Stents seemed to be used fairly often by many of the doctors, especially in Poland..
It is Poland where the stents are rarely used for CCSVI procedure, only when absolutely needed! Please don't spread such unconfirmed rumours.
The facts speak for themselves. 44% is not rare.
Endovascular treatment for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency: is the procedure safe?
T Ludyga *, M Kazibudzki *, M Simka * , M Hartel , M wierad *, J Piegza *, P Latacz *, L Sedlak * and M Tochowicz *
* EUROMEDIC Specialist Clinics, Department of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery, Katowice; Magnetic Resonance Imaging Department VOXEL, Medical University Hospital No 1, Zabrze, Poland
Correspondence: M Simka PhD MD, ul. Jednosci 20, 43-245 Studzionka, Poland. Email: email@example.com
Objectives: The aim of this report is to assess the safety of endovascular treatment for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI). Although balloon angioplasty and stenting seem to be safe procedures, there are currently no data on the treatment of a large group of patients with this vascular pathology.
Methods: A total of 564 endovascular procedures (balloon angioplasty or, if this procedure failed, stenting) were performed during 344 interventions in 331 CCSVI patients with associated multiple sclerosis.
Results: Balloon angioplasty alone was performed in 192 cases (55.8%), whereas the stenting of at least one vein was required in the remaining 152 cases (44.2%). There were no major complications (severe bleeding, venous thrombosis, stent migration or injury to the nerves) related to the procedure, except for thrombotic occlusion of the stent in two cases (1.2% of stenting procedures) and surgical opening of femoral vein to remove angioplastic balloon in one case (0.3% of procedures). Minor complications included occasional technical problems (2.4% of procedures): difficulty removing the angioplastic balloon or problems with proper placement of stent, and other medical events (2.1% of procedures): local bleeding from the groin, minor gastrointestinal bleeding or cardiac arrhythmia.
Conclusions: The procedures appeared to be safe and well tolerated by the patients, regardless of the actual impact of the endovascular treatments for venous pathology on the clinical course of multiple sclerosis, which warrants long-term follow-up.
Key Words: endovascular treatm