making the rounds

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
1eye
Family Elder

making the rounds

Post by 1eye »

I see the word periplaque as synonymous with perivenous.
Ann Neurol. 1994 Jan;35(1):89-97.
Expression of immunologically relevant endothelial cell activation antigens on isolated central nervous system microvessels from patients with multiple sclerosis.
Washington R, Burton J, Todd RF 3rd, Newman W, Dragovic L, Dore-Duffy P.
Source

Wayne State University Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Research Center, Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201.
Abstract

Activation of the vascular endothelium is thought to be an important facet of inflammation, thrombosis, and vasculitis. Activated endothelial cells express a number of immunologically relevant surface markers not expressed by normal endothelial cells. Many of these surface antigens are thought to augment adhesion reactions and migration. Our results show that endothelial activation may play a central role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS). Normal human central nervous system microvessels isolated from autopsy material do not express endothelial cell activation markers, including the adhesion proteins vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) and endothelial cell leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 (E-selectin/ELAM-1). They exhibit little to no constitutive expression of immunoreactive intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) or the urokinase plasminogen activator receptor. Control microvessels exhibit no major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II antigen. MS microvessels express significant levels of MHC class II antigens, ICAM-1, VCAM-1, and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor. E-selectin was expressed by 3 of 5 MS brains tested. Histologically unaffected areas of MS brain expressed less VCAM-1, ICAM-1, and E-selectin than did microvessels from periplaque zones. However, MHC class II antigens and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor were increased in areas exhibiting little to no evidence of leukocyte infiltration. When microvessels were examined for dual expression of activation markers, we found that in periplaque areas, 50% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and VCAM-1, 28% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor, and 43% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and ICAM-1.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Jugular
Family Elder

Re: making the rounds

Post by Jugular »

Activation of the vascular endothelium is thought to be an important facet of inflammation, thrombosis, and vasculitis. Activated endothelial cells express a number of immunologically relevant surface markers not expressed by normal endothelial cells. Many of these surface antigens are thought to augment adhesion reactions and migration. Our results show that endothelial activation may play a central role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS).
At the level of the microcirculation, dysfunction of microvessels is observed, characterized by an increase in capillary permeability followed by skin changes. The earliest manifestation of microcirculatory disorder is edema. At this level, Daflon 500 mg acts favorably on microcirculatory complications by normalizing the synthesis of prostaglandins and free radicals. It decreases bradykinin-induced microvascular leakage and inhibits leukocyte activation, trapping, and migration.
Hmmmm.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Jugular wrote:
Activation of the vascular endothelium is thought to be an important facet of inflammation, thrombosis, and vasculitis. Activated endothelial cells express a number of immunologically relevant surface markers not expressed by normal endothelial cells. Many of these surface antigens are thought to augment adhesion reactions and migration. Our results show that endothelial activation may play a central role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS).
At the level of the microcirculation, dysfunction of microvessels is observed, characterized by an increase in capillary permeability followed by skin changes. The earliest manifestation of microcirculatory disorder is edema. At this level, Daflon 500 mg acts favorably on microcirculatory complications by normalizing the synthesis of prostaglandins and free radicals. It decreases bradykinin-induced microvascular leakage and inhibits leukocyte activation, trapping, and migration.
Hmmmm.
Funny, cause it seems to be helping me fight a foot infection I've had since July... Maybe this isn't going to inhibit normal immune function.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

1eye wrote:MS microvessels express significant levels of MHC class II antigens, ICAM-1, VCAM-1, and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor. E-selectin was expressed by 3 of 5 MS brains tested. Histologically unaffected areas of MS brain expressed less VCAM-1, ICAM-1, and E-selectin than did microvessels from periplaque zones. However, MHC class II antigens and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor were increased in areas exhibiting little to no evidence of leukocyte infiltration. When microvessels were examined for dual expression of activation markers, we found that in periplaque areas, 50% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and VCAM-1, 28% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor, and 43% of microvessels coexpressed HLA-DR and ICAM-1.
Jugular wrote:
Hmmmm.
At the microcirculation level, DAFLON 500 mg reduces capillary hyperpermeability and increases capillary resistance by protecting the microcirculation from damaging processes. DAFLON 500 mg reduces the expression of endothelial adhesion molecules (ICAM1, VCAM1), and inhibits the adhesion, migration, and activation of leukocytes at the capillary level. This leads to a reduction in the release of inflammatory mediators, principally oxygen free radicals and prostaglandins (PGE2, PGF2).
HMMMM!
Last edited by HappyPoet on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

1eye wrote:Funny, cause it seems to be helping me fight a foot infection I've had since July... Maybe this isn't going to inhibit normal immune function.
1eye, does this comment mean that you're taking Daflon?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

No, just the supplement version. I got it before I heard about the French source, but it seems to be helping my foot. Weird. eh?
Not a doctor.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

1eye, I think it's wonderful that your supplement is helping your foot to heal, but I can understand why a guy would say "weird" instead of "wonderful." :wink:
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

HappyPoet, please consider editing your above post. In that context "Hmmmm" should clearly be in ALLCAPS followed by an exclamation mark. Previously the issue was whether a substance proven to improve CVI might be of benefit in treating CCSVI coupled with the persistent question of whether treating CCSVI might benefit pwMS. 1eye's little find might gives us a model upon which to found a favourable answer to both.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I'm unsure what micronization actually is. I don't accept any credit for finding anything... Can't find my glasses... oh, they're on my head: never mind. 8O :smile:
Not a doctor.
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

1eye wrote:I'm unsure what micronization actually is.
I experience this when I go swimming.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Micronized
By David Fisher, About.com Guide

Definition: A substance is micronized if it is ground or pulverized into particles that are just a few "microns" in diameter.

Translation: really small particles! You'll see this most often referred to with oatmeal that is super finely ground before it's put into a shampoo or soap. But you could also micronize chamomile, flower petals or any other dry additive.

Also Known As: You may also see super finely ground oatmeal referred to as "colloidal" - which basically means super fine and evenly dispersed in a solution.

Examples:
My soap has micronized oatmeal in it.
I added colloidal oatmeal to my lotion.

Mi·cron /ˈmaɪkrɒn/
noun, plural -crons, -cra  /-krə/
1. Also called micrometer. the millionth part of a meter. Symbol: μ, mu
2. Physical Chemistry . a colloidal particle whose diameter is between 0.2 and 10 microns.
3. Physics . a very small unit of pressure, equal to that exerted by a column of mercury 1μ high.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/micron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jugular, lol, I just got that!

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”