Genetic identif. of antigens exposed in damaged endothelial

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Genetic identif. of antigens exposed in damaged endothelial

Post by Cece »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1904960/
Genetic identification of antigens exposed in damaged endothelial cells as laminin-binding proteins

D C Ireland, E L Spring, E Moiseeva, and D P De Bono

Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Leicester Clinical Sciences Wing, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, UK

Accepted January 6, 1998.

Abstract

A monoclonal antibody, D5G2, which reacts in a balloon angioplasty damage model with unfixed damaged but not with unfixed undamaged human endothelial cells, was used to screen a human endothelial cDNA library in an Escherichia coli/λ gt11 expression system. Sequences of DNA inserts in D5G2+ phage clones matched those reported for a laminin-binding protein, LBP-32. Both D5G2 and purified laminin bound to a polypeptide of 55 kD on PVDF membranes carrying electrophoretically separated endothelial cell lysates, D5G2 also bound to recombinant LBP expressed in E. coli, and showed similar staining patterns on human and bovine endothelial cells to another characterized anti-LBP antibody. Increased staining of unfixed endothelial cells on detergent permeabilization suggests that D5G2 binds to intracellular laminin-binding protein made accessible by cell membrane injury. Antibodies to intracellular targets exposed by cell damage may be useful in anchoring therapeutic agents at sites of vascular damage.
This seems smart. And it would be nice if things like this were in the pharma pipeline for interventional radiology needs. This is from 1998.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Genetic identif. of antigens exposed in damaged endothel

Post by 1eye »

I worry a bit that healthy valves that should be there might be damaged by a catheter. Does that ever happen? Valves are an integral part of the circulation, mainly found in veins.

Anyway it might be good to have something that helps the veins heal after we mess with them.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)