Hypoxic inflamed veins? Eat berries, drink green tea....

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Hypoxic inflamed veins? Eat berries, drink green tea....

Post by Cece »

Hypoxia and Treatment of Varicose Veins

Few studies have investigated potential pharmacologic
agents that may protect the vein wall from hypoxia. The
most commonly studied group of pharmacological agents
in this context has been the venoactive drugs such as flavonoids
[19, 41, 55, 57, 62] . Venoactive drugs are often
derived from plant extracts, and their therapeutic actions
include increased venous tone, reduced vein wall inflammation
and decreased capillary permeability [6, 63] .

In vitro models have been used to investigate the effects
of venoactive drugs on hypoxia-induced endothelial
and PMN activation [41, 57] . In a HUVEC model, aescine
was shown to inhibit hypoxia-induced activation of endothelial
cells, leucocytes, and the interactions of these
cells in a dose-dependent manner [41, 57] . Venoactive
drugs were also shown to target complexes I and III of the
mitochondrial respiratory chain or adenine nucleotide
translocase, reduce oxidative stress, and increase ATP
synthesis during hypoxia [8, 41, 64] . A further study used
an ex vivo vein explant model and found that flavonoids
significantly reduced the oxygen consumption of varicose
veins [55] .
<shortened url>
What foods provide flavonoids?

Virtually all fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices contain flavonoids. They are also found in other types of food, including dry beans (where they give red beans,black beans, and speckled beans their color) and grains (where the color provided by flavonoids is usually in the yellow family). Products made from the foods above (for example, wines made from grapes) also typically contain a wide variety of flavonoids.

While the flavonoid family is too complex to report all of its food connections, some highlights are especially important. In the fruit family, it is berries that come out highest in the chemical category of flavonoids called anthocyanins. Black raspberries, for example, may contain up to 100 milligrams of anthocyanins per ounce.

Green tea has flavonoid components called catechins that may reach 1,000 milligrams (or 1 gram) per cup. In general the more colorful components of the food - like the skins of fruits - contain the highest concentration of flavonoids. An exception to this rule, however, is the white pulpy inside of oranges. Unlike the watery orange-colored sections of this fruit, which contain virtually all of its vitamin C, the orange's flavonoids are found in the white pulpy portion inside the skin and surrounding the sections.
www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=119

There's also a good chart diagram in the first article linked, I'll post it next, as well as Dr. Simka's abstract that ties in.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Blood Brain Barrier Compromise with Endothelial Inflammation may Lead to Autoimmune Loss of Myelin during Multiple Sclerosis
Author: Simka, Marian

Source: Current Neurovascular Research, Volume 6, Number 2, May 2009 , pp. 132-139(8)

Abstract:

Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease characterized by multifocal areas of inflammation and demyelination within the central nervous system. The mechanism that triggers the disease remains elusive. However, recent findings may indicate that multiple sclerosis, at its source, could be a hemodynamic disorder. It has been found that multiple sclerosis patients exhibit significant stenoses in extracranial veins draining the central nervous system (in azygous and internal jugular veins), which are associated with significant pressure gradients measured across strictures. Such anatomic venous abnormalities were not found in the control group of healthy subjects. In this review, it is hypothesized that pathological refluxing venous flow in the cerebral and spinal veins increases the expression of adhesion molecules, particularly intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1), by the cerebrovascular endothelium. This, in turn, could lead to the increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier. Inflamed and activated endothelium could secrete proinflammatory cytokines, including GM-CSF and TGF-beta. In these settings, monocytes could transform into antigenpresenting cells and initiate an autoimmune attack against myelin-containing cells. Consequently, a potential therapeutic option for multiple sclerosis could be pharmacotherapy with either substances that strengthen the tight-junctions barrier, or with agents that reduce the expression of adhesion molecules. In addition, surgical correction could be an option in some anatomical variants of pathologic venous outflow. We are optimistic that a hemodynamic approach to the multiple sclerosis pathogenesis can open a new chapter of investigations and treatment of this debilitating neurologic disease.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/b ... 2/art00008

This ties in with what I posted above, that consuming flavonoids may reduce the inflammation and activation of the endothelium. None of this is new, but back when I was first diagnosed and reading about MS and all the things that help a little (drinking green tea might help a little, eating fruit might helps a little) I never tied it in to the effect on the endothelium, it was always in my mind a question of how that affected the neurons or brain directly.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

These are all risk factors in varicose veins in the leg, but I see parallels to our blocked veins in the neck. The potential pharmacological agents is of interest. Flavonoids, HIF inhibitors, COX-2 inhibitors, MMP modulators and VEGF inhibitors. Vein wall remodelling is even mentioned, we were wondering about that term in another thread! Stasis of the blood causes two types of vein hypoxia, both the endothelial layer and the deeper medial layer.

(And when I say in the thread subject, "Hypoxic inflamed veins? Eat berries, drink green tea...." that would be in addition to getting CCSVI venoplasty! :) )
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Green Tea Machta blend

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

Great info Cece. Thank you.

I just had my first cup of Green Tea Machta blend from Costco. The box of 100 tea bags was around $14.

WeWillBeatMS
<div>WeWillBeatMS<br /><br /><br />Zamboni for President!</div>
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Alas, I am drinking Diet Coke. In the morning too.

Your choice is far better. :wink:
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

Cece wrote:Alas, I am drinking Diet Coke. In the morning too.

Your choice is far better. :wink:
Cece! You shock me! '8O' What kind of example is our leader setting?!? I'm drinking my green tea right now. (as I do every morning).
Last edited by Blaze on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

Even leaders need a kick in the pants sometimes.

WeWillBeatMS
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

By the way Cece, Diet Coke has Aspartame (the blue packet) which is a known neurotoxin. Don't drink that crap please.

WeWillBeatMS
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Not that I need to add more fuel to the fire but when I used to consume aspartame (diet coke etc.) I got tingling/numbness in my hands. Needless to say I don't go there any more.

PN
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I have given up the Diet Coke twice now in the last year, lasting about six weeks each time, most recently this January. I expect to try again but am beginning to have doubts about my staying power! What to reach for instead? Cold and sweet preferably and I can't be drinking red wine all day. ;)
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

Cece,

You are poisoning yourself. If you have to drink soda, have the real deal. But refined sugar and corn syrup is bad for you too.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

Ginger, flax, tumeric (curry), I forgot what else my homeopathic Dr said. If u go look in the natural forum, I forget the name of forum on here.
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

Water Cece. Once you start drinking water regularly for about a week solid you will begin to acquire a taste for it.
Your desire for something sweet might be pointing toward a fungus or candida issue in your gut. There's a guy who I respect a lot, Doug Kaufmann, who has a TV show on cable called "Know the Cause" and a website, knowthecause.com which may offer help kicking the fungus problem.

WeWillBeatMS
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

cece, we are only human. you will do it in time. we all have our vices. you know it's not good and who can judge? this crazy disease can almost drive you nuts - all the do's and don't's. then you see people that have abused themselves all their life and they are just a getting it on. like what the blank is this about??

do what you can do. so glad you are doing so well.

thanks for the info.
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

Cece wrote: What to reach for instead? Cold and sweet preferably and I can't be drinking red wine all day. ;)
What about iced green tea? It might be worth a try. Or maybe pomegranate juice. Great anitoxidants,but I think it's high in sugar. Apple or orange juice would be better than Diet Coke.

Enough of the lecture!