Cholesterol Repairs Damaged Brains

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dania
Family Elder

Cholesterol Repairs Damaged Brains

Post by dania »

CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Cholesterol Repairs Damaged Brains

Post by CureOrBust »

This has concerned me the most about using Lipitor for my MS. I think the Lipitor helped early on, but it could be a double edged sword. Is there a type or Cholesterol that the Statins do not fight, that is good for the brain? I was looking into Nervonic acid (a long chain fatty acid), but have not been too successful at getting a hold of it.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Coconut oil comes to mind. It must increase cholesterol? It is also full of ketones which are an alternative source of energy for the brain. Coconut oil is part of the ketogenic diet that may benefit Alzheimer's or parkinson's patients. It has a nice flavor too. I use it about once a week.

Thanks for the link, dania. It's counter-intuitive after always hearing that cholesterol is bad for you.

Weren't statins suspected to be good for MS and then that didn't pan out? They was a lot of talk about statins back when I was diagnosed (2006) but not much since then.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I am on a huge dose of Lipitor for life, for my heart. It lowers LD cholesterols. For balance you have to have enough HD, since not enough LD might be worse than too much. So I eat a lot of almonds and almond butter. I'd rather have HDTV, but there you are.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Ah geeze! Here we go with the rodent studies again! Time for me to tell this story again:

Many years ago researchers announced they were able to grow new fur on bald rats. Of course that gave me hope that they would soon have a way to grow new hair on my balding head. Well it's been at least 20 years since then and I still don't have hair on top of my head... not even rat fur!!

The bottom line is; human beings are not rodents.... well most of us anyway.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

David1949 wrote:
Agreed, David! Copaxone cures mice of EAE (lucky rat bas***ds)

Here's a study in human brains---albeit aging humans.
Prior research has demonstrated links among vascular health and the occurrence of stroke, mild cognitive decline, and dementia in older adults. However, little is known about whether normal variation in vascular indicators may be related to changes in neural tissue integrity. Even less is known about how the brain is affected by cholesterol levels in the normal to moderate risk range, leading up to overt disease pathology. This study examined associations between serum lipid levels and DTI indicators of white matter (WM) structural integrity in a sample of 125 generally healthy older adults aged 43–87 years. Whole-brain voxelwise analysis, controlling for age and gender, revealed low density lipoprotein levels (LDL) as the most robust correlate of regional WM structural integrity of the measured lipids. Higher LDL was associated with decreased WM integrity in right frontal and temporal regions, the superior longitudinal fasciculus and internal/external capsules. Increasing LDL was associated with increased radial and axial diffusivity; however, more widespread statistical effects were found for radial diffusivity. These findings suggest that normal interindividual variation in lipid levels is associated with compromised regional WM integrity, even in individuals below clinical thresholds for hyperlipidemia. Given the prevalence of cholesterol-associated sequelae in older adults, and mounting evidence suggesting a vascular role in the etiology of dementia, the current data suggest that understanding the relationship between cholesterol and brain tissue microstructure may have important clinical implications for early detection of vascular-related cognitive disorders and optimal regulation of serum lipids to maintain neural health in older adults.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0/abstract

Obviously, fats are important to brain health and integrity, but this needs to be looked at in terms of endothelial health and blood flow from the heart to the brain, too. The brain does not exist in a vaccum. Too much LDL increasing cholesterol (which comes from saturated fats/animal fats/transfats) can contribute to blood vessel blockage and hypoperfusion. HDL is one way to balance that--good fats include coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, avocados) Here's some more info on how to raise HDL and decrease LDL with diet and lifestyle modifications.
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/choles ... iseHDL.htm

Here's an excellent write up on the need for good quality fats and the history of human brain development.
http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html
and if people can get their LDL and HDL levels into the healthy zone, without statins, so much better for their livers! But this isn't possible for everyone... all things in balance and moderation,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

David1949 wrote:Ah geeze! Here we go with the rodent studies again! Time for me to tell this story again:

Many years ago researchers announced they were able to grow new fur on bald rats. Of course that gave me hope that they would soon have a way to grow new hair on my balding head. Well it's been at least 20 years since then and I still don't have hair on top of my head... not even rat fur!!

lol!

here is a plan:
first, find hogwarts
second, shapeshift into a rat (see: Scabbers)
third, let the researchers cure you of MS and baldness
fourth, shapeshift back, and stay cured

It is a four step plan. I see no flaws.
tiltawhirl
Family Elder

Post by tiltawhirl »

David1949 wrote:Ah geeze! Here we go with the rodent studies again! Time for me to tell this story again:

lol! I'll stop by with some rat furs and a stapler if you like. You aren't on Pradax are you?

I have seen so many flip flops on diet related health news in my 35 years of knowing or caring about such things. One of the commitments I made to myself when I got diagnosed was that there was no f-ing way I would be compromising on my diet. I am going to eat whatever I want to eat; screw healthy foods and special supplements. I don't care if it erases years from my life. As long as I don't have to eat weird health foods it will be worth it.

tilt
...and I for one, welcome our new Neurologist overlords!

My before and after CCSVI treatment video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhosV4_DvWw
Visit my Lego Amusement Rides website http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

tiltawhirl wrote:
lol! I'll stop by with some rat furs and a stapler if you like.

tilt
HMM! That might work. Although I think I'd try some super glue instead of staples.

I like the brown and white rat fur. I think it would give me a look of "a touch of gray".

Dave