SWIMMING & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
saretta

SWIMMING & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

Post by saretta »

Ok, I invite you to see a video I made in spring 2010. Since then conditions and my beliefs changed, but it is a good starting point for understanding what kind of help I need and what research I am doing
dania
Family Elder

Re: SWIMMING & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

Post by dania »

For me, just drinking a glass of water and ice chips makes me stronger within minutes. I notice that the feeling/sensation in my legs becomes almost normal seconds after drinking icy water. For me, I know, it is tied to core body temperature as I am always at my weakest in the afternoon/evening when my body temperature is at it's highest.
Squeakycat
Family Elder

Post by Squeakycat »

There is some useful information on this phenomena known as Uhthoff's phenomenon in the Wikipedia.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

My Diet Coke habit was in part a "any cold drink will do" habit. I am like dania, my afternoons are my weakest.
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

I used to spar kickboxing a few years back. I was in the ring and got clipped on the side of the head with an overhand right. It knocked me silly and caused what I can describe as "temporary nystagmus." I imagine the raised body temperature due to physical exertion, coupled with my brain smashing into the side of my skull (inflammation/heat response) caused this temporary symptom to arise. A hot shower doesn't exacerbate my symptoms, but overall heightened temperature does the trick in some PWMS.

However, the shot didn't knock me down. I finished the round, albeit with eyes crossed. For the rest of the night, I sat out. That was the last time I sparred.

I carefully drove back home, thinking I was having a new MS attack. At home, I drank a blender-full of ice water. I got momentary brain freeze and my vision corrected. I did this for a few more times until I couldn't drink anymore. Then, I went in under very cold water in the shower. I never had problems with spasticity, so the cold water was only very cold and wasn't locking up my muscles. I did this a few more times and with plenty of rest (no physical exertion for a week or so) and eventually my vision came back to normal. Thinking back, it always feels like I dodged a bullet.