FDA Issues Warning on CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby Billmeik » Thu May 10, 2012 6:29 am

Ya I think it's just a beaurocatic hurdle but I smell big brother. Maybe not but I think the pharmas should feel rattled. So much so that they make a few calls. throw a few hurdles.
User avatar
Billmeik
Family Elder
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Advertisement

FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby MarkW » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 am

I am interested in this news, as NICE in the UK is encouraging 'robust controlled research'. Is there any evidence that pharma is behind this move ?? In the UK the anti CCSVI lobby is a neuro led group.
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Registered Pharmacist (UK). 11 years of study around MS.
Mark's CCSVI Report 7-Mar-11:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
User avatar
MarkW
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby 1eye » Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 am

The headline of this topic seems a bit premature. Also, just because some bureaucrat somewhere calls a PTA catheter a "significant risk device", whatever that is when it's at home, does not mean it is not safe enough to be used thousands of times a day in hospitals all over the world. If they object not to the device itself, but to the way it is proposed to be used in a specific trial, they should say so, be prepared to back up that assessment, and not hide behind some meaningless bafflegab. If someone forgot to dot some i's or cross t's in one application to one NIST trial, that does not mean science itself has been halted in it's tracks. I had not heard that the FDA had jurisdiction over what scientists can and cannot do, whether in mouse or human trials. What has a catheter got to do with either food or drugs?
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
User avatar
1eye
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2929
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby tiltawhirl » Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 am

MarkW wrote:Is there any evidence that pharma is behind this move ?? In the UK the anti CCSVI lobby is a neuro led group.MarkW


Imagine my shock! :roll:

:lol:

tilt
...and I for one, welcome our new Neurologist overlords!

My before and after CCSVI treatment video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhosV4_DvWw
Visit my Lego Amusement Rides website http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger
tiltawhirl
Family Elder
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby bestadmom » Thu May 10, 2012 9:30 am

It took one day for the NMSS to jump into the game and turn it around to benefit their biggest supporters - pharma and the neuros.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/n ... x?nid=6354
User avatar
bestadmom
Family Elder
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: CT

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby munchkin » Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 am

This was in The Winnipeg Free Press on line edition.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about the so-called 'liberation therapy,' a controversial procedure that proponents claim helps with the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.

The FDA is warning health-care professionals and patients that injuries and death have been associated with the use of the experimental procedure.

The therapy was devised by Italian physician Paolo Zamboni, who says MS is caused by vein blockages in the neck and upper chest that prevent blood from being drained from the brain.

He says opening these veins with balloon angioplasty reverses symptoms of MS; Zamboni calls the vein blockages chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency or CCSVI.

The FDA says studies exploring a link between MS and CCSVI are inconclusive, and the criteria used to diagnose CCSVI have not been adequately established.

Scores of Canadians have travelled overseas to get the treatment; at least two Canadians are known to have died after undergoing the therapy.

Dr. William Maisel, the chief scientist and deputy director for science in the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, says patients considering the treatment should discuss the pros and cons with a neurologist or other doctor familiar with MS and CCSVI.

In a release, the FDA says it has learned of adverse events experienced by people who have undergone the treatment, including death, stroke, detachment and migration of stents that are sometimes used to open the veins, damage to the treated vein, blood clots, cranial nerve damage and abdominal bleeding associated with the procedure.

The agency says it is informing doctors and researchers that if they want to do clinical trials on CCSVI, they must comply with FDA regulations. Earlier this year the FDA sent a warning letter to a researcher and his or her sponsor after learning they were conducting a trial without FDA approval. The trial has since been stopped.
User avatar
munchkin
Family Elder
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby David1949 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

munchkin wrote:This was in The Winnipeg Free Press on line edition.

The FDA is warning health-care professionals and patients that injuries and death have been associated with the use of the experimental procedure.




OK FDA you warned us now shut up and get out of the way.
David1949
Family Elder
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby 1eye » Thu May 10, 2012 12:05 pm

The FDA is warning health-care professionals and patients that injuries and death have been associated with the use of the experimental procedure.
It's gummint. Took them this long to figure out what happened in California in 2009? I am concerned that the powers that be are going to try to shut down Brad Wall's trial by remote control. Maybe he should move it to Poland? Or Mexico? You know, free countries.

"FDA Warns Doctors Tonsil Operations Lead To Sore Throats."
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
User avatar
1eye
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2929
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby Cece » Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Here's the actual communication from FDA. I don't like it.
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safet ... 303318.htm
Among their recommendations:
Before considering CCSVI treatment, discuss the potential risks and benefits with a neurologist or other health care provider who is familiar with MS and CCSVI (including the CCSVI procedures and their outcomes).
If you decide to undergo diagnostic and/or treatment procedures for CCSVI, continue to follow the MS treatment plan outlined by your neurologist or the provider caring for your MS.
Why is the FDA involved with this? Some of us continue our MS regimen and some do not. The choice to pursue CCSVI treatment and the choice to submit to ongoing medications with dangerous side effects are separate choices. I have discussed CCSVI with my neurologist and I believe that someone less informed on CCSVI than myself would be misled by some of the things my neurologist had to say.
Some individuals, organizations and websites promote an experimental treatment of CCSVI that uses balloon angioplasty devices or stents to widen the narrowed internal jugular or azygos veins.
Are we promoting CCSVI treatment? Or are we sharing information, discussing research, and sharing our own experiences with the procedure, both good and bad? There is a difference there. The information shared here has been far more accurate than the information shared by my neurologist.
The FDA encourages research to evaluate the relationship between CCSVI and MS and to characterize the safety and effectiveness of treatment procedures. Rigorously conducted, properly targeted research can provide a more complete understanding of the existence of CCSVI and any relationship between CCSVI and MS, which will help people with the disease and their clinicians make the best treatment decisions.
They are distinguishing between CCSVI and MS as separate entities, which is an often-lost important point.
Cece
Family Elder
 
Posts: 9022
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby fiddler » Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I've been away from TIM'S for most of this last year.. But this headline made me think I'd gone back two years in time since the same BS game was being played then, with the same falsehoods and arguments... Time for them to get a new scriptwriter. You'd think that with the billions backing the effort, they could do better than that.

It's now just over two years since my Polish adventure (ballooned both jugs, stent in left). Most of my improvements from that procedure have mostly held up: fatigue is still better than pre-liberation, my balance is still better, as is my autonomic functions. About 6 months ago I started to feel a little more tired and balance a little worse, so I had a second round in California two months ago. With that treatment (ballooning of rt jug and azygous, verifying that left jug stent is still fine), I saw no improvement... sometimes you win big, sometimes you don't.

Thirty months ago, at the rate I was going downhill, I expected to be in a wheelchair quite soon. We were thinking about all the things we were doing for the last time. We haven't talked about "last time" things since my first liberation. With my fatigue and balance still better than it was then, I still am able to walk. For me, this has been more than worth the FDA's "significant risk".

...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
User avatar
fiddler
Family Elder
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Fredericton, Canada

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby Squeakycat » Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Cece wrote:Here's the actual communication from FDA. I don't like it.
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safet ... 303318.htm
Among their recommendations:
Before considering CCSVI treatment, discuss the potential risks and benefits with a neurologist or other health care provider who is familiar with MS and CCSVI (including the CCSVI procedures and their outcomes).
If you decide to undergo diagnostic and/or treatment procedures for CCSVI, continue to follow the MS treatment plan outlined by your neurologist or the provider caring for your MS.
Why is the FDA involved with this?
The FDA encourages research to evaluate the relationship between CCSVI and MS and to characterize the safety and effectiveness of treatment procedures. Rigorously conducted, properly targeted research can provide a more complete understanding of the existence of CCSVI and any relationship between CCSVI and MS, which will help people with the disease and their clinicians make the best treatment decisions.


I wonder which neurologist(s) wrote the FDA press release?

    ITEM . . . . discuss the potential risks and benefits with a neurologist
    ITEM . . . . continue to follow the MS treatment plan outlined by your neurologist
    ITEM . . . . MS is a progressive, immune-mediated disorder of the brain and spinal cord

I may have been somewhat alarmist in titling this thread, but I smelled a rat and now the FDA has gone public.

In my experience, you can always count on the FDA to side with manufacturers over the public. Bet my last penny that the agency did not initiate this activity without a little push from manufacturers or their lackeys with an interest in keeping MS patients on drugs.
User avatar
Squeakycat
Family Elder
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Yehud, Israel

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby bestadmom » Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey Squeakycat,

It sounds like my neuro, Aaron Miller, the head neuro for the NMSS talking. The only thing missing was "You are going to die on the table."
User avatar
bestadmom
Family Elder
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: CT

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby tiltawhirl » Thu May 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Squeakycat wrote:
Cece wrote:Here's the actual communication from FDA. I don't like it.
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safet ... 303318.htm
Among their recommendations:
Before considering CCSVI treatment, discuss the potential risks and benefits with a neurologist or other health care provider who is familiar with MS and CCSVI (including the CCSVI procedures and their outcomes).
If you decide to undergo diagnostic and/or treatment procedures for CCSVI, continue to follow the MS treatment plan outlined by your neurologist or the provider caring for your MS.
Why is the FDA involved with this?
The FDA encourages research to evaluate the relationship between CCSVI and MS and to characterize the safety and effectiveness of treatment procedures. Rigorously conducted, properly targeted research can provide a more complete understanding of the existence of CCSVI and any relationship between CCSVI and MS, which will help people with the disease and their clinicians make the best treatment decisions.


I wonder which neurologist(s) wrote the FDA press release?

    ITEM . . . . discuss the potential risks and benefits with a neurologist
    ITEM . . . . continue to follow the MS treatment plan outlined by your neurologist
    ITEM . . . . MS is a progressive, immune-mediated disorder of the brain and spinal cord

I may have been somewhat alarmist in titling this thread, but I smelled a rat and now the FDA has gone public.

In my experience, you can always count on the FDA to side with manufacturers over the public. Bet my last penny that the agency did not initiate this activity without a little push from manufacturers or their lackeys with an interest in keeping MS patients on drugs.


That jumped out at me too. I didn't discuss this plan with my Neuro at all. It was almost like I was hiding it. Suuure I am going to go to him for his input when I know damn well he'll start with the bee stings drivel.


bestadmom wrote:Hey Squeakycat,

It sounds like my neuro, Aaron Miller, the head neuro for the NMSS talking. The only thing missing was "You are going to die on the table."


This is utterly shocking, laugh out loud hilarious, and very sad all at the same time. Only a Neurologist would contrive such a collective CF of negative propaganda.


tilt
...and I for one, welcome our new Neurologist overlords!

My before and after CCSVI treatment video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhosV4_DvWw
Visit my Lego Amusement Rides website http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger
tiltawhirl
Family Elder
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: FDA Shutting Down CCSVI Research

Postby Squeakycat » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 pm

bestadmom wrote:Hey Squeakycat,

It sounds like my neuro, Aaron Miller, the head neuro for the NMSS talking. The only thing missing was "You are going to die on the table."


Bet they are drinking champagne tonight at the NMSS after this coup. (The bubbly was sent over by the MS Drug Manufacturers Association with a note that read, "Good Work!") :>)

They did say you are going to die, they just left out the bit about on the table.

Adverse Events: CCSVI procedures have been associated with serious, even fatal, complications. The FDA has received reports of one patient who died from bleeding in the brain and one patient who suffered permanent paralysis from a stroke after CCSVI treatment. Other serious complications of the CCSVI procedure reported primarily as individual incidents or case series in medical journals include: at least one death, stents migrating from their original location to another part of the body (including the heart), venous injury, blood clots forming in the jugular vein or in stents, blood clots in a vein in the brain, cranial nerve damage, and abdominal bleeding. The frequency of these serious complications is not known.


Yesterday when I saw what happened with Dr. Mehta, I smelled a rat. Today the sucker ran right out across the room waving this FDA Safety Communications.

Let's at least hope that the manufacturers and brainiologists provided some intensive care lubricant when they told the FDA to bend over. :>)
User avatar
Squeakycat
Family Elder
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Yehud, Israel

SIR Response to FDA Safety Communication

Postby Squeakycat » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

User avatar
Squeakycat
Family Elder
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Yehud, Israel

PreviousNext

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service