Dr. Sandy McDonald Responds to University of Calgary

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Kleiner
Family Member

Dr. Sandy McDonald Responds to University of Calgary

Post by Kleiner »

dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I was contacted by CTV about this study.
WHAT study?????? 5 people IS NOT a study!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

A new University of Calgary study documenting complications in patients who have undergone treatment for CCSVI amounts to little more than fear-mongering. The researchers looked at potential complications in five patients who were treated with angioplasty in Eastern Europe. However, they appear to have no information about the circumstances of the actual procedures. Were the people doing the surgery well trained? We have no idea. We don’t know what they did, or what happened during the procedure.

It’s estimated that more than 12,000 people have been treated for CCSVI worldwide. There has been no data collection on either outcomes or complications, so to focus on complications for five patients is fear-mongering.

No surgery is without risk. But it is irresponsible to attribute complications to a procedure when we don’t have complete information. For example, the University of Calgary researchers make the assumption that a stent has migrated in one patient, but there is no proof of where the stent was originally placed.

What the Calgary researchers did was to look at five people. What they didn’t do was to conduct a trial that investigates the safety of angioplasty. In fact, such a trial has already been done, by interventional radiologists at the Albany Medical Center in Albany, NY. Their study, released in March 2011, followed 231 patients. “Our results show that such treatment is safe when performed in the hospital or on an outpatient basis — with 97 percent treated without incident,” said Kenneth Mandato, who led the research.

People with CCSVI who choose to be surgically treated should have access to well-trained, experienced doctors and full information about the potential risks and benefits of the procedure. Randomized, controlled double-blind studies need to be done to assess the efficacy and potential risks of this treatment.

Sandy McDonald MD

Cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon

Barrie, Ont.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Neurologists hit new lows. Pathetic in my opinion. I will meet Drs. McDonald (Code, Haake, Kirsty Duncan) in Sidney this September.

They used to call Economics the "dismal science". I think that neurology could now assume this title. The purveyors FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt). They think they control MS Clinics/Society. Not for long. When I read an article like this I simply want to pull the pin (grenade) and throw it back. I sincerely hope more such articles are written. I thought that only the brightest med-school students got into neuro school?
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Dr. George Christakis is one of our Scientific Advisors, an Associate Scientist at Sunnybrook with Cardiac & Vascular Surgery.

Here's his comment on the Calgary complications story from CTV.

"You have to realize that there are complications with stents no matter where they are used. People drop dead of heart attacks when their stents in their hearts suddenly block off. You dont see cardiologists stop doing the procedure. The problem is everyone is quoting empirical data and trying to prove something (whether it is positive or negative). The only sure way of identifying effectiveness is through a prospective randomized trial."
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

People with CCSVI who choose to be surgically treated should have access to well-trained, experienced doctors and full information about the potential risks and benefits of the procedure. Randomized, controlled double-blind studies need to be done to assess the efficacy and potential risks of this treatment.
The strategy being used to maximize profits from pre-existing treatments is to deny. delay, defer, detract, deflect, delude and deceive. Keep telling the truth. If they studied it, they might learn something, and we couldn't have that.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

1eye wrote: The strategy being used to maximize profits from pre-existing treatments is to deny. delay, defer, detract, deflect, delude and deceive. Keep telling the truth. If they studied it, they might learn something, and we couldn't have that.
Terrific! :D
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

confirms the notion that Calgary is the home of ignorance and bad science in Canada. Debating ccsvi with these folks is one thing but debating global warming is really funny. We're talking the province that spews enough carbon into the air that as a citizen of BC my footprint is about 15 tons a year but as a canadian (including alberta) Im at over 30 tons. No wonder there were protests in front of the whit house last week.
George Bush would live in Alberta if he was Canadian.
Embarrassing.
port-man

Post by port-man »

bilmeik- what on earth does your bias on global warming have to do with ccsvi? I live in Calgary and your rash, unsubstantiated, generalization directed towards people who live here is offensive. The study was penned by 5 people who live in Calgary. What if you discovered that one of the 5 was originally from B.C., would that then reflect the character of all citizens of the West Coast?
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

MS patients cling to hope

It’s a very slim chance — about 1.4 in one million, to be exact — but having your wisdom teeth pulled under general anesthetic can kill you.

- commentary on Calgary article

http://tinyurl.com/3zhxcd4
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

My bias on ccsvi is that I'm in California 3 days after liberation, in a hotel room waiting a couple days before i fly. Seeing some remarkable improvements, (it's like I had a new bladder installed) sleeping deeply which seems to be fixing my numb hand... this is incredible.
Apologies for generalizations.Racism,sexism, and albertaism are all bad.
It's important though,that people stand up and say "this is working" and any other truths that albertans find it difficult to hear.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Billmeik,

Hahahaha Did you get one big "cocktail" for your surgery?? What rubbish. Most of the neurologists across "Canada" are against this treatment not just in Calgary/Alberta. As far as I know most Albertans are in favor of this surgery and saying so. Although I saw no improvement thus far - almost one year out - I still believe in this treatment.

As for your rant about Alberta's carbon footprint - please check your facts. Do you believe everything in the media? What about all the oilfields in Northern B.C. - accumulated they are huge, the pulp and paper mills, the coal mines, the sea ports, etc?? The new innovations being deployed in Alberta's oilfields are greatly reducing Alberta's carbon footprint

How did you get to California - hot air balloon?

Also, I am originally from B.C. and still have MANY relatives there. No ifs, ands or buts - they don't care where I live, they just want me to get better.

Take care and have a safe trip home. Nice to hear of your improvements.
lovebug
Family Elder

Post by lovebug »

Hey MUSIC you and I will be sharing our one year anniversary soon since our CCSVI surgery in California. Although I to have not shown any improvements I still believe, like yourself, in this treatment. Friends always.............. Excellent point made toward BILLMEIK.......
KateCW
Family Elder

Post by KateCW »

You say you have shown no improvement, but would you say you have remained stable?

I am wondering how you can believe in something that has not helped you unless you ar seeing other benefits.....
Kathy, 49 with PPMS,full time scooter.
Married to a wonderful man, mother to a darling 9 yr old boy
Thekla
Family Elder

Post by Thekla »

I have had only modest improvements since being treated but I absolutely believe in this treatment because it just makes sense. It is not reasonable that 80%+ blockages in the veins draining the brain have no consequences. I also suspect that many people have been only partially treated, especially those in the beginning. There has been much learned in this and there is much yet to be learned.

I wish my legs were responding but mentally, I feel totally normal. My bladder has improved some too. But, I am not a zombie anymore. I do things.