For those with stents in jugulars...

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
mavis
Family Member

Post by mavis »

Unfortunately my answer would be a YES to all three. My latest US (done 7 mos. after the procedure) showed a blood clot and therefore a 50% stenosis of the left jugular. (Clot wasn't there at 3 mo. check-up)
And you can assume my symptoms are much worse.
jacksonsmommy
Family Member

Post by jacksonsmommy »

No, no and no!
CCSVI procedure May 31, 2010
RRMS - Official diagnosis January 2009
MS symptoms since at least 2000 (EBV trigger 98?)
75 - 80% Resistant Stenosis in Left Jugular - Stent
Tokuda Hospital, Bulgaria (Dr. Petrov)
Immediate and substantial results!!
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Yes (relapsed during the 2nd and 3rd terms of a pregnancy with the 3rd term being absolutely the worst. I think there was a possible connection to my very low blood pressure of 70 over 30 which the obstetrician mentioned could cause placental hypoperfusion and I inferred could worsen my cerebral hypoperfusion).
No restenosis (but new problem in lower valve found in October by Simka)
No thrombosis
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
spiff1970
Family Member

Post by spiff1970 »

mavis wrote:Unfortunately my answer would be a YES to all three. My latest US (done 7 mos. after the procedure) showed a blood clot and therefore a 50% stenosis of the left jugular. (Clot wasn't there at 3 mo. check-up)
And you can assume my symptoms are much worse.
Did you do anticoagulants after the procedure? For how long?
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

1. yes (left high up)
2. yes (just below stent, stent itself is fine)
3. no

-Doppler was done today
-treating doc was unable to get into azygos 3 weeks ago so don't know if that's an issue adding to the restenosed LIJV.
-on Coumadin
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

Know two friends with stent that got thrombosis. Even after intervention to liberate the stent again, thrombosis again :( blood thinners for 6 months until the stent is integrated seem to be crucial in these cases.

The biodegradable stents that dissolve after 1 year seem to be maybe a good solution for the future (should the vein then stay open, to be seen..), at least first results on arteries seem promising.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

The stent is integrated within a few weeks, Zeureka, I am not sure about that 6 month figure?

Here is what Dr. Cumming said about the secondary patency with stents, it's not good: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-149901.html#149901

And then I will get out of this thread with apologies, as I have not yet had the procedure (one month to go!) and have no personal experience with stents.
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

Hi Cece nice to hear from you :D. Right, integration earlier but do not know precisely timing for risk of thrombosis. Mentioned this 6 months figure since know Dr Beelen in Belgium in some cases of patients with thrombosis and stent reliberation has prescribed blood thinners for 6 months-1 year. Usually he has not for such a long period after first time stent, but if a thrombosis re-occurred he did.

And the following article (but on biodegradable stents in arteries and seems not recent) also mentioned something about 6 months: >>If an artery stays open for six months after being unclogged, it’s essentially healed, he said.<<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15405830/ns ... rt_health/
spiff1970
Family Member

Post by spiff1970 »

Let me ask you another question then... For those who had thrombosis, were you prescribed with anticoagulants after the first intervention (when the stent was placed)? Or does thrombosis occur even when you're on anticoagulants?

Spiff
vivavie
Family Elder

Post by vivavie »

Yep, after stenting I was put on Lovenox and Coumadin. The day after the procedure the ultrasound showed the thrombosis. I had another veno right away to break it down and put meds directly at the site.
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

spiff1970 wrote:Let me ask you another question then... For those who had thrombosis, were you prescribed with anticoagulants after the first intervention (when the stent was placed)? Or does thrombosis occur even when you're on anticoagulants?

Spiff
Unfortunately in the cases I heard of it even happened with anticoagulants, but regular doppler controls after stent placement should provide indication whether anticoagulant intake is necessary for a longer period or not (and what type of anticoagulants to move on with if necessary). Think a good follow-up after stent placement is really recommended. In which intervals should be checked with the doctors experience.

Stimes thrombosis occurs only partly - heard at least of 1 such case - and as long as the blood-flow is still good, seems a thrombosis of 40% (so 60% open vein can in some cases be sufficient to ensure normal blood flow) and can then be maintained with anticoagulants - or a combination of such - for 1 or 2 years to avoid that the vein closes completely. It seems that the critical points are 40-60 days after stent placement and then 1-2 years and after that one can be nearly sure that no further thrombosis will occur...I only talk here of 1 case of which know of and that was treated by a Belgian doc telling us this. Could well be that other docs have other opinions and experiences.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”