Re open surgery treatments while suffering from S.M.:

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Rici
Family Elder

Re open surgery treatments while suffering from S.M.:

Post by Rici »

Hi
You have to take into account that wounds do not want to heal after an open surgery treatment if you took immunosuppressive drugs. Apart from my case there are still two other ones known to me where after an open surgery treatment on patients who as a result of having previously used those drugs their wounds would not heal: one lady friend that had a Caesarean section and a young boy with a leg surgery. Thus three cases with the open surgery treatment where the wounds would not heal at all. In my case I have a swollen JIV in the place which had been operated. The swelling while expanding diminished a diameter of my vein and by that keeps impeding blood outflow from the brain... A JIV diameter of 10 mm on the length of 3.3 cm contracted to only 4 mm! Two neuro-doctors of whom one is a professor had confirmed that fact to me: using the immunosuppressive drugs will obstruct healing of wounds... A skin will heal but under the skin the soft tissue will keep swelling. BE WARE having taken immunosuppressive drugs is to be reckoned WITH PROBLEMS. After the open surgery on JIV I enjoyed an improvement but then the operated tissue has swollen, hence, I feel like a Putnam's dog in 1935.

Regards
Rici
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Hello Ricci,

Sorry to hear you are felling like one of Putnam's Dogs with little to no flow. Was hoping by now you were in a serious mending phase.

It is difficult to read this forum and realize that some folks have tremendous gains right away and others immediate complications. Now with your case, we see that even with the Open Surgery post procedure, there are still more complications and unknowns.

If indeed having the immune suppressing drugs in your system when you have open surgery is to blame for not healing properly, then that explains how my sister died.

She had Rheumatoid Arthritis and took pain medication along with an immune suppressing drug. When they did an emergency appendectomy
her incision never healed and she got a staph infection in the open wound and literally boiled to death.

There is still a tremendous amount we need to learn about our own bodies and we as patients benefit from this type of dialogue.

Thank you Ricci for sharing your difficult journey, which obviously has not concluded.

Respectfully,
Lora
codefellow
Family Elder

Re: Re open surgery treatments while suffering from S.M.:

Post by codefellow »

Rici wrote:Hi
You have to take into account that wounds do not want to heal after an open surgery treatment if you took immunosuppressive drugs.

Regards
Rici
Rici, if you have not already heard of it, there is a product called Juven. My wife takes it for her bedsore. It helps to promote the healing of wounds.

Also for the bedsore the wound care clinic doctor recommends a daily Multivitamin, 500mg of Vitamin C morning and evening (total of 1000 mg) and 50mg of Zinc daily.

I do not know if these steps can overcome the anti-healing effect of the immunosuppressant drugs, but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

hi rici, i thought you were on the mend. i hate hearing this but thanks for being up front and letting peouple know these things. i hope you start to heal right.

so, what's the choice here? say the ones that are takeing these drugs and they know they will need open vein surgery, should they stop the drugs and get their immune systems built up as much as possible first? have these doctors suggested anything.
Rici
Family Elder

Re: Re open surgery treatments while suffering from S.M.:

Post by Rici »

codefellow wrote:
Rici wrote:Hi
You have to take into account that wounds do not want to heal after an open surgery treatment if you took immunosuppressive drugs.

Regards
Rici
Rici, if you have not already heard of it, there is a product called Juven. My wife takes it for her bedsore. It helps to promote the healing of wounds.

Also for the bedsore the wound care clinic doctor recommends a daily Multivitamin, 500mg of Vitamin C morning and evening (total of 1000 mg) and 50mg of Zinc daily.

I do not know if these steps can overcome the anti-healing effect of the immunosuppressant drugs, but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.
Hi Codefellow
Thank you. It's all bought and take!
Regards
Rici
Puma
Getting to Know You...

Post by Puma »

Hi Rici,

What are you intend to do konw? Are you going to wait till swelling go down itself ?

warm greetings Puma :twisted:
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I suppose I should be thankful that my doctors have refused me any DMDs on the basis I am progressive. I believe, however, that immunosuppression is dangerous.

The tysabri deaths from PML, a lot of them were initially thought to be related to immunosuppression. It is still contraindicated with tysabri, I think. Whether the recent hematoma death involved it or not, it is perhaps something that needs to be studied, once efficacy of venoplasty has been studied to death. We certainly cannot say, "don't stop taking those drugs, just don't do any venoplasty because you might not heal up properly".

That would be very convenient for drug vendors, but sounds a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. If I had said that, I would be dead from a heart attack (no stents), and even if I had lived I wouldn't have been able to have my gall bladder removed.

Would newer drugs like tysabri and fingolimod be among those you would think would stop surgeries from healing?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)