Procedure w/ Dr. Sclafani 4/1/11

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
lostwitness

Post by lostwitness »

How long is the wait to get the procedure done by Dr. Sclafani?

I was interested in getting the procedure done by him. Where can I find the contact info for his office??

Thanks!
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

lostwitness wrote:How long is the wait to get the procedure done by Dr. Sclafani?

I was interested in getting the procedure done by him. Where can I find the contact info for his office??

Thanks!
After reading this harrowing story!?!? 8O Big LOL :lol:

(nothing against the doctor, just odd timing on this :D )
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Well, he DID get the balloon out.....
Please contact Karen Moran at kmoran@aac-llc.com for information about CCSVI treatment with Dr. Sclafani.
Highly recommend Dr. Sclafani! He has given us so much education and inspiration here at TIMS. He collaborates with the other researchers, including Dr. Zamboni. He is the one I chose when I had the procedure myself. He uses IVUS to great effect, he prescribes anticoagulation, and he has years of experience in angioplasty, which all makes a difference.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

what happened to maggie's hubby is really scarey-it might have been the first time we've heard of something like this but i doubt it will be the last.

the good that came out of it is that we know that this could happen with any
ir because "it had nothing to do with dr. sclafani's skill" and thankfully if it was to happen it was being performed by an ir with the experience and knowledge dr. sclafani has.
Johnson
Family Elder

Re: ccsvi

Post by Johnson »

blossom wrote:what happened to maggie's hubby is really scarey-it might have been the first time we've heard of something like this but i doubt it will be the last.

the good that came out of it is that we know that this could happen with any
ir because "it had nothing to do with dr. sclafani's skill" and thankfully if it was to happen it was being performed by an ir with the experience and knowledge dr. sclafani has.
I totally agree. If something is going to go sideways, let it be with a cool-headed, hugely experienced Doc. like Doc. Sclafani. I have an admiration for his thinking.

32 PSI.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Cece wrote:
drsclafani wrote:But having bailed myself out of a big problem, i still had to finish the procedure. so up back into the left IJV i went.
Going back in seems brave of both doctor and patient! Have you had a balloon break on you like that ever before?
Yes of course
did we ever have a malfunction of a Shuttle? A refrigerator? a grocery bag?

mechanical things break.

in my long practice i have had catheters break, balloons burst, xray machines crash, electricity fail, injectors stop, lights go out, in fact a couple of times a whole city went dark.

Fortunately, recovery from all of these was possible and successful without harm to patients.

It might seem quite harrowing to the lay person, but we are trained to fix what gets broken.

That is why you should choose an experienced interventionalist specializing in endovascular treatments
Cece
Family Elder

Re: ccsvi

Post by Cece »

blossom wrote:what happened to maggie's hubby is really scarey-it might have been the first time we've heard of something like this but i doubt it will be the last.
Last fall, when Dr. Simka's safety study came out, it included that he'd had a few cases of balloon failure and one surgery to remove a stuck balloon. Some of us discussed it then, wondering how the heck that happens; now I have a much more vivid understanding!

Let's see...
http://phleb.rsmjournals.com/cgi/conten ... t/25/6/286
Methods: A total of 564 endovascular procedures (balloon angioplasty or, if this procedure failed, stenting) were performed during 344 interventions in 331 CCSVI patients with associated multiple sclerosis.

Results: Balloon angioplasty alone was performed in 192 cases (55.8%), whereas the stenting of at least one vein was required in the remaining 152 cases (44.2%). There were no major complications (severe bleeding, venous thrombosis, stent migration or injury to the nerves) related to the procedure, except for thrombotic occlusion of the stent in two cases (1.2% of stenting procedures) and surgical opening of femoral vein to remove angioplastic balloon in one case (0.3% of procedures). Minor complications included occasional technical problems (2.4% of procedures): difficulty removing the angioplastic balloon or problems with proper placement of stent, and other medical events (2.1% of procedures): local bleeding from the groin, minor gastrointestinal bleeding or cardiac arrhythmia.
In 331 patients, the incidence of stuck balloons is less than 2.7% with difficulties with proper placing of stents included in that number.
Rompers
Getting to Know You...

Post by Rompers »

Dr. Sclafani wrote:

"That is why you should choose an experienced interventionalist specializing in endovascular treatments"

....and those reasons were why I chose you!

See you May 3rd!!

Rhonda
(still calm)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”