Clotted Azygous??

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
LR1234
Family Elder

Clotted Azygous??

Post by LR1234 »

Hello,
Apart from Dania....Has anyone else got a clotted Azygous? If so how are the Dr's treating you? What are your symptoms?

Sorry if you are in this situation.

I suspect something is happening with my azygous after ballooning 2 years ago.

Thanks
dania
Family Elder

Re: Clotted Azygous??

Post by dania »

Mine was not clotted. Scarring.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Ok, thanks for the correction x

After the scarring it is now clotted above the scarring?

Did the dr's recheck your Azygous when you had the Jugular vein surgery?

Have you had any weird heart symptoms since the scarring now fluttering heart?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

The azygous has constant flow not posture-dependent flow like the jugulars which should reduce the risk of clotting. But I heard from a good source about two years ago that a patient whose azygous clotted had resulted in paraplegia.
To check the azygous you could get an MRV or an transesophageal doppler down the throat or a catheter venogram.
I would expect a clotted or scarred azygous to happen within the first weeks or months after the procedure, not two years out. I hope you don't have it. And I'd rather we not hear from anyone in this thread because I'd rather this be very uncommon.
Fluttering heart could be autonomic system, couldn't it? Which would be brain not spinal cord.
(Not a doctor.)
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

LR1234 wrote:Ok, thanks for the correction x

After the scarring it is now clotted above the scarring?

Did the dr's recheck your Azygous when you had the Jugular vein surgery?

Have you had any weird heart symptoms since the scarring now fluttering heart?
Just blocked with scarring. I Asked Dr H about the azygous and he said they way he did it takes care of the problem of the azygous. No heart fluttering.
Rosegirl
Family Elder

Post by Rosegirl »

I'm not sure if "clotted" is the same as "restenosed", but my azygous was successfully treated in July 2010. The only improvement was the "HD" vision improvement.

I was retreated in April 2011 and the azygous was 70% stenosed. It was successfully opened. The IJVs, renal and iliac veins were also stenosed (70 - 95%) and successfully opened, but there was no change in my condition.

I was treated again in April 2012 and the azygous was 80% stenosed, so now I have a 10x80mm stent as that was the only way to keep it open. The LIJV was 100% closed and other veins were at least 50% closed. The LIJV couldn'[t be opened. There was no change in my condition that day.

The day after the third procedure, I found myself feeling extraordinarily happy, just like when I was in my 20s and 30s. Since that time, all the mental stress of dealing with MS has basically disappeared. I no longer get mad or frustrated that each step is so difficult. Every day used to be filled with anger and all the other negative emotions that so many of us deal with, all day, every day. All that negative stuff is gone, just gone. My only impairment is that my left leg never wanted to move, and that is still the case, but my attitude is completely different and life is sooooooo much better.

Two other things to report -

First, I am getting strawberry marks (hemangiomas) all over my body since the last procedure. Perhaps it's because of many collateral veins being formed?

And second, I've started phyical therapy again. In the past, the therapist would eventually say that PT was not helping.

I've started again about 2 weeks after the procedure and finally, there is some progress. Even when there's a move that I can't seem to do (which is almost everything), within a couple of days, I can at least do a little. Even the therapists are amazed.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I see two things as very hopeful for you. One is the exercise, which can only help, so keep it up. Perhaps it is true that PT is helping more, but I can't help thinking you have a new, less pessimistic therapist.

That brings me to the second thing. I think it is very very significant that you had an improvement in your "happiness quotient", or mental state. I think this, because I think it is largely unrecognized that a major, major symptom of MS/CCSVI, is clinical depression, which may be bipolar, or not. I think the suicide rate tells us, is a very common, devastating symptom. It is on the brink of breaking up my family. I have only recently realized that mental illness, though it might not be caused by germs, is definitely contagious. Possibly the only way forward is for us all to be treated for mental illness.

I can't wait to hear the results from the Saskatchewan trial.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Rosegirl
Family Elder

Post by Rosegirl »

1eye, The first two therapists were several years apart and at different locations. Both started with great enthusiasm, but stretching, riding a stationary bike and trying to use a treadmill were the basics of their program. The current therapists are approaching things entirely differently, working with one small muscle at a time. Each time they start on a new target, the muscle just doesn't react at all, or so it seems. But when I return a few days later, there's at least a little movement, and this has happened in every instance. They are as astonished as I am, and this improvement, while slow, has steadily progressed for more than 9 weeks. They assumed I would reach a plateau long ago, but it hasn't happened.

And as for depression, how could a person not be depressed, angry and frustrated when abilities flicker on and off, or just quit altogether? I don't commit to any big projects any more, just because I can't count on being able to move that day (or that hour!). So that makes it all the more surprising that I feel such happiness. I still can't walk two consecutive steps, but even before I started therapy, all that negative stuff was just gone.

Hope is a miraculous thing, all by itself.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I agree completely! Hope is better than any drug. I call it the "Hope Effect". It is much, much better than "placebo".
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”