Scientific study that vascular insufficiency not inolved?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Scientific study that vascular insufficiency not inolved?

Postby fogdweller » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

Here is a study worth mulling over. Not vey positive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21544565
User avatar
fogdweller
Family Elder
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Advertisement

Postby 1eye » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

Study size = 14 patients, controls = 13 patients. OK, so we know how big is too small.
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
User avatar
1eye
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2924
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Re: Scientific study that vascular insufficiency not inolved

Postby Nunzio » Wed May 18, 2011 10:23 am

fogdweller wrote:Here is a study worth mulling over. Not vey positive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21544565

This study is not worth mulling over at all.
The title is misleading since vascular means blood vessel; both arteries and vein.
In reality the study was done to determine if people with MS have an higher chance to develop cardiovascular disease which is purely an arterial disease.
So the study shows that people with MS do not have an higher predisposition to cardiovascular disease than the general population.
This has nothing to do with CCSVI which is due to defective valves and narrowing of VEINS
Everybody here brings happiness, somebody by coming,others by leaving.  PPMS since 2000<br />
User avatar
Nunzio
Family Elder
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Scientific study that vascular insufficiency not inolved

Postby fogdweller » Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 am

Nunzio wrote:In reality the study was done to determine if people with MS have an higher chance to develop cardiovascular disease which is purely an arterial disease.
So the study shows that people with MS do not have an higher predisposition to cardiovascular disease than the general population.
This has nothing to do with CCSVI which is due to defective valves and narrowing of VEINS


I actually don't read it that way. "Vascular function, as assessed by both FMD and reactive hyperemia, was not impaired in patients with MS compared to controls"

Much as we WANT certain results, we have to maintain objectivity. Of course I need to read the actual article, but if Zamboni is saying that Vascular Insufficiency is resulting in inadequate vascular function in MS patientes, this is evidence to the contrary.
User avatar
fogdweller
Family Elder
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Postby Cece » Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Yes, this was looking at the brachial artery. Maybe it could lend some support to rebutting the argument that MS causes CCSVI, since it seems to be saying that MS does not cause elevated systemic inflammation in the bloodstream.
Cece
Family Elder
 
Posts: 9022
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Re: Scientific study that vascular insufficiency not inolved

Postby Nunzio » Wed May 18, 2011 2:59 pm

fogdweller wrote:
Nunzio wrote:In reality the study was done to determine if people with MS have an higher chance to develop cardiovascular disease which is purely an arterial disease.
So the study shows that people with MS do not have an higher predisposition to cardiovascular disease than the general population.
This has nothing to do with CCSVI which is due to defective valves and narrowing of VEINS


I actually don't read it that way. "Vascular function, as assessed by both FMD and reactive hyperemia, was not impaired in patients with MS compared to controls"

Much as we WANT certain results, we have to maintain objectivity. Of course I need to read the actual article, but if Zamboni is saying that Vascular Insufficiency is resulting in inadequate vascular function in MS patientes, this is evidence to the contrary.

There is only one way to see this:
Abstract

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a debilitating disease with an assumed autoimmune etiology which may lead to elevated oxidative stress, vascular dysfunction, and subsequent predisposition to cardiovascular disease.
]

Heart disease or cardiovascular disease are the class of diseases that involve the heart or blood vessels (arteries and veins).[1] While the term technically refers to any disease that affects the cardiovascular system (as used in MeSH C14), it is usually used to refer to those related to atherosclerosis (arterial disease).

Since Atherosclerosis is not associated to CCSVI the fact that MS is not associated to atherosclerosis therefore has no implication one way or the other
Everybody here brings happiness, somebody by coming,others by leaving.  PPMS since 2000<br />
User avatar
Nunzio
Family Elder
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: South Florida


Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service