can still think of something to try.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

I had a severe reaction to the Iodine contrast dye years ago, so know the procecure is not an option for me--but is good to see tht dr Sclafani does see another option--even if only for RRMS--always new or other ways to see things, and who knows, a new dye could be in the works already.
Also, knowing this procedure is out for me has caused me to explore MANY other modes of treatment--nutritional, chiro, ostopath, etc.
At the moment, getting superb results with osteopathic manipulations.