Getting to know your internal jugular vein too....

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Getting to know your internal jugular vein too....

Post by Cece »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_jugular_vein
It should also be noted that cuts or abrasions in the skin near the jugular vein will bleed longer and more profusely (i.e from chewing tobacco or shaving accidents). Since 95% of the body's blood passes through this vein, it takes on average about 30 minutes to fully stop a shaving abrasion on the face.
95% of the body's blood passes through the IJV! Is that true?
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

it never took 30 min for my peach fuzz shaving cuts to stop bleeding
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

But that wouldn't be expected, for us, because with CCSVI it can be assumed that our IJVs are not carrying 95% of the body's blood flow but some smaller fraction, due to the blockages.

Perhaps length of healing time of peach fuzz cuts near the jugular is an indicator of how stenosed our jugulars are?

If there really was something to this, it could be measured before and after the procedure and then tested if restenosis is suspected. If healing time had returned to pre-procedure levels (aka was fast and had been slower post-procedure), then that would be a cheap indicator of restenosis.

It might be a stretch. It's all based on a quote from wikipedia too. But it's a new angle.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Getting to know your internal jugular vein too...

Post by NHE »

Cece wrote:But that wouldn't be expected, for us, because with CCSVI it can be assumed that our IJVs are not carrying 95% of the body's blood flow but some smaller fraction, due to the blockages.

Perhaps length of healing time of peach fuzz cuts near the jugular is an indicator of how stenosed our jugulars are?

If there really was something to this, it could be measured before and after the procedure and then tested if restenosis is suspected. If healing time had returned to pre-procedure levels (aka was fast and had been slower post-procedure), then that would be a cheap indicator of restenosis.

It might be a stretch. It's all based on a quote from wikipedia too. But it's a new angle.
I find it hard to imagine how a small, shallow skin cut could be affected by the IJV.

NHE
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Re: Getting to know your internal jugular vein too...

Post by HappyPoet »

NHE wrote:
Cece wrote:But that wouldn't be expected, for us, because with CCSVI it can be assumed that our IJVs are not carrying 95% of the body's blood flow but some smaller fraction, due to the blockages.

I find it hard to imagine how a small, shallow skin cut could be affected by the IJV.

NHE
Civic, thanks! -- a small, shallow facial cut is actually very interesting as related to venous anatomy.

NHE, I agree with you.

Arteries are usually deeper than veins which means that most small, shallow facial skin cuts would not be to an artery but would be to one of the Facial Veins which drain directly into the External Jugular Veins (EJVs).

So the EJVs, which drain directly into the Brachiocephalic Vein, explain a major portion of the 5% of blood that doesn't use the IJVs. The Vertebral Veins also drain directly into the Brachiocephalic Vein and would explain another major portion of the 5%. The IJVs do not affect a small, shallow facial skin cut nor vice-versa.

Yes? No? Maybe? Sometimes? Always? Never? Some of the above? All of the above? None of the above?
Last edited by HappyPoet on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

wasnt there a thread posted couple days ago about vein limits which contradicted that 95%
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

civickiller wrote:wasnt there a thread posted couple days ago about vein limits which contradicted that 95%
Civic, if you happen to find that thread, please let us know, thx. :)
(btw, I edited my post above just before you posted, so you might want to check it again.)
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

This area gets more mysterious to me all the time. I have heard several opinions. Is there no authority to appeal to that has reference studies?

What is the distribution expected for"normal" people?

IJV, % of blood, standing: --- ??
IJV, % of blood, lying down: --- ??
VV,, % of blood, standing: --- ??
VV, % of blood, lying down: --- ??
EJV, % of blood, standing: --- ??
EJV. % of blood, lying down: --- ??
otherneckV, % of blood, standing: --- ??
otherneckV. % of blood, lying down: --- ??

is this too much to ask?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Getting to know your internal jugular vein too....

Post by Cece »

The first post had the Wikipedia article on the IJV. Here's a nice spinnable model of the IJV.
http://www.healthline.com/human-body-ma ... r-vein#4/4