This is still an election issue

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Some of my best friends are hypothetical.

Was that a Learner's Permit on Prince William's Aston Martin?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
fernando
Family Elder

Post by fernando »

Cece wrote:
fernando wrote:Nobody is sticking a catheter into his/her own groin.
Not since Werner Forssmann....
www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-148965.html#148965
:)
Good one. But, after all, he was a Doctor.
fernando
Family Elder

Post by fernando »

willowford wrote: If I had an expensive car, I would only let the most knowledgeable mechanic go near it. If a woman sees a friend with a great hairstyle, they would never (rarely) ask their friend to cut their hair for them in that style! They'd go to the salon where a "hair expert" who has training and knows what to do will do it for them.
The same doesn't always hold for what we put into our bodies. Doesn't that concern anybody that we have are more careful about our cars or hair than our bodies?
Again, I think you are underestimating people's abilities to judge what's in their best interest. People are doing theses procedures under medical supervision, by top notch doctors. As I have said before, nobody is - apart from the good German doctor- sticking a catheter into her/his own groin.
willowford
Family Elder

Post by willowford »

fernando wrote: Again, I think you are underestimating people's abilities to judge what's in their best interest. People are doing theses procedures under medical supervision, by top notch doctors. As I have said before, nobody is - apart from the good German doctor- sticking a catheter into her/his own groin.
I certainly don't mean to underestimate anyone's ability to judge. And I'm more referring to medications and supplements that people take (I posted another blurb with examples I think; one e.g., trying diabetes meds for MS when the idea is only in the theoretical stages and there's no evidence).

But I hear this all the time. Again, I don't have any numbers or anything - but just about everyone I know walks around giving everyone around them medical advice all the time. These are super intelligent and knowledgeable people in their own fields, but they give medical advice as if they are the experts on that drug.

Same thing in forums. People advocate a particular drug/supplement just because it worked for them. Without considering that other people could have other conditions that make them bad candidates for those drugs.

I don't agree that people always know what's in their own best interest... if they had complete knowledge, then perhaps... but unfortunately we don't all have expertise in every area ... I certainly don't... that's why I would ask someone who does... on any matter.

I certainly hope that others reading are running these ideas by someone who is an expert on the drug and what it does to every system in the body, not just the brain.

I just wonder at what point do we cross the line between sharing experiences vs giving directed advice to others? Is it ethical to give advice about important issues without knowing all the nitty-gritty of what we're advocating?
1eye
Family Elder

speech

Post by 1eye »

Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
1eye
Family Elder

walking and breathing

Post by 1eye »

Walked again today. Went a bit farther. Trying a new strategy based on the thought maybe I'm slow at a lot of stuff because of low oxygenation, and maybe conscious rhythmic breathing during exercise will help. Too soon to tell. A lot of the time, awake or asleep, apnea or not, I think I'm getting lazy about breathing. I hear my wife forget to take a breath all the time when asleep and I'm sure she does me too. So. New leaf time. Is there an aroma that promotes breathing?
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

http://openparliament.ca/search/?q=CCSVI#page=4&q=CCSVI

Post by 1eye »

Walked again yesterday. Triana's over today with her Nordic ski poles. Still working on breathing. OK I'll admit it. Breathing has been hard maybe since before the heart attack. It seems better. Hey it was *me* who got up for Suzanne's puffer at 3AM. *I* wasn't wheezing. Oh, don't you just love allergy season?

Friend who has CCSVI and works for Roger Cuzner, Liberal MP, got to keep her hill job lat night.

So Canada has elected. Elected what, we shall all too soon see. Oh, well, what, 5 years between elections, and 400 people a year? But we mustn't be nationalistic, and think only of ourselves. We aren't the only ones on this road. I can't afford to, or I would go to the UK. Still working on that song, Erica. Got a little sidetracked with Blue Skies and some other stuff, but every day, a bit at a time.
Not a doctor.