Common knowledge about MS that turns out not to be true

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Common knowledge about MS that turns out not to be true

Post by Cece »

I ran across this. It has been common knowledge in the MS world that Caucasians are more likely to get MS and African Americans less likely but that it's a worse disease when they do get it.

These results, though, show that MS incidence is higher in African Americans than in Caucasians!
MS incidence higher in African Americans
April 15, 2011

REPORT FROM THE 63rd ANNUAL MEETING OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY (AAN), HONOLULU, HAWAII, APRIL 9-16, 2011 - MS is generally described as a disease that primarily affects Caucasians, however, a new study from southern California suggests that the incidence is higher in African Americans than in other racial/ethnic groups (Langer-Gould et al. AAN 2011; abstract P06.032).

A database analysis for the period 2007-2009 identified 607 newly-diagnosed MS cases that met McDonald criteria. The racial/ethnic distribution was 50% Caucasian, 20% African American, 24.5% Hispanic, 2% Asian, and 3.5% other. The MS incidence per 100,000 person-years was 17.7 for African Americans, 12.3 for Caucasians, 4.8 for Hispanics and 1.5 for Asians.

The authors concluded that these findings do not support the belief that African Americans are at lower risk of developing MS. Early recognition and treatment is important due to the severity of MS in this group. Compared to Caucasians, African Americans with MS demonstrate more extensive tissue damage, greater symptom severity, a more rapid disease course and a greater accumulation of disabilities (Weinstock-Guttman et al. Neurology 2010; 74: 538-544; Naismith et al. Mult Scler 2006; 12: 775-781; Kister et al. Neurology 2010; 75: 217-223; Marrie et al. Neurology 2006; 66: 1235-1240).

To date, only one study has been published on the effectiveness of disease-modifying treatment in African Americans. A post-hoc analysis of the EVIDENCE (Evidence of Interferon Dose-Response: European North American Comparative Efficacy) trial comparing Rebif and Avonex reported that African Americans (n=36) appeared to be less responsive to beta-interferons (Cree et al. Arch Neurol 2005; 62: 1681-1683). African Americans experienced more relapses, were less likely to be relapse-free, and developed more new T2 lesions in that analysis, however, only T2 lesion count reached statistical significance.
http://neuro-sens.com/congress-news/3-g ... -americans

CCSVI theory is asked to explain the epidemiological differences in MS but that is a challenge if they haven't even got the epidemiological differences right!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Very important point, Cece! Good find.

UCSF has a genetics study ongoing, and this is their current view---
Multiple Sclerosis is a recognized disorder of African Americans, but the problem of MS in this community has not been adequately addressed since members of this group are thought to develop the disease less frequently than European Americans. The most recent studies estimate that African Americans have a less than 50% relative risk of developing MS compared to individuals of primarily Northern European descent. Knowledge of ancestry is important in research studying diseases that behave differently in different ethnic groups. In fact, the study of populations with unique clinical, demographic, and/or historic characteristics has been shown to be extraordinarily informative in deciphering the genetics of cancer and other complex diseases, including MS.
http://neurology.ucsf.edu/msdb/research ... anAmerican

This is especially important, since the big Compston genetic study of MS looked at ONLY those of northern European heritage in northern European countries. No Africa, Egypt, Kuwait, Israel, etc.
In Kuwait, MS rates are soaring.
link
MS is no longer a Caucasian persons' disease.
Could western diets (saturated fats, high glucose) and lifestyle (less time outside, low vitamin D, less physical activity) be contributing to higher levels of endothelial dysfunction/heightened affects of venous malformations? More research ahead--
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

Good point.

In fact, most of the reported MS incidence characteristics come from small unblinded trials, like the higher prevalence in the north (which I have never seen corrected for racial distribution) or the reported movement of the prevalence with migrations. Probably these and other incidence reports should be taken carefully.
MarkW
Family Elder

Walker Theory Of Multiple Sclerosis's Genesis

Post by MarkW »

I have long believed that Vit D3 is a crucial factor in gene activation which provokes MS. CCSVI is one of the multifactors along the way. MS is a post industrial revolution (1800s in UK) disease. It would be interesting to consider the incidence in African Americans in northen USA and rural Africans, along with Scots in Scotland and Scots who migrated to northern Australia. The core data is out there, it needs analysing in a different way.

Enough thinking for today. I'm off to the pool.

MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I think most African Americans are part caucasian. It would be interesting to see a study of Africans who do not have caucasian ancestry. I don't know where you would find that outside of Africa. But in Africa there would be other factors like diet and exposure to sunlight that would confound the analysis.

It is interesting though that the incidence for African Americans is somewhat higher than for caucasians.
fee001
Family Elder

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

I think it is due to how Westernised a country is, modern day stresses etc incidences will be lower in Eastern or poor countries, as they deal with stress in a very different way.

More relaxed lifestyles in more chilled out countries or regions too will have fewer cases.

Again just my take on it
I do my own research, and find my own answers Its good to talk
Thekla
Family Elder

Post by Thekla »

I really think that vit D3 is a vital part of this. When you consider the high incidence of vit D3 deficiency in African Americans, particularly noticeable in educated breast-feeding moms, there has to be wide spread deficiency throughout the population. Perhaps not as obvious when there aren't broken bones, but not without consequences.
fee001
Family Elder

Post by fee001 »

Thekla

Candida causes all kind of vitamin deficiencies including vit d I think,

My brain is drained today. Apparently a large number of Americans have got it but just dont know it.

Candida existance shud be made public knowledge, I so hope it does.

Fiona
jossi

Post by jossi »

I think you have to read this: http://www.hdfoster.com/publications.
Everything you have to know about m.s./disease is on the internet. Just READ.
Don't follow the medical world: that is just nothing, a shame . Just pharmaceuticals = money, and terrible.

Jossi
jossi

Post by jossi »

I mean this one:
[PDF] What Really Causes Multiple Sclerosis - Harold Foster Foundation

Jossi
fee001
Family Elder

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

I cant access pdf files as my cookies are disabled apparently (computer speak)

Fiona
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Beware of people claiming to know the cause of MS! What relationship does the claim have with existing theories? Known facts? The skeptic's hat may be protective gear here.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
jossi

Post by jossi »

Please read. That's all I have to say. No solutions, just opinions and scientific facts.
I"ll say no more. Do what you want, believe etc.

Jossi
fee001
Family Elder

Post by fee001 »

Hey

Info is good, we are capable of weighing things up, if its free no obligation info I'm interested.

If money or personal details are needed, then they can do one.

Its healthy to explore alternatives. nothing wrong in it at all, looking outside the ms box is good.

Thats just my opinion, yes there is an awful lot of rubbish out there but we learn to avoid it. There is also a lot of stuff that makes sense to eh!

So thanx

Fiona
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

David1949 wrote:I think most African Americans are part caucasian.
Thekla wrote:When you consider the high incidence of vit D3 deficiency in African Americans, particularly noticeable in educated breast-feeding moms, there has to be wide spread deficiency throughout the population.
These both jumped out at me, as did Cheer's quote showing that the UCSF researchers consider African Americans to have a rate of MS that is half that of Caucasians, which is at odds with the new research.

My own instinct at the thought that African Americans had a lower incidence of MS but a worse disease course has been that those with mild MS were going undiagnosed. This would have allowed both for the lower incidence, because some people with MS wouldn't know it and would not be getting counted, and the worse disease course, because those who did get counted were those with more severe MS. Thoughts for why some African Americans with MS might slip detection of that MS would be if as a group there are differences in the degree of insurance coverage or socioeconomical differences that reduce access to good health care.

I just looked for anything to support this thought and came up with this:
Socioeconomic status and race/ethnicity have been associated with avoidable procedures, avoidable hospitalizations, and untreated disease (Fiscella, Franks, Gold, & Clancy, 2008).
http://www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/pub ... t-erm.aspx