Makris - Chicago

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
anamishguy
Family Member

Re:

Post by anamishguy »

Donnchadh wrote:Dr. Makris is treating about 2 patients per week, yet only three have reported their results.

Anyone else treated by Dr. Makris willing to report their results?

Donnchadh
I was treated in March of 2011 by Dr. Makris and am doing well. I am interested to hear from anyone else who was treated by him.
Cece
Family Elder

Re:

Post by Cece »

npost999 wrote:Report says - Finding: The right internal jugular vein measures 13.1 mm in the J1 segment and 5.4 mm in the J2 segment, and failed to demonstrate reflux in the upright or supine position, and the cross sectional area is larger in the supine position consistent with a positive delta number. The right vertebral vein fails to demonstrate reflux in the upright or supine position. There is abnormality noted at the jugular valves, which is thickened. There is also no flow detectable within deep cerebral vein with exploration. These findings are consistent with 1/5 positive Zamboni criteria.

In the left, the jugular vein measures 7.7 mm in the J1 segment and 3.8 mm in the J2 segment. The jugular vein shows bidirectional flow in the upright and supine position. The deep cerebral veins fail to demonstrate any flow at exploration. The cross-sectional area at the jugular vein is larger in the supine position with a positive delta number. The vertebral veins failed to demonstrate any evidence of reflux. There is thickening of the valve on the left. These findings are consistent with 3/5 Zamboni criteria.
No flow within the deep cerebral vein. Abnormal right jugular valve, which is thickened. Left jugular is refluxing (bidirectional flow) when upright and when supine. No flow in the deep cerebral veins. An abnormal thickened jugular valve on the left.

Dr. Makris did not think this warranted another procedure?
npost999
Family Member

Re: Makris - Chicago

Post by npost999 »

he never said a word, but I know someone else who thinks it is worth a second look. After my 1 month follow up he didn't see a need in coming back for any additional follow up ultrasounds. I haven't spoken to him since that appointment and my condition has worsened the last 4 - 6 months with my mobility, spasticity and stiffness. My walking is by far the worst it has been since my first attack back in 1998 which didn't lead to a diagnosis at that time. I crossed the 10 year dx anniversary in September and I'm waiting to go back for another treatment, just hoping it won't be too late for me to see any positive improvements in my condition.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Makris - Chicago

Post by Cece »

The good thing is that the ultrasound report at 1 month does not mention any signs of clotting.
I actually don't know how to interpret what it said about no flow in the cerebral veins, because there must be flow there, right? The measurements of the jugular could be of note too, being quite small at J2 on both sides. The abnormal thickening of the valves mentioned on both sides sure catches my attention.
I hope you get that second look. Really sorry to hear that you have had a rough several months.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Insurance?

Post by Donnchadh »

anamishguy wrote:
Donnchadh wrote:Dr. Makris is treating about 2 patients per week, yet only three have reported their results.

Donnchadh
I was treated in March of 2011 by Dr. Makris and am doing well. I am interested to hear from anyone else who was treated by him.

Did you ever get the insurance nightmare settled? I am sorry to hear about some dissatisfied patients with Dr. Makris-I had high hopes the Midwest would have a viable choice for treatment.

However, the lady doing the ultrasound testing does a first rate job (she trained under Dr. Sclafani's ultrasound technician at Brooklyn).

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
npost999
Family Member

Re: Insurance?

Post by npost999 »

Donnchadh wrote: I am sorry to hear about some dissatisfied patients with Dr. Makris-I had high hopes the Midwest would have a viable choice for treatment.

However, the lady doing the ultrasound testing does a first rate job (she trained under Dr. Sclafani's ultrasound technician at Brooklyn).

Donnchadh

I am not dissatisfied by Dr. Makris, other than I more than likely was under-treated. But, I do not believe that he had done many procedures by the time I saw him last May & I have no clue how many more procedures he has performed since then. Everything else about the facility was great, especially the ultrasound tech. I'm sorry I cannot remember her name off the top of my head, but she was first rate and if I have to get follow ups in the future I'm going to her if possible.
anamishguy
Family Member

Re: Insurance?

Post by anamishguy »

Donnchadh wrote:
anamishguy wrote:

Donnchadh

Did you ever get the insurance nightmare settled? I am sorry to hear about some dissatisfied patients with Dr. Makris-I had high hopes the Midwest would have a viable choice for treatment.

Donnchadh
I had to pay out of pocket. Not happy about that, but hopefully the Insurance companies will change their ways before I will need another round of treatment. Hopefully that never happens, but it tis always in the back of my mind.
MarkW
Family Elder

IVUS by Dr Makris in Chicago ???

Post by MarkW »

Please let the forum know if Dr Makris uses IVUS or not.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 18063.html
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
npost999
Family Member

Re: IVUS by Dr Makris in Chicago ???

Post by npost999 »

MarkW wrote:Please let the forum know if Dr Makris uses IVUS or not.

MarkW
he did not with my procedure and if not mistaken he does not use it at all in his normal practice
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

npost999 wrote:
MarkW wrote:Please let the forum know if Dr Makris uses IVUS or not.

MarkW
he did not with my procedure and if not mistaken he does not use it at all in his normal practice
When I asked him about the possible use of IVUS, he said the corporate suits resisted the idea on cost considerations. If it was up to him, I think he would like to be able to use it.

I am becoming more and more convinced that Dr. Sclafani is correct about the usefulness of IVUS.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Donnchadh wrote:I am becoming more and more convinced that Dr. Sclafani is correct about the usefulness of IVUS.
There are two abstracts in support of this. (Dr. Sclafani's IVUS to be presented at SIR and the Italy abstract presented at CIRSE.)

But there is a learning curve to IVUS as well, and to its use in CCSVI, which is still being defined.

Interesting about the cost considerations. CCSVI treatment had its beginnings in hospitals but then was taken up by the clinics which have more freedom. One advantage though of hospitals is that they have the IVUS equipment already on hand. Research is more easily conducted in the hospitals.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”