oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

Postby Cece » Tue May 10, 2011 6:39 pm

this is a quote from wikipedia, apologies that it is not a better source:

Diagnostic value

The presence of oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluid combined with their absence in blood serum often indicates that immunoglobulins are produced in central nervous system. Therefore it is normal to subtract bands in serum from bands in CSF when investigating CNS diseases.

Oligoclonal bands are an important indicator in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Approximately 79%-90% of all patients with multiple sclerosis have permanently observable oligoclonal bands.

The presence of one band (a monoclonal band) may be considered serious, such as lymphoproliferative disease, or may simply be normal—it must be interpreted in the context of each specific patient. More bands may reflect the presence of a disease. The bands tend to disappear from the cerebrospinal fluid as a person recovers from the neurological disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligoclonal_band

If CCSVI treatment is successful, will the oligoclonal bands disappear, as they tend to do when a person recovers from neurological disease? People don't recover from MS...but maybe they do, now. Wouldn't this be powerful evidence, if indeed these go away.
Cece
Family Elder
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Advertisement

Postby cheerleader » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 pm

we've discussed this before, and it's a great point, Cece. The problem is, who wants to have a voluntary lumbar puncture to check for o-bands? Jeff's already said, thanks, but no thanks....one was enough for him.

If there are any volunteers who have had CCSVI angioplasty, had bands in spinal fluid before, and would want to coordinate this new test with their neuro, I wish them God-speed.

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5042
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: southern California

Postby frodo » Wed May 11, 2011 12:20 am

cheerleader wrote:we've discussed this before, and it's a great point, Cece. The problem is, who wants to have a voluntary lumbar puncture to check for o-bands? Jeff's already said, thanks, but no thanks....one was enough for him.

If there are any volunteers who have had CCSVI angioplasty, had bands in spinal fluid before, and would want to coordinate this new test with their neuro, I wish them God-speed.

cheer


Maybe some people would be willing to do it in exchange for a free angioplasty. A clinical trial measuring OBs probably would recruit enough people to reach a conclusion.
User avatar
frodo
Family Elder
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

Postby CureIous » Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 am

Cece wrote:this is a quote from wikipedia, apologies that it is not a better source:

Diagnostic value

The presence of oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluid combined with their absence in blood serum often indicates that immunoglobulins are produced in central nervous system. Therefore it is normal to subtract bands in serum from bands in CSF when investigating CNS diseases.

Oligoclonal bands are an important indicator in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Approximately 79%-90% of all patients with multiple sclerosis have permanently observable oligoclonal bands.

The presence of one band (a monoclonal band) may be considered serious, such as lymphoproliferative disease, or may simply be normal—it must be interpreted in the context of each specific patient. More bands may reflect the presence of a disease. The bands tend to disappear from the cerebrospinal fluid as a person recovers from the neurological disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligoclonal_band

If CCSVI treatment is successful, will the oligoclonal bands disappear, as they tend to do when a person recovers from neurological disease? People don't recover from MS...but maybe they do, now. Wouldn't this be powerful evidence, if indeed these go away.


Been dying to know this from the git go. My thoughts exactly too, if those bands are gone, after I was told they only needed to be tested for once..hmmm. I mean, the LP wasn't "fun", but the very thought of vanishing oligoclonal bands is almost too much to resist haha. I had another LP just one year prior to hearing about CCSVI, but it was unrelated to the MS stuff. My neuro was miffed I didn't have some of the fluid saved so he could look at it, like how was I sposed to know that?

I'll ask him when I do a visit with him maybe this month. Finally got insurance back.
M
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
User avatar
CureIous
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

Postby Chiawoo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:03 am

I have only recently been diagnosed with MS. I had a lumbar puncture and had oligoclonal bands with a IgG of 9 (what ever that means) I MUST find a way to have the ccsvi procedure. I would be happy to have another spinal after to examine if the bands change or disappear.

In my case, there were only three "superficial" legions in the cervical and thorasic spine and two small legions in the brain. The doctor wasn't convinced I had MS till he saw the results of the spinal.

What is strange is that my symptoms are sever. My arms and brain seem ok. but my legs will not bend at the ankle (not foot drop) my feet drag, numbness and very little ability to move either leg. They also are spastic. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this disease. Thank you and God bless!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." 2 Corinthians 4:16
User avatar
Chiawoo
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:50 am
Location: Port Richey, Florida

Re: oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

Postby bestadmom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 am

I've often thought something similar from day 1.

My last neuro doesn't use o-bands as a marker for MS since they aren't present in 100% of us. But he does analyze disease activity by culturing T and B cells in the CSF extracted thru an LP. He periodically made treatment decisions by doing an LP and making comparisions, generally every 6 months. They were done in his office, sitting up but hunched over, and were no big deal. I only had a headache once and had a least 10 of them.

I believe a baseline cell measurement is important and periodic follow-up ones would answer alot of questions.

The neuros do not feel they've found a biomarker for MS, and therefore, wouldn't agree on the methodology.
User avatar
bestadmom
Family Elder
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: CT

Re: oligoclonal bands and ccsvi recovery

Postby frodo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 am

bestadmom wrote:I've often thought something similar from day 1.

My last neuro doesn't use o-bands as a marker for MS since they aren't present in 100% of us. But he does analyze disease activity by culturing T and B cells in the CSF extracted thru an LP. He periodically made treatment decisions by doing an LP and making comparisions, generally every 6 months. They were done in his office, sitting up but hunched over, and were no big deal. I only had a headache once and had a least 10 of them.

I believe a baseline cell measurement is important and periodic follow-up ones would answer alot of questions.

The neuros do not feel they've found a biomarker for MS, and therefore, wouldn't agree on the methodology.


In fact the presence and absence of OBs (Oligoclonal bands) looks like a very important difference. I don't understand why MS is classified according to the clinical course (RRMS, SPMS, PPMS) and biochemical differences as the presence of OBs are ignored.

Cases with and without OBs should be studied separately.
User avatar
frodo
Family Elder
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm


Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service