Question for ladies ONLY who have had CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
sofia
Family Elder

Post by sofia »

feel worse around my period, ms wise
<div>I have lived with ms for 8 years. The last year has been hell, I've gone from shite to even worse every single month, until my liberation in May. </div>
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

sofia wrote:feel worse around my period, ms wise
Ladies
pardon my intrusion, but as a doctor i seem to think this is not a female issue as much as a patient issue.

This is all very interesting. Reading the thread i cannot discern whether all or most of the writers were on some form of anticoagulation while there periods are worse or just had the procedure. Further, we do not know age of each woman so the diagnosis of the reason for menorrhagia, ie, heavy period lasting more than five days is unknown. Many of my patients receiving liberation have been in their late forties early fifties, or perimenopausal. such woman frequently have uterine fibroids that may really become problematic on anticoagulation, including antithrombin agents, such as lovenox, clexane, enoxaparin and coumadin, and antiplatelet agents such as aspirin and plavix.

severe hemorrhage that lowers your red blood cell count leads to anemia which can cause inadequate oxygen delivery to the tissue and that could make you really bad. if you are fearful of your brain iron and avoid iron in your diet, that could be a real problem in recovering from the blood loss. Might that lead to a terrible feeling and exacerbation by the stress of it?

By the way, if you have been on short term anticoagulation, one can expect to revert to normal coagulation ability with a week or so. So i do not think that one should think that increased clotting a long time after stopping anticoagulation makes any sense to be the result of the anticoagulation.

This is now another reason i want to avoid using stents.

ok, girls, i will leave now
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

drsclafani wrote:This is now another reason i want to avoid using stents.
Because stents require longer term anticoagulation and the anticoagulation can cause complications with heavy menstruation, particularly if the patient has undiagnosed fibroids. (Just restating, making sure I follow.)

Fibroids are treatable by IRs too.

I also double-checked, it is the hypothalamus that is in charge of the hormones of menstruation. Hypothalamus is on the bottom side of the brain so is likely affected by the changes in cerebral blood flow, but what you'd expect would be for those changes to be healthy and normalizing.
mavis
Family Member

Post by mavis »

Hello,

This is my first post though definitely NOT my first time on TIMS as I have been a lurker for a long time.

I had my liberation treatment back in May and was treated with Clexane, Plavix and Aspirin since I have a stent. My periods have been always normal since then, flow-wise and duration-wise, just like the ones before the treatment.

Recent US showed a clot in the stent (I know, it's bad news), therefore I was treated with Lovenox then Coumadin to hike my INR. Although right now I am on Coumadin and baby aspirin, my last period fell into a time period when I was taking all three and still there was NO difference. It was as regular as it could be.

I don't know what this means, because if I cut myself, or pull a cuticle or something I bleed a lot and it takes a long time until it stops.