The thought of it grosses me out

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
DenverCO
Family Elder

The thought of it grosses me out

Post by DenverCO »

I cannot even read about CCSVI without having to put my head between my knees. Am I the only one?
1eye
Family Elder

Re: The thought of it grosses me out

Post by 1eye »

DenverCO wrote:I cannot even read about CCSVI without having to put my head between my knees. Am I the only one?
yes
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
eric593
Family Elder

Post by eric593 »

DenverCO wrote:I cannot even read about CCSVI without having to put my head between my knees. Am I the only one?
Why is that your reaction?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

:) Gravity might be working against your blood flow, in that position.

Or is it a brace for impact? Paradigm crash ahead?

I suppose a person could be squeamish about the surgical procedure, catheter snaking through the veins, enter from the groin part of it?
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

I like to think of it more as a shift than a crash....thank you very much:)
It's a paradigm shift
soapdiva884
Family Elder

Post by soapdiva884 »

8O There is nothing to be grossed out about 8O
Boyfriend dx'd 6-6-06!!! RRMS............CCSVI procedure done on Nov. 13, 2010 and March 7, 2011 by Dr. Sclafani!
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

Perky
Family Member

Post by Perky »

Hi DenverCO. Do you mean that the thought of liberation/angioplasty/stents grosses you out? If so, I can certainly relate to that. I've always been squeamish about veins, and particularly ones that pulsate visibly and palpably such as those in the neck! For this reason I don't relish the thought of being conscious while my veins are treated, but that doesn't mean I won't undergo it one day.

The thought of CCSVI doesn't gross me out though; on the contrary it makes me feel very hopeful to know there is a possibly treatable aspect to MS.
Needled
Family Elder

Post by Needled »

No, Denver, I'm sure you're not the only one. People should remember there are others who have fears and phobias about blood, needles, hospitals, etc. I have to lay down when I give blood cuz it can make me queasy. I don't even like reading about it. I don't like medical stuff, I hate needles and generally hate going to any kind of doctor. But MS changed the playing field on me entirely. So now I can have an IV in my arm (NEVER in my hand, tried that once, it didn't work so well :roll: ), read and understand CCSVI and other MS-related material and handle it very well. Oh, and that's along with giving myself my daily Copaxone shot. Did I mention how much I hate needles? The big joke was on me there...
I had the procedure last year, and was freaked at the thought of being awake while all this was going on. Cece, you're spot on about the squeamish part. I wanted anastesia. God bless Dr. S, though, he explained why he wanted me awake. And I did it. Course all I did was lay there while he and his great staff did all the work, but I will always consider that one of my biggest personal accomplishments. If I can do it, anybody can.
So no, you're not alone. And guys, please give Denver a break. This stuff isn't a walk in the park for everyone.
MarkW
Family Elder

Late Stage MS or Venoplasty ???

Post by MarkW »

Read about the later stages of MS then compare it to venoplasty, it was a simple choice for me. Venoplasty is not a delight (eg having my pubic hair shaved etc etc) but if it stops my MS progression I would undergo venoplasty every year.

MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Hi DenverCO,

As I child I passed out at the sight of blood or when a baby tooth literally fell out of my mouth, I had to lay down before, during and after all shots, just the thought, ick!!!

They didn't do that for me the day they gave Polio shots at school. So down I went on the cold cement floor!!

But as Needled said,
MS changed the playing field on me entirely. I have to lay down when I give blood cuz it can make me queasy. Oh, and that's along with giving myself my daily Copaxone shot.
I too had to inject my own Avonex shots, MS does indeed change the rules.

Anyway, DenverCO, go to Donna's thread, Dr. Makris' 1st CCSVI Procedure-28 Dec 2010, if you can look at the photos, I think it's helpful to better understand some of the aspects of the procedure.

Lora
DenverCO
Family Elder

Vascular Phobia

Post by DenverCO »

Perky & Needled, you get it. Believe me I would do anything to have my life back but I am extremely squeamish about certain vein related things. IVs have been a struggle but I deal with it.
I guess my real question is can you undergo the procedure while under general anesthesia and Needled answered that one for me. Thanks.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

DenverCO, I think different docs have different opinions on the anesthesia. I know people here have described having a "twilight" type of anesthesia.
wobbly
Family Member

Post by wobbly »

hi all --all i can say is i was having cocktails in italy 3-4 hrs after totally no big deal
Needled
Family Elder

Post by Needled »

Denver, You're in better shape than I am if you only have issues with certain vein-related stuff. I hate all things medical and always have since I was a kid. Nothing rational about it, it' just the way it is for me.
Most importantly, Cece is right about the anastesia. Different docs have different procedures and protocols. My doctor wants his patients awake and alert. There are others who use different levels of sedation. Try to get your head around the concepts, read about it, start looking at the pictures. I know that can be hard. Really I do. But those are the first steps.
The procedure wasn't a big deal. It was very interesting and I kept thinking how lucky I was to be there. That's really easy to say after you've had it done. The THOUGHT of it is gross. Ask any sane person who knows nothing about MS, CCSVI or angioplasty if they'd like to be awake or semi-conscious when a doctor is snaking a wire up near their ears 8O and you're gonna get a big fat NO THANK YOU. KNOCK ME OUT, PLEASE.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”