PATIENT'S STORY

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dania
Family Elder

PATIENT'S STORY

Post by dania »

What is very interesting with this story, is that she restenosed but the stenosis was in a different location than the original stenosis.
The same happened to me.

DrCumming
Family Elder

Re: PATIENT'S STORY

Post by DrCumming »

dania wrote:What is very interesting with this story, is that she restenosed but the stenosis was in a different location than the original stenosis.
The same happened to me.

I haven't watched the video but have seen this problem. In many instances, I believe, the restenosis is happening because we are over dilating normal vein. See case #3 in the IVUS thread. My approach to ballooning has changed dramatically in the last couple of months because of restenosis problems.
dania
Family Elder

Re: PATIENT'S STORY

Post by dania »

DrCumming wrote:
dania wrote:What is very interesting with this story, is that she restenosed but the stenosis was in a different location than the original stenosis.
The same happened to me.

I haven't watched the video but have seen this problem. In many instances, I believe, the restenosis is happening because we are over dilating normal vein. See case #3 in the IVUS thread. My approach to ballooning has changed dramatically in the last couple of months because of restenosis problems.
Thanks for the input. I wondered about that.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

But why would the restenosis be in a different area of the vein?

I wondered about this with Dr. Sclafani's Friday night example, with the upper jugular stenosis having become completely closed off in less than a year. It had been open originally and as far as I understood, it had never been ballooned there. Why would it close off?
codefellow
Family Elder

Post by codefellow »

Wasn't there also a case a few years ago of a patient who's veins
spontaneously de-stenosed?
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Dania, thanks to Dr. Sclafani's post-procedure protocol of using Arixtra, my six-month old totally occluded femoral vein (different doctor) is now flowing freely again. I believe he saved my leg and perhaps even my life.

Can you get a doctor to prescribe you Arixtra for 21 days? It sure helped me, so maybe it can help you, too. Perhaps it's worth a try?
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

HappyPoet wrote:Dania, thanks to Dr. Sclafani's post-procedure protocol of using Arixtra, my six-month old totally occluded femoral vein (different doctor) is now flowing freely again. I believe he saved my leg and perhaps even my life.

Can you get a doctor to prescribe you Arixtra for 21 days? It sure helped me, so maybe it can help you, too. Perhaps it's worth a try?
My veins are occluded with scarring. Not with blood clots. If you can imagine an incision from surgery like open heart surgery you get a scar. That scar is sometimes thick and raised. Vein bypass is my only hope.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

codefellow wrote:Wasn't there also a case a few years ago of a patient who's veins
I remember that....was it a stenosis seen on MRV but not there in the venogram? Or was it present in a venogram but not there in a second venogram?
codefellow
Family Elder

Post by codefellow »

Cece wrote:
codefellow wrote:Wasn't there also a case a few years ago of a patient who's veins
I remember that....was it a stenosis seen on MRV but not there in the venogram? Or was it present in a venogram but not there in a second venogram?
What I remember was so unusual about that case was that it was very carefully measured before and after by some very reliable equipment and very competent people. I don't remember how it was measured (I suspect MRV), but I do remember there was almost no chance of operator error.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Here we go, it was prof8:
www.thisisms.com/ftopict-10465.html

My guess now is that the MRV was accurate, there was stenosis in both jugulars in the usual area, and that it was missed on the venogram but would've been found on IVUS or by a more experienced operator (and in early 2010, they were all inexperienced). Maybe a septum or a windsock or that sort of thing. Or too much contrast used, which hid the issue.

(this is what made me think septum:
Dr.X showed me video of contrast dye flowing through the veins yesterday--if anything the previously blocked parts were now the widest part of the vein.
remember the funny-looking azygous that Dr. Sclafani posted, that looked a little like a snake that had swallowed a mouse, up at the arch of the azygous? It was wide there and it took ivus to find the issue.)