COULD WE BE GETTING CLOSER TO THE END???

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

COULD WE BE GETTING CLOSER TO THE END???

Postby THEGREEKFROMTHED » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 am

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_n_p ... s-in-mice-

www.thegreekfromdetroit.com

of course the caveat:"we are years away from testing this in humans" was once again included!
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: COULD WE BE GETTING CLOSER TO THE END???

Postby Liberation » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:05 am

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_n_palm_beach_county/jupiter/scripps-researchers-find-way-to-stop-ms-in-mice-

www.thegreekfromdetroit.com

of course the caveat:"we are years away from testing this in humans" was once again included!

I have never heard of an animal with MS being treated as they can not inflict MS on an animal as they don't even know what MS is. The only thing how researchers try to simulate MS is through EAE, but this is not MS. This is why most of their drugs do not work on human, because they test them on animals with a possibly different illnes.
Liberation
Family Elder

Postby 1eye » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:27 am

My best friends are mice. I'd let one mow my lawn, hell, he could even marry my daughter if he was mighty enough. Never met a mouse with 'MS' I didn't like. One thing about CCSVI. By the time everybody gets treated, there won't be a single mouse left with 'MS'.
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
1eye
Family Elder

Postby Doodles » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

It was a mouse study that led us to the autoimmune theory that MS neurologists cling to with such vigour. Specifically, experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) which is an animal model of brain inflammation introduced in the 1930s. The autoimmune theory has not been proven nor has it been replicated. The disease modifying drugs are based on this unproven theory and, indeed, until CCSVI most research supposedly looking for a cure for MS has been based on this unproven theory. I think it is time to move on, 60 years or more of chasing a theory that has yet to be proven or replicated is enough. The studies presented in Italy at the ISNVD conference and at the SIR conference in Chicago are just some of the research that is proving Dr. Zamboni's work and replicating it.
Doodles
Family Member

Postby cathyb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:29 am

I love this: "MS is so much easier to treat in mice than in humans, he said, that researchers sometimes joke that rattling the cage will cure the disease in laboratory animals."

Why don't any of these researchers stop for a minute and think to themselves that maybe MS in mice is easy to cure because it's NOT MS? I believe that doctors can also "cure" Athletes Foot, but researchers probably aren't wondering why Lamisil isn't "curing" diabetes. Then again, who knows, maybe they ARE wondering that.
cathyb
Family Member

Postby Liberation » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 am

cathyb wrote:
Why don't any of these researchers stop for a minute and think to themselves that maybe MS in mice is easy to cure because it's NOT MS?

Thanks, cathyb. That is exactly what I tried to say. Even researchers, neuros know that EAE treated in mice is not MS, it has only similar characteristics. We can not induce MS into mice until we do not know what causes MS. That is the big problem that after 60 years of reasearch we still do not know what causes MS, so proper drug development can not be done.

My personal feeling is that we are diagnosed with MS, but many of us have different illneses, one might be caused by virus, another one by CCSVI, etc. So doctors should realize that one does not fit all.
Liberation
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)