Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) Feedback Request

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) Feedback Request

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

Hello everyone

I have just uploaded an instructional video which shows how to convert a wooden framed bed (ours) for inclined bed therapy.
Hopefully this video will help you to make the changes to your own bed without breaking the bank. Ours cost £11 to convert :)

Some years have past since introducing people with ms at TIMS to IBT, where one raises the head end of the bed 6-8 inches to afford a tiled but level sleeping posture around five degrees to the horizontal.

IBT was first tested when my wife and I experimented with avoiding sleeping flat to see if my theory about circulation in trees was also applicable to human and animal physiology. When my wife's varicose vein went from bulging and aching to flat and painless in 4 weeks, I knew that we were on the right track and that more people would be required to test IBT to see what other affects on health could be achieved by avoiding a flat bed.

Here on Tims the theory was received well and a number of you have tested IBT for yourselves to see if the theory held water (more information about theory: http://inclinedbedtherapy.com )

Unfortunately, the IBT threads that contain the discussions and reports have become diluted by the interest in CCSVI, so I set up a forum on my home page and invited everyone trialling IBT to copy and paste their reports from TIMS so that the data would become easier to follow.

Only A few people managed to provide a copy of their feedback so having waited patiently for a year now, I feel we have a lot more to learn from everyone testing IBT and hope that this third request for feedback will initiate a more proactive response.

We all need to know what the longer term effects of IBT are and as I have never asked anyone for anything else other than the medical profession who by all accounts are now advising patients with ms to sleep inclined, should conduct a controlled / double cross over study to determine whether there is sufficient merit in this non invasive postural approach..

If your partner shares the same tilted bed, how has it affected his/her health? Answers to these sorts of questions are what led on to discovering how IBT can help people with other conditions.

I strongly feel that having invested 17 years of my life helping people without asking for anything other than feedback and a little help with publicity to reach even more people, the very least we can all do is to consolidate the data so that more people can find it and hope that the medical profession will act upon these results and test it for themselves.

The physiology literature states that gravity acts equally on both the venous return and arterial flow. The fact that varicose veins deflate when the bed is tilted proves that this is not the case! Density changes in capillary blood through evaporation from the respiratory tract, skin, hair and tear ducts MUST occur, it is impossible to evaporate water from a fluid that contains salts and sugars without altering the density! Any density change no matter how small will affect circulation! And our posture in relation to the direction of gravity is of paramount importance to making use of density changes!

To post in the forum you will need to register an account and if you have any difficulties, contact me and I will do my best to help.

Best wishes
Andrew

Tel: +44 1803524117 Email: thinklateral@hotmail.com
Experiment showing how gravity acts on dissolved salts and sugars in soft walled tubes, designed to represent arterial and venous flow. :
Video showing how IBT helps people with neurological conditions:

Last edited by AndrewKFletcher on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Re: Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) Feedback Request

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Andrew, I am too week and too fatigued to post something.
I still sleep 11 cm inclined. I still have headaches and all my old problems.
My vision is too week to be able to read exactly what is written here. Sorry :-(
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Hello Erika, sorry to hear about your current health problems.

May I ask why you opted for 11cm incline as opposed to 15 cm?
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

AndrewKFletcher wrote:Hello Erika, sorry to hear about your current health problems.

May I ask why you opted for 11cm incline as opposed to 15 cm?
My spina bifida was killing me. I almost couldn´t start to walk in the morning because of pain in my legs. Since I went to 11 cm the strong pain is gone.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Erika, it appears, from your response that spina bifida does not respond to IBT. It was worth a shot and I am grateful that you gave the therapy a fair trial.

If I can be of more assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours

Andrew
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Andrew. I've been sleeping with the head of my bed elevated 4 inches for many years to reduce my acid reflux problems. IBT certainly helps with that. I increased the elevation to 6" about 1 or 2 years ago. I don't think it has helped my MS.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Hi David, thanks for responding and sorry to hear that IBT has not helped you.

Trying to get my head around the reason that you have not gained any benefits from this therapy and would like to ask do you live in an area of high humidity? I.E a river valley area, a damp home, or a coastal zone?

Best wishes

Andrew
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Dear Andrew,
I have decided to go flat after more than 2 years. Pain in my neck was so bad. I have been having problems also with my C and Th spine from my childhood. A chiropractor fixed it last week. I do not know when and if I tilt my bed again as the neckpain is almost gone with flat bad. I am sorry I make so many complications. I just thought it´s good to know.
Erika
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Thanks Erika Your input is very useful for others with spina bifida. It is good to know the negative responses also.

Best wishes

Andrew
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Happy Holidays everyone

Almost the end of another year and survived Christmas without a hangover so far :)

Still awaiting updated feedback from those of you who are sleeping inclined. Consider it my christmas pressy :)

Best wishes

Andrew
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

Hi Andrew

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. New Years Day might be the hangover day.

I have been sleeping inclined for just over 3 weeks and I started at just over 5" but have gone down to just over 4" the last couple of days. My husband was having too much difficulty with the 5". We might try to increase as he adjusts to the incline.

So far I have had improved sleep, I am able to sleep for 4 - 6 hours straight. This is a dramatic improvement from prior. I dream and I am not bothered by bladder spasms. My husband doesn't snore anywhere near as much. This is an added benefit.

I haven't noticed any improvements in my physical issues with MS, but I have had major damage done to my veins from CCSVI so I wasn't expecting miracles overnight. We are going to keep the bed inclined.
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

We've been sleeping with a 4" incline for about 18 months now. We feel it helped with Emma's headaches but little else.

We tried to incline slightly higher but found it impractical as we were slipping down the bed.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Munchkin

Thanks for your update, please try to increase the angle as five degrees is optimal for comfort and effect. Below this is obviously better than sleeping flat but is not as effective.

I have just uploaded an instructional video which shows how to convert a wooden framed bed (ours) for inclined bed therapy.
Hopefully this video will help you to make the changes to your own bed without breaking the bank. Ours cost £11 to convert :)

My old bed is now down my sons and already they are both noticing significant changes, no puffy eyes in the morning, waking rested and most of all, his partner who has acne has shown remarkable improvements, her skin appears to be clearing up :)
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

EJC

Thanks for your update. I can imagine that many people who think they are trying IBT have tilted their bed by raising it 4 inches (which is a great way of getting used to sleeping on an incline but should be regarded as a stepping stone onto the five degree angle.

Our own bed angle has been increased by a further 3 cm and we noticed a difference, sliding down the bed for a few days, but this passed as we got used to the angle. Ours is now raised 18cm.

A great way of preventing sliding is to wrap an old quilt / duvet around the mattress under the bottom sheet. The soft wadding will eliminate the sliding problem for you and your partner.

Some people with ms develop pain as nerve pathways open up and this is undoubtedly a cause for concern, but as with prescription medicine it is stated that it is fair to expect some unwanted side effects. However, a little discomfort / inconvenience from slipping is a lot less toxic and non-invasive.

Happy Holidays

Andrew
Amir
Family Elder

Post by Amir »

Andrew

I have recommended IBT to all my MS patients. I shall let you have any feedback that I get.

From What I read in this thread it appears to be useful in other conditions also. I have many ME/CFS patients and others with a host of other problems. I shall try and ask them to try it out also and shall post any feedback I get in the coming months.