'Studies Show Promise for Angioplasty in Multiple Sclerosis'

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

'Studies Show Promise for Angioplasty in Multiple Sclerosis'

Post by Cece »

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/760 ... src%3Dstfb
"This is the first wave of research that has been presented that is beyond just the observational," Michael Dake, MD, professor of cardiothoracic surgery at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, told Medscape Medical News. "It's a nice experience with a large group of patients."
Most practitioners view multiple sclerosis as an autoimmune disease and treat it with drugs that suppress the immune response. "The generally held view is that this is an autoimmune process that's not completely characterized," explained Dr. Dake, who was not involved with either of the studies.
I like that he adds on the part about it not being completely characterized. It's true and it leaves room for a vascular explanation of what's triggering the autoimmune process.

I might borrow that phrasing for future use....

From a discussion in the article about Dr. Farrel's study at Rush:
In 5 of the patients (5.2%), venography and ultrasound were normal; in 89 (94.9%), there was evidence of stenosis.
5% is actually higher than I expect for patients with MS who are not found to have CCSVI.
The surgeons performed angioplasty in all the abnormal veins and put stents in 5 of 179 (2.8%).
2.8% is a nice low percentage, for percentage of patients who get stents.
Complications included 3 instances of jugular vein thrombosis and 3 instances of bleeding at the puncture site.
I think 3 instances of thrombosis is 3 instances too many. I usually say the use of IVUS could reduce the numbers of thrombosis but Dr. Farrel uses IVUS. Perhaps the patients should be maintained on anticoagulants longer?
They administered anticoagulants for 10 days and clopidogrel bisulfate for 6 weeks.
Clopidogrel is Plavix, which is an antiplatelet, and Dr. Arata shared a pdf showing no benefit from the use of Plavix in venous disease. http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/28/3/413.full.pdf
1eye
Family Elder

Re: 'Studies Show Promise for Angioplasty in Multiple Sclero

Post by 1eye »

I was on Plavix for 1 year after having 3 stents put in arteries. 3 months after procedure for CCSVI with no stents. But then I may have a bit of thrombosis in one jugular.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
itsjustme
Family Member

Post by itsjustme »

i had a thrombus at my one week follow-up with dr ferral in 12/10
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

wow a medscape article that says the ccsvi treatment should be available to those patients who ask for it.