new no-findings CCSVI paper

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

new no-findings CCSVI paper

Post by Cece »

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 6/abstract
Proposed chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency criteria do not predict multiple sclerosis risk or severity

Diego Centonze MD1,2,*, Roberto Floris MD3, Matteo Stefanini MD3, Silvia Rossi MD1,2, Sebastiano Fabiano MD3, Maura Castelli MD1,2, Simone Marziali MD3, Alessio Spinelli MD3, Caterina Motta MD1,2, Francesco G. Garaci MD3, Giorgio Bernardi MD1,2, Giovanni Simonetti MD3
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2011

DOI: 10.1002/ana.22436

Objective:

It is still unclear whether chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) is associated with multiple sclerosis (MS), because substantial methodological differences have been claimed by Zamboni to account for the lack of results of other groups. Furthermore, the potential role of venous malformations in influencing MS severity has not been fully explored. This information is particularly relevant, because uncontrolled surgical procedures are increasingly offered to MS patients to treat their venous stenoses.

Methods:

In the present study, CCSVI was studied in 84 MS patients and in 56 healthy subjects by applying the Zamboni method for CCSVI identification.

Results:

We found no significant differences (p = 0.12) in CCSVI frequency between MS and control subjects. Furthermore, no differences were found between CCSVI-positive and CCSVI-negative patients in terms of relevant clinical variables such as disease duration, time between onset and first relapse, relapsing or progressive disease course, and risk of secondary progression course. Statistically significant differences were not found between CCSVI-positive and CCSVI-negative MS subjects by analyzing direct measures of disability such as mean Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) (p = 0.07), mean progression index (p > 0.1), and mean MS severity score (p > 0.1). The percentage of subjects who reached EDSS 4.0 and 6.0 milestones was not different among CCSVI-negative and CCSVI-positive subjects, and no significant correlation was found between severity of disability and number of positive CCSVI criteria.

Interpretation:

Our results indicate that CCSVI has no role in either MS risk or MS severity. Ann Neurol 2011
An abstract of research done by Dr. Centonze of Tor Vengata University in Rome.
It is still unclear whether chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) is associated with multiple sclerosis (MS), because substantial methodological differences have been claimed by Zamboni to account for the lack of results of other groups.
We need a list (or a meta-analysis). Last year at ECTRIMS ten out of fourteen studies showed an association between CCSVI and MS. The Beirut study showed a definite association between advanced MS and CCSVI (12 out of 13). BNAC's work has strongly showed an association. This reads as if Dr. Zamboni's research is standing all alone when it is not.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I agree. I think one should be performed. But even if one is, there will never be acceptance even of appropriate methods and tools, as long as this petulant public contradiction, and war of words goes on in the academic press and popular media. Some agreement has to be reached on an uninvolved, unbiased, independent third party and a set of tools and methods acceptable to the scientific and medical communities. That doesn't sound like a slam dunk to me, particularly as some don't even accept Doppler ultrasound as conclusive.

Should sick people just stay sick until all these belligerents get a grip? I don't think anyone is going to be happy with that.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)