Canadian Liberal Press Release

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
1eye
Family Elder

Canadian Liberal Press Release

Post by 1eye »

For Immediate Release
June 22, 2012

Liberals Call for Study into Stalled MS Registry and Clinical Trials

TORONTO— Liberal MP Dr. Kirsty Duncan issued the following statement today on the Liberal Party’s plans to help Canadians living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS):

“Between 55,000 and 75,000 Canadians live with MS and over 400 are lost to this terrible disease every year. Despite these stark statistics, the Harper Conservatives have failed to provide leadership to help treat the disease and help Canadians who suffer from it. That is why I will be introducing a Private Member’s Motion calling on the Standing Committee on Health to study the Canadian Institutes of Health Research’s (CIHR) handling of clinical trials for treatment of Chronic Cerebro-Spinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI) and a registry to track the health of Canadians who undergo the procedure outside of Canada.

In May of 2010, Liberals called on the government to initiate clinical trials on CCSVI treatment and to create a registry. The Conservatives initially refused and only adopted the Liberal plan after intense pressure, but have failed to provide either a timeline or any substantial details. To date, neither a registry nor a trial has been established.

Canadians with MS are waiting, getting sicker, and in some cases, dying. Yet the Conservatives are doing nothing. We have asked for action, but have received only empty promises. Enough is enough. I will be calling on the Standing Committee on Health to study the government’s inaction and put forward constructive ideas to help Canadians living with MS.”

Press Office
Office of the Liberal Leader
613-947-5100

Pour diffusion immédiate
Le 22 juin 2012

Les libéraux demandent une étude sur le registre stagnant de la SP et les essais cliniques

TORONTO— La députée libérale, la Dre Kristy Duncan, a fait la déclaration suivante aujourd’hui au sujet des plans du Parti libéral visant à aider les Canadiens souffrant de la sclérose en plaques (SP) :

« Entre 55 000 et 75 000 Canadiens souffrent de cette terrible maladie et plus de 400 d’entre eux en meurent chaque année. Malgré ces statistiques accablantes, les conservateurs de Harper n’ont fait preuve d’aucun leadership pour traiter cette maladie et aider les Canadiens qui en souffrent. C’est pourquoi je déposerai une motion d’initiative parlementaire demandant au Comité permanent de la santé d’étudier la gestion des essais cliniques relatifs au traitement de l’insuffisance veineuse céphalorachidienne chronique (IVCC) et le registre servant à suivre l’état de santé des Canadiens qui reçoivent ce traitement à l’étranger.

En mai 2010, les libéraux ont demandé au gouvernement d’entreprendre des essais cliniques sur l’IVCC et de créer un registre. Les conservateurs avaient d’abord refusé et n’avaient adopté le plan libéral qu’après d’énormes pressions, mais ils n’ont donné aucun échéancier ni renseignement concrets. À ce jour, pas même un registre ou des essais cliniques n’ont été mis en place.

Les Canadiens souffrant de la SP attendent, deviennent de plus en plus malades et dans certains cas, perdent la vie. Malgré tout, les conservateurs ne font rien. Nous leur avons demandé de prendre des mesures, mais n’avons reçu que des promesses vides. C’en est assez, je demanderai au Comité permanent de la santé d’étudier l’inaction du gouvernement et de présenter des idées constructives pour aider les Canadiens souffrant de la SP. »

Renseignements :

Service de presse
Bureau du chef libéral
613-947-5100
System administered by LPC / Système administré par le PLC
Liberal Party of Canada
81 Metcalfe Street, Suite 600
Ottawa, ON K1P 6M8
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”