Ever been asked to strip to your underwear for a Neuro Exam?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Ever been asked to strip to your underwear for a Neuro Exam?

Post by CuriousRobot »

Happened only once. Very weird. Had the idea in the back of my mind of what the Nazis did to the Jews in order to quell any insubordination during their extermination and felt it was not dissimilar. This was with a testy neurologist whom did not believe CCSVI actually benefited MS patients. Also, neurologist was condescending throughout examination.
munchkin
Family Elder

Re: Ever been asked to strip to your underwear for a Neuro E

Post by munchkin »

That must have been extremely uncomfortable. I've never been asked that, have gotten the attitude though.

Do you have to see this neuro again?
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

munchkin wrote:That must have been extremely uncomfortable. I've never been asked that, have gotten the attitude though.

Do you have to see this neuro again?
No, I do not. Thankfully, it was only for a second opinion. It's alarming, though, considering he heads a very large clinic.
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

It is so frustrating that there is this attitude among the neuro's. Depending on the individual situation they can have a fair bit of control over disability benefits, prescriptions, and such.

Thankfully this is not a Dr that you must deal with all the time. Is your regular neuro decent? Is it possible to mention this to your other Dr or does that just make things worse?
Boreas
Family Member

Post by Boreas »

Know what you mean and yes! some neurologists can be a real pain in the ass sometimes - but don't you think your Nazi-Jew-Neurologist analogy might be a wee bit disproportionate?
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

CuriousRobot wrote:Happened only once. Very weird. Had the idea in the back of my mind of what the Nazis did to the Jews in order to quell any insubordination during their extermination and felt it was not dissimilar. This was with a testy neurologist whom did not believe CCSVI actually benefited MS patients. Also, neurologist was condescending throughout examination.
The Nazis did to the Jews??? Anyway ...I think any time a doctor asks their patients to remove clothing it makes us feel that we are in a vulnerable and possibly, depending on how you feel about your body, a humiliating positon so I think your feelings were pretty normal. I will tell you the last time I was asked to strip down to my birthday suit by my family doctor I was a real handful for him. NO pun intended of course. :oops:
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Boreas wrote:Know what you mean and yes! some neurologists can be a real pain in the ass sometimes - but don't you think your Nazi-Jew-Neurologist analogy might be a wee bit disproportionate?
No, because I wasn't attributing that analogy to all neurologists, but just to this one occasion. It may seem extreme, at first glance, but it's how I felt at the time. I felt as if I was under attack, considering his condescension throughout the said exam, as well. I have had a lot of neurological exams, but I simply cannot understand why a neurologist must see his patient unclothed in order to examine them.
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

"I think any time a doctor asks their patients to remove clothing it makes us feel that we are in a vulnerable and possibly, depending on how you feel about your body, a humiliating positon "

which is exactly what they want . i was asked in '94 and it always bugged me. the time i him was on the local CBC radio station (feb. 2010) talking against CCSVI and he was very condecending.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I've never been asked that. It does not seem necessary and, yes, it has psychological impact, although I'd like to assume that's not the intention.
CindyCB
Family Member

Post by CindyCB »

Yes, I have been asked to strip for a neuro exam - it didn't really bother me too much because of the nature of my symptoms I felt I was being more carefully and thoroughly examined at that time, plus I liked the neuro so didn't see anything wrong in it.

I've also had to strip for a rheumatology exam too, but I think that's more common. I've had a few other procedures in recent years that have had me in several states of undress - I have no shame any more!

Maybe my doctors just like seeing me in my undies?? :oops:
Thyroid disease, Vitamin D deficiency, hypermobility, 'ME/CFS', CCSVI (stenosis both sides and assymetric malformed valves), TMJ - No MS but many neuro symptoms.
IHateMS
Family Elder

Post by IHateMS »

get over it already... neuro needs to see muscle tone, etc.

i have seen about six/eight neuros in my 13 years of ms...... half asked me to strip to underwear...

i was seeing urologists for a problem.... felt i didn't get my money's worth unless i got rectal exam :lol: :lol:
Gardenia
Family Member

Post by Gardenia »

This has never, ever occurred. They don't need to do this. Sorry but sounds like ae bit of a pervert.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

Time out. Why in sam hell would a neuro have one remove anything but shoes and socks? The next time your neuro makes such a request turn around yank down your pants and blow a smelly ass fart at him.
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

Worrying about removing clothes for an exam is the last thing I worry about. :roll:
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

At the very least you should ask him why he wants you to do that. Possibly you should find a new neuro.