not for the jugular valvular incompetent....

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

not for the jugular valvular incompetent....

Postby Cece » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:28 pm

www.thepennyhoarder.com/2011/02/nasa-wi ... tay-in-bed

After the first 11-15-day period, participants will spend 60 days lying in bed, (except for limited times for specific tests) with their body slightly tilted downward (head down, feet up). Every day, they will be awake for 16 hours and lights out (asleep) for 8 hours. During the bed rest time they will also take part in a number of tests to find out changes in the state of their bone, muscle, heart and circulatory system, and nervous system, as well as their nutritional condition and their ability to fight off infections.”

This is not CCSVI research, it's astronaut research (but not on astronauts, on normal volunteers). It would be the worst thing for any of us...sixty days in a downwardly tilted bed!!
Cece
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: not for the jugular valvular incompetent....

Postby frodo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:02 am

Cece wrote:www.thepennyhoarder.com/2011/02/nasa-will-pay-you-5000month-to-stay-in-bed

After the first 11-15-day period, participants will spend 60 days lying in bed, (except for limited times for specific tests) with their body slightly tilted downward (head down, feet up). Every day, they will be awake for 16 hours and lights out (asleep) for 8 hours. During the bed rest time they will also take part in a number of tests to find out changes in the state of their bone, muscle, heart and circulatory system, and nervous system, as well as their nutritional condition and their ability to fight off infections.”

This is not CCSVI research, it's astronaut research (but not on astronauts, on normal volunteers). It would be the worst thing for any of us...sixty days in a downwardly tilted bed!!

Will they get a MRI after the experiment?
frodo
Family Elder

Postby David1949 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:14 am

Well my initial reaction was; wow I could get paid for lying down! I can do that. In fact I'm good at that. But the part about having my feet elevated was a stopper. Acid reflux would kill me in that position.
David1949
Family Elder

Postby DrCumming » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 am

that sounds like torture! yuck!
DrCumming
Family Elder

Postby Cece » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/89/5/769.full
Head‐down tilt is often used to improve cannulation of the IJV. Jugular diameter or CSA in adults increases on ultrasound, with varying degrees of tilt. Armstrong and colleagues demonstrated a rising lateral IJV diameter with 10, 20 and 30° of head‐down tilt, the greatest change (+14%) occurring between the supine and the 10° tilt position.2 In 15 patients during anaesthesia, mean right jugular CSA of 160 (86) mm2 when supine increased to 213 (112) mm2 with 10° tilt (relative increase +25%).6 CSA increased by 37% (from 118 to 162 mm2 during head‐down tilt) in ICU patients.3 Our finding of an approximately 36% increase therefore supports the data previously published.

The increase in CSA in the jugulars is because of reduced outflow due to the head-downward tilt.

This astronaut study seems like an approximation of what we experience in terms of outflow obstructions? I don't know if it would affect their brains in just 60 days. But it does not seem like a healthy thing to do. How do the researchers sleep at night....
Cece
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)